Buttery Blonde Banana Bread

Buttery Blonde Banana Bread

This recipe is  To. Die. For. I got it from the super great food blog,  My Kitchen Cafe. Melanie has got a TREMENDOUS amount of fabulous food represented there. I had 6 bananas going brown on my counter, so I thought I would give her recipe a try. It’s different from other banana bread recipes I have loved in the past. It’s made with butter and tastes a lot like pound cake. Seriously…..pound cake. It was great the first day, and super fabulous the second day. Try it! You won’t be sorry. (Unless you are counting calories, and then I’m afraid you may be sorry indeed.) I doubled the recipe, and it made 3 regular sized loaves.

Buttery Blonde Banana Bread

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

Note: I generally double the recipe, and it ends up making three large loaves, my pans are 9 1/2 x 5 1/2. If I make a single recipe then I use one large pan and two small pans that are 4 1/2 x 3 1/2.

Ingredients

1/2 C butter, softened
1 1/2 C sugar
2 eggs well beaten
1 C mashed bananas (about 3 ripe bananas)
4 T buttermilk
1 3/4 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 t vanilla
dash baking soda

Instructions

1. Cream butter and sugar together.
2. Add the eggs, bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture.
5. Mix until just combined....don't over mix.
6. Grease loaf pans generously. (I had a bit of trouble getting mine out.) Pour the batter into the pans.
7. Bake for 55 minutes at 350.
8. Cool on a wire rack.

December 3, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I'm trying this tonight….I have so many brown bananas…it is not even funny! Apparently, I went banana crazy.

Sidenote: if you don't have buttermilk you can make this sub.

For 1 cup of buttermilk do this…
    In a 1 cup measuring cup, add 1 TBSP of vinegar or lemon juice and the rest regular milk. This will make the buttermilk.

Lana @ ilovemy5kids

December 6, 2009 at 1:41 am

I made this and my hubs said it was the best he has ever tasted! I think you have a winner!!!

Blessings to you,
    lana @ ilovemy5kids

December 6, 2009 at 2:14 am

Ohhhh! Yum! I have never made banana bread with a touch of buttermilk- I will have to incorporate that into my recipe- or give Melanie's recipe a try- you are right she has great recipes and a dynamite blog. I like your bio- you are funny!

March 23, 2010 at 4:32 pm

So which recipe did you like better, this one, or the one you called “best banana bread”?

🙂
    ButterYum

PS – I loved the line about counting calories 🙂

March 24, 2010 at 12:19 am

ButterYum, (how could I not adore that name!)
    It does lead to a bit of confusion, these banana bread names I have chosen.
    I would have to say that the “Best Banana Bread” recipe is MyHandsomeHusbands very favorite. It has this fabulous crusty exterior and yummy banana taste.
    The “Buttery Blonde” tastes a lot like pound cake with not so much of a banana flavor. It is indeed my favorite, and by the sound of your blog name….it might just be your favorite as well. It has a lot of butter.
    Have a great night!
    Your site is beautiful, by the way. I am following you now.

Julie Thomson
    May 18, 2010 at 1:42 am

I tried this and we had it with dinner. It turned out so deliciously! Thanks.

May 23, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Mmm… these were tasty. I used the batter to make them as muffins and as waffles. They were really, really awesome as waffles. Let them cool on a plate for 2 minutes or so and the outside gets all crispy and yummy.

Melisa
    January 6, 2013 at 2:24 pm

A trick to getting loaves out easy, along with oiling, put some foil on the bottom of the pan and breads and cakes come out so much easier..

Stephanie
    June 12, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Have you added an easy print recipe button? I don’t see one. I’m going to try this tonight looks gooooood……
    Thanks for sharing Jamie

Lynette
    November 11, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I have been wanting to try this for some time, so today was the big day! So sad 🙁 I did it in one loaf pan- because it didn’t say otherwise and I bet you can guess what happened…… Yep- Overflow. So how many loaf pans should I have done?

Thanks

November 12, 2013 at 6:55 am

Hi Lynette,
      I generally double the recipe, and it ends up making three large loaves, my pans are 9 1/2 x 5 1/2. If I make a single recipe then I use one large pan and two small pans that are 4 1/2 x 3 1/2. So sorry you had trouble! Better luck next time. 🙂

Dawn
    March 19, 2014 at 6:32 am

Wow,this is the best banana bread I have ever made!

Thanks for sharing this great recipe,its a keeper.

Lisa
    June 3, 2014 at 11:40 am

If I make it the night before, it will still be yummy the next day to give away??? Looks so good!

June 3, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Lisa,
      This bread is even better the next day! Best of luck to you!

Lisa Clubb
    July 26, 2014 at 9:04 am

I have made this bread about 6 times and I am NEVER disappointed. Love giving these loafs away as a thank you -because they are so yummuy! Thank you for sharing with us.