Well guys and gals….this is my best newly tried pie recipe. I got it from a Taste of Home cookbook. LOVE Taste of Home. They have some seriously great stuff. I wanted to try it and get it posted before Thanksgiving….you know every one is just the slightest bit interested in pie recipes the week before Thanksgiving, however things have been crazy around here lately and I only had enough time to make it once for the big day. I am happy to report it was fabulous, and I will definitely make it again. Just looking at the picture makes me want to make it sooner than later….it had a great fresh lemony zip to it with a cool layer of cream cheese filling on the bottom. It was the first pie gone at our dinner. Everyone really seemed to enjoy it. Keep it in mind the next time you have to take a dessert some where!
12 oz cream cheese, softened (that's code for 1 whole package, and half of another package!)
1 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 C cool whip
1 T fresh lemon juice
1. In a sauce pan combine 3/4 C sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce heat and add remaining sugar.
3. Cook and stir until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Mine got bubbly pretty quickly. Next time I will let it cook for maybe 30 seconds after it starts to bubble. It ended up being just a slight bit too thin in the end.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, grated lemon peel, and food coloring. Once these are combined gently add the lemon juice. Don't over mix.
5. Cool to room temperature.
6. In a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in the cool whip and lemon juice. Keep about 1/2 C in a separate container for the pretty garnish.
7. Spread the remaining cream cheese filling over the bottom of the pastry shell. Be sure the shell is cool and not just out of the oven.
8. Top the pie off with the lemon filling. Chill overnight.
9. Pipe the remaining cream cheese filling onto the top of the pie. If you are feeling less fancy, you could just spread it all over the top...it would still taste great!
As a side note…..I had a bit of the lemon filling left over. I kept it in the fridge and my kids and I had many lovely bites of it on Thanksgiving morning for breakfast. Hey…the diet is not a priority on Turkey and Pie day. It was delicious!