Cheese and Vegetable Soup

Cheese and Vegetable Soup

This has been a Willahan family favorite for years. I never take it anywhere that I’m not asked for the recipe. It is a wonderful recipe that turns out great every time. There are no instructions for this one that say vague things like…”salt and pepper to taste”, or add “about this much water”. Nope. None of that. It’s specific and easy to follow. You need about 1 hour from start to finish and it makes a TON. It’s fabulous to take as a pot luck dish. It fills up my entire 8 quart crock pot. Happy soup making. You can’t go wrong with this one!
Cheese and Vegetable Soup
Time: 1 hour
Yield: 15 generous servings
Recipe from Pam Willahan

6 large potatoes
1 large onion
7 large carrots
12 C HOT water
12 chicken bullion cubes
3 sticks butter
1 1/2 C flour
1 16 oz jar cheese whiz

1. Peel and chop the vegetables. Place them in a large pot filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook until crisp tender. When they are done pour them into a strainer to get rid of the water.
2. In a separate LARGE soup pot melt the butter over medium heat.
3. When the butter has melted, add your flour. Stir it in really well with a whisk. It will make a silky smooth mixture.
4. Add your 12 cups hot water. I just use my hottest tap water, you don’t need it to be boiling.
5. Add the bullion cubes.
6. Stir the mixture until it starts to thicken up. It shouldn’t take long. Adding hot water helps cut down on the thickening time.
7. When the soup has thickened add the jar of cheese whiz. Stir to incorporate.
8. Add your cooked veggies. (Do not add any of the water you used to cook them in.)  That’s it! Enjoy!

November 15, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Oh that looks Yummy!! Thanks for Sharing it!! Stopping by from SITS!

November 15, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Can I just say…PLEASE don't ever quit this blog. I love it. Miss you Jamie!

November 15, 2009 at 6:41 pm

This soup looks delish! Thanks for stoppin' by my blog. I aim to try at least two recipes a week. Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

November 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm

My fam loves this recipe mine is really similar. I'm not a fan of onion though (nor are most of my siblings) so we use 2 tablespoons onion powder. Oh and I add celery.

February 7, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Astrid August 16, 2011 You remembered all those covons? I’m crying my pretty eyeballs out while reading this; I nearly died of dehydration (Ok this is exag already) For the longest time I was wondering when are you going to blog about me. (Hahaha. Conceited much? BUT HEY, you love me right? You conceited, I’m conceited. Great minds think alike!) I just thought of another formula (the Joseph the Dreamer one; will let you know soon) What I really, truly wanna say is:Hi I’m Astrid. I love you, my friend.

November 27, 2009 at 3:41 pm

This really jumped out at me for the day after Thanksgiving (to go with all those turkey sandwiches) I can't wait to try it! Thanks for great ideas…

November 30, 2009 at 1:49 am

We just had this soup tonight and all my kids loved it. I was a little short on my potato supply so I added a bag of frozen broccoli. It was really yummy!

January 19, 2011 at 12:22 am

I made this along with your quick and easy breadsticks tonight for my family and my sister that just had a baby. We LOVED it! I thought my sister would enjoy a comforting home cooked meal on a cold night just home from the hospital, and it was a hit! I love that it makes so much so I could kill 2 birds with one stone. :) Love your blog!

melanie
    October 29, 2011 at 4:08 am

Jamie, You're amazing for getting these ideas on your blog tonight, I really needed some ideas for halloween! I have a question about the bullion cubes in this soup, what flavor do I use? I know this is a dumb question, but I rarely cook with them, is there more flavors than beef or chicken? Thank you!!!!

October 29, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Hi Melanie,
    Thanks for letting me know I'd forgotten to add the kind of bullion needed. Chicken bullion is the right choice for this recipe. Thanks! Have a great day!

December 4, 2011 at 2:10 am

Hi Jamie! I tried this tonight, and it turned out delicious. I halved the recipe, as there were only three of us, and I still have an insane amount left over, lol. Also, my son is really picky about veggies, so I cut him some slack tonight and just served him the cheesey part of the soup before mixing in the veggies. He was a happy boy, dunking in some french bread. I think next time I will add some green veggies of some sort. It was a really great comfort meal. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

-Jessica

May 4, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I love your blog and haven't tried a thing from here that my family didn't like. Just thought I'd mention that I make a soup just like this, but it pairs so well with so many more veggies! We add celery, broccoli, and cauliflower to the onion, potatoes, and carrots. It's always nice to throw in a little of everything that I have left hanging out in the fridge. Thanks for all the great recipes!

Christina
    March 12, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I don’t have cheez whiz, but I do have the campbell’s cheddar cheese soup…do you think that would work?