Homemade Won Tons with Dipping Sauce

Homemade Won Tons with Dipping Sauce

These fabulous homemade Won Tons are a great Eskelson Family Tradition. My father in law Mark,  spent 2 years as an LDS missionary in Japan, and MyHandsomeHusband served a mission in Korea. They both learned to love them while they were serving, and have since put in many hours making them for family. They certainly take some time, but the finished product is well worth the work involved. My kids are great at filling the won ton shells, we usually make them on a Sunday afternoon when everyone is available to help. We also make them at least once a summer while at Bear Lake with our Eskelson family
…many hands make light work.
The dipping sauce is another of MyHandsomeHusband’s fabulous creations.  This recipe makes about 100 won tons, so depending on how many you are serving (and obviously, how hearty of an appetite they have!) you could half this recipe if you chose to. The dipping sauce will keep in the refrigerator for a good long time, up to 2 months. My kids like to pour it on top of plain rice.
Hope you try it…..I know you’ll love it!
Won tons
Filling:
1/2 head green cabbage
2 onions
2-3 large carrots
1 T ginger
1 1/2 t salt
1 t red pepper flakes
1 lb ground beef
1/2 t black pepper
2-3 cloves garlic
1 egg
Shells:
2  50 count pkg won ton wrappers (found in the produce section)
flour and water (1 part flour to 2 parts water)
Dipping Sauce:
1 C rice vinegar
1/2 C soy sauce
1 t red pepper flakes
1 t sesame oil
1/2 t toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1/2 C sugar
1. Chop the veggies up super small. We actually put them in a mini food processor, a few at a time to get them the right size. You want to be careful not to turn them to mush.
2. Mix the veggies, seasonings, and hamburger together. Add the egg and mix well. Adam usually just puts his hands in the bowl and mixes it all up that way.
3. Mix the flour and water together to make a paste.
4. Lay four won ton wrappers out at a time in a square. Dip your finger in the paste and then coat the inside edges of the wrappers with it. You can see in the picture below which edges have the paste on them.
5. Place about 1 T of meat mixture into the center of each wrapper.
6. Fold the edges of each wrapper together, and press so the paste has a chance to seal. Repeat with all wrappers.
7. In a large skillet heat 1 T olive oil. Fry the won tons over medium heat (covered) for about 5-6 minutes. Remove the lid, turn the won tons over and cook for another 5-6 minutes (uncovered)
8. After all the won tons are cooked (we usually have 2 fry pans and an electric skillet all going at the same time to speed things up) pour the Dipping Sauce ingredients into the hot fry pan. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Let it heat through for about 2 minutes. Pour into a serving dish and you are ready to eat. We serve it with piping hot white rice.

November 29, 2009 at 4:32 am

Uh, Yum!!!! I'm totally going to try these out soon. I LOVE WON TONS! Happy Sat SITS!

Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner

April 19, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Wow, these look positively scrumptious. I wish i could come for dinner :)

May 15, 2010 at 1:32 pm

These look delicious…and your daughters are adorable!!

May 21, 2010 at 12:52 am

No wonder it's Korean dipping source :)

June 2, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Wow i just came across your blog and i absolutely cant wait to try some of your recipes. This one especially looks awesome. mmmm

I have been looking for a while now for a Soft and Chewy Chocolate chip cookie recipe. I was wondering if you know a good one?

June 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Anonymous,
    Funny you should ask about chocolate chip cookies. I have a recipe I am planning to post this week sometime. It's fabulous! Been making them for years..hope you enjoy the recipes!

July 5, 2010 at 9:27 pm

These are so so so so good! My husband and I just finished making and eating them and it's probably now our favorite dinner (your sweet pork is tied with it)! I'll be sharing your blog with lots of friends!

October 18, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Those look so good. Is the hamburger raw….and it cooks enough in 5-6 minutes? What about the juices/liquid from the meat? Sorry, I'm one of those people who needs real specific instructions. I was the kid in class who, after the teacher was done talking, was always looking around, “What did she say? What do we do first?”

October 19, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Ann,
    The hamburger is raw when you put it in. They usually cook up just fine. You need to cook them 5-6 minutes on each side. Good luck! Hope they turn out well.

January 10, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Hi Jamie!
    This recipe looks really great. I have one question though. I'm pregnant and am a little weird about ground beef right now. Do you think this would taste good with ground turkey or ground chicken??

January 10, 2011 at 9:28 pm

J and L,
    I bet it would work out just fine to use ground turkey or chicken. Let me know how it goes!

February 19, 2011 at 2:26 am

Jamie!
    We tried them out with ground turkey and it was fantastic!! We had a hard time getting an even brown on the wontons, but its probably operator error (and our uneven electric stove!). Still flavors were wonderful!
    Have you ever tried frying them in a fryer?? (my husband's asking… you know, anytime he can use the fryer…)
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Lauren

February 23, 2011 at 5:00 am

Lauren,
    So glad to hear you loved them! And yes, you can deep fry them.
    Have a good one!

March 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Excellent way to post a recipe. Wontons are commonly boiled and served in soup or sometimes deep-fried, but this is completely different at the same time is something easy to make. There are several common regional variations of shape.23jj

Diana
    July 26, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I used ground turkey for this recipe and it was SO GOOD! I didn't care for the dipping sauce though. It was too vinegary (is that a word?) for me.

JaNae Lee
    January 21, 2012 at 12:17 am

We have started substituting the ground beef for mild sausage. I LOVE the flavor! Totally changes it…in a good way! YAY!! We also put approx 2T of peanut butter in the dipping sauce. (soy butter actually- because our oldest is allergic to PB). WHOA!! FLAVOR!!! I am kind of lazy, so I put a bag of coleslaw in place of the cabbage, carrot and stuff. I do add the onions, though. This is now a Lee family favorite. I get requests from my in-law bro/sisters to “come to my house for won tons”. They feed an army and everyone LOVES them.

Megan E.
    September 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I know this recipe was posted awhile ago, but man were these tasty!! I also took a shortcut and bought a bag of broccoli/carrot slaw and threw it in the food processor-tasted great! I ended up with a fair amount of meat leftover, but not enough to use a whole extra package of wontons-any ideas of what to do with the extra meat? I can’t wait to make these again!! Thanks for this recipe and the many others you share. :)

September 20, 2012 at 8:59 am

Hi Megan,
      I’m so glad you loved these, they are a family favorite around here. :) If you have leftover meat filling, you can freeze it and then use it another time. Just be sure to let it thaw completlety. It will be a little bit “wet” but if you press the liquid from it you should be fine. Good luck!

Tammy Henderson
    January 31, 2013 at 8:17 pm

This looks wonderful. We lived in Japan for many years, and my kids are totally missing the food. Have you ever frozen the wontons before frying them? There’s only 4 of us here and I think 100 would be a bit much for us to eat.

Thanks so much for this site. You are my go-to for menu planning ’cause all your recipes are great! :o )

Anna
    May 10, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Hey jamie, I love your site! I was wondering if you could go ahead and cook the filling the night before and then put them into the wonton paper?

May 12, 2014 at 8:40 am

Anna,
      The filling and the outer shell need to cook together to make these great. Best of luck!

Sara
    July 9, 2014 at 8:34 am

These look great – my only issue is that I cook for just 1 – 2 people every day and always have leftover produce go bad because I cannot eat it in time. Have you ever made these in advance and froze them? Wondering if they would still be good (and as I am new to this freezer cooking method), am assuming it would have to be frozen uncooked and then cooked when ready to eat?

July 12, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Sara,
      I haven’t ever frozen the actual stuffed wontons, so I’m not sure how it would work out. I imagine if you could lay them out flat on a cookie sheet and freeze, then store them in a ziploc bag they would be fine. I have however frozen the filling with great success. Just let it thaw when you are ready to stuff the won ton wrappers and you will be good to go. Best of luck to you!