Pumpkin Roll

Pumpkin Roll

I had a great time this week with two wonderful friends, Cindi and Julie.We made a bunch of pumpkin rolls for our neighborhood bake sale. My sweet friend Cindi is a crafter of many fine deserts and even caters small events on occasion. She is the master of The Pumpkin Roll. I had a great time learning the tricks of her trade. I hope you will enjoy the recipe and tips for this fall classic. This recipe makes one Pumpkin Roll.
Pumpkin Roll

1 C sugar
Filling:
1 C powdered sugar
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
6 T butter, softened
1 t vanilla
1. Put the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat on high for 4-5 minutes. You want the mixture to turn nice and creamy white like the picture above.
2. Add the pumpkin and mix until incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients.
4. Add the dry ingredients into your mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
5. This Pam spray has flour added to it and is great for baking. It really helps things NOT stick. Spray a little circle of it in the center of a jelly roll pan. Line the pan with a piece of wax paper and then spray it with cooking spray.
6. Spread the batter out evenly over the wax paper. “Evenly” is the key here. You want it to be as smooth as possible.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
8. While the cake is baking, lay out a clean dish towel onto your counter. It needs to be a “flour sack” dishtowel, not the kind of dish towel that is made out of terry cloth. Cindi told me they are available even at Wal mart!
9. Sprinkle powdered sugar all over the dish towel.
10. As soon as the cake is finished baking, carefully loosen the edges with a knife and then dump it onto the dish towel.
11. Remove the wax paper.
12. Cut off any jagged edges.
13. Roll it all up! Set it on a wire rack to cool.
14. While the roll is cooling make the filling.
15. Beat the cream cheese and butter together for about 2 minutes, or until smooth.
16. Add the other ingredients and beat until smooth and silky.
17. When the cake is completely cooled, unroll it and spread the frosting evenly over the top.
18. Roll it all up again and lay it seam side down on top of some plastic wrap.
19. Wrap the roll in plastic wrap and then in tin foil.
20. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. They also freeze very well.
This is Cindi the sweet, maker of fabulous eats!

November 23, 2009 at 3:05 am

I was just thinking I wish I had the recipe for this! Thanks for posting it. I am just sorry I couldn't join you in this lesson!

November 23, 2009 at 12:57 pm

This is easy enough…and yummy, too! I'm excited to try it. Of course it will have to wait until after Thanksgiving. It's pie we eat on Thanksgiving.

November 23, 2009 at 3:25 pm

This looks incredibly delicious! Yum. Happy Thanksgiving!

Stopping in from SITS.

November 24, 2009 at 4:50 am

We bought one of these at the bake sale. It was wonderful!

October 2, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Hi Jamie,

Love your blog! Just wondering if the flour measurement is correct? I have a similar recipe and calls for 3/4 cup flour.

Thanks,
    annie

October 3, 2010 at 12:38 am

Annie,
    Thanks so much for your question. It does indeed need 3/4 C flour.Thanks for catching the error and bringing it to my attention! Have a great night!

February 7, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your wietbse, how could i subscribe for a blog wietbse? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

October 3, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Jamie! I went looking for my other recipe when I saw this but I like the spicing of this one better…I will try it out this week. My family and friends have already devoured two batches of your White Chocolate Coconut cookies…so decadent!!! Thanks again for all of the great recipes!

Best regards,
    Annie

November 16, 2010 at 4:55 am

I made this over the weekend. It's in the freezer until Thanksgiving so I don't know how it turned out. When I unrolled mine to put on the filling, the cake really stuck to the towel. Maybe I let it sit too long? Also, your main pic looks moist on the outside, not with the powdered sugar dusting like the example in the instructions. Mine looked somewhere in between since the top layer all came off with the towel.

November 16, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Connie,
    I think you will be pleased with the taste of this wonderful treat. My first thoughts on your unrolling issue,is that you need to put more powdered sugar on the towel and be sure that your cake is just out of the oven. The powdered sugar should absorb just a bit in the cake, if it is warm. Thanks. Hope this helps. I'm sure it will taste great!

Michelle
    March 14, 2011 at 6:02 am

I had a pumpkin roll recipe that i used for years! And loved it! then i lost it. Until now, all i could find to replace my recipe were the one's on the back of the food cans which were not as flavorful and didnt hold up. i just came across your website today and found this recipe. i cant wait to try it. it looks exactly like the one i lost! thank you!

March 16, 2011 at 6:02 pm

OK I finally found the sustutite to pumkin cake for this ThanksGiving day, this will be the new dessert in my family, no more cake only roll.

May 18, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I love making pumpkin rolls and I have one step that is even simplier and no towel to wash. Instead on laying the baked roll onto a tea towel, I lay it on a piece of wax paper that I have generously sprinkled with powdered sugar. Then I roll that up and let it cool. My sister and I both do it this way and love not having that towel to wash. It works like a charm!

Cindy in Tennessee

November 14, 2011 at 4:33 am

I have made quite a few of these pumpkin rolls this year! What really works better than just letting it cool off on a rack is putting it straight into the refrigerator as soon as I roll it up in the towel. It keeps the cake super moist and I have never had the cake crack or split! Just wanted to share what works for me!

November 14, 2011 at 4:51 am

Hi Katie,
    Thanks for your great tip! I bet that saves a lot of time. My friends and I are going to make a bunch more this week…we'll give it a try. Have a great night!

November 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm

YEA DEWD THIS IS GOOOD

March 5, 2012 at 1:17 am

This is really great. This is positively a good post and was worth my time looking at it. Thanks for sharing this interesting post..keep posting.

Kathy Fisher
    November 23, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Does it matter if you roll from the short side or from
    lengthwise ?

November 25, 2013 at 6:16 am

Kathy,
      Yes, it does matter. Start with the short side. Good luck! Hope you love it!