Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have to apologize to all you fabulous dieters out there. I have to admit….I shouldn’t have made these beauties this week. But, I just couldn’t help myself. They were calling to me. This past Sunday afternoon MyHandsomeHusband asked “What should we make for dinner?”  I answered with “Chocolate Chip Cookies….what else?!” I have this theory that if you eat cookies on Sundays, they don’t have any calories. (Or if you eat them on your Birthday, or on your friends Birthday, or during the whole month of December). I know it couldn’t possibly be true…but in my mind, I justify it by dieting hard the rest of the week. And yes, they made a lovely Sunday Dinner. My kids were thrilled.
I have had many people tell me recently that they struggle with cookie making. So, I thought I would take a lot of pictures a long the way, and give you some tips that have helped me make cookies a divine delight. There is really nothing quite like a hot cookie right out of the oven. Pure heaven.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Time: 1 1/2 hours
Yield: 60 cookies
Recipe from a former neighboor Krista Robinson
1 C butter softened
1 C peanut butter (I use chunky)
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1  12 oz bag semi sweet chocolate chips
1  12 oz bag milk chocolate chips

1. Be sure that your butter is soft. I usually let mine sit out on the counter for about 2 hours before I start. Beat the butter and peanut butter in your stand mixer (or with hand held beaters) for about 3 minutes. You want it to be VERY well combined.
2. Add the sugar and eggs and beat for another 2 minutes, or until the mixture is a bit frothy.
3. While you let the mixer do it’s work combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and mix for about 1 minute.
5. Add the chocolate chips and mix just until combined. Aren’t these two colors of chocolate beautiful? You can see now why I wanted to eat them for Sunday Dinner. You want to eat them too…don’t deny it. Your secret is safe with me.
6. I place them on a large cookie sheet 3 wide and 5 long. I round them into balls that are about 1 1/2 inches. When I put them on the sheet I smash them down just a bit.
7. One of the most important tricks to  great cookie baking is the length and the temperature they are cooked. I have a convection oven which I truly adore. I baked these puppies  for 6 1/2 minutes at 330 degrees. If I were using a regular oven I would bake them for 8 minutes at 350. The trick is……..DO NOT OVERBAKE THEM. I take them out of the oven just after they start to crack, and then let them finish cooking on the sheet as it cools down. The convection oven makes them ever so slightly crispy on the outside, and fabulously chewy on the inside. Again….you see the reason I made them for Sunday Dinner.
Happy Baking! I hope these tips were helpful. Have a great day!

January 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Ugh…you should apologize to us dieters..haha I totally binged on peanutbutter cookies last night. Now this makes me want to make a new batch and do it all over again

January 27, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Thanks for visiting my site… but now that I have visited yours I have a craving for PB chocolate chip cookies! They look SO good! And your pictures are awesome :)

January 27, 2010 at 6:32 pm

These look fabulous!!! I love the bow as and added touch :)

Congrats of the featured blogger for Newman's!

January 27, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Oooh those look yummy! I'm going to have to make those one day this week.

January 27, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I'm going to make these right now! My kids will be so thrilled when they come home from school in an hour and smell these babies. (Well except for one son who doesn't like peanut butter, but tough luck for him.)

January 28, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I just scrolled down and saw the Peanut Butter Choc. Chip cookies – I'm going with the theory they don't have any calories on Sunday – or any other special day! These look too good not to try!

January 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I can't stop drooling. They look so incredibly yummy.

Visiting via S.I.T.S

January 28, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I ALWAYS need cookies:) These look great!

January 28, 2010 at 11:43 pm

do you think i could reduce the amount of sugar in this recepie just 1/2 of caster and 1/2 of brown?thanks for the answer

January 29, 2010 at 12:37 am

Thanks for your question….
    I have tried using less sugar in baked goods, but it seems the consistency gets a little bit off. I end up having to add more flour to make up for the lack of substance, and then they turn out pretty dry.
    I have noticed a site that might have a healthier option for you.
    The site is http://www.hungry-girl.com.
    They take a lot of questions and seem to answer pretty quickly.
    Good Luck! I'd love to know what they have to say!
    Have a great day!

February 7, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Hi ladies! I’m Rebecca from Thousand Oaks, CA. I’m a meohtr, wife, teacher, crafter, and blogger! Your blog has provided so many inspirations for my home and my classroom. Congrats on 10,000!!

January 29, 2010 at 9:45 am

Thanks for the answer and the link,i think i will try to make one batch of cookies using less sugar and one with the amount thats in your recepie!i will let u know how it came out!
    Have a nice day, Kathy

January 30, 2010 at 5:53 am

I TOTALLY want some. Looks like you packaged a few up beautifully. :-) I agree that eating on Sundays are free calories. I'll have to try this recipe sometime.

January 30, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I love a good cookie and tips that go with it! I'm glad that you love your convection oven…I do, too! Here's a tip for those who are lucky enough to have a convection oven: Bake your cookies on a baking sheet with no sides…or…turn your baking sheet over and put the cookie dough on the bottom. Then you will have perfectly, evenly browned cookies all around!

March 12, 2010 at 1:49 am

Hi Jamie,

I know you're always looking for ways to make a recipe healthier. My mom taught me this trick that works with almost any cookie (do not try with sugar cookies, however!):
    Cut the fat in half, and add an extra egg. If you're doubling the recipe, figure the regular measurements first, then cut the fat in half and add the egg (so you don't get too many eggs). I always do this with chocolate chip cookie recipes, and they taste just as delicious!
    -Sarah Wrigley

June 21, 2010 at 5:11 am

Just made these absolutely perfectly delicious cookies, that turn out so wonderfully, today – for Father's Day and boy oh boy were they a HUGE hit for dessert at my parents with all the family celebrating Dad on his day!
    Thank you for such a beautiful website…you are truly an inspiration to all who visit here! I post about you on my facebook and shared today's cookies and dropped your name again too :) I have a blog…but not near as nice as still learning :) Thanks Jaime. ~Darcy :)

June 21, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Darcy,
    I'm so glad you all loved these cookies. They are one of my favorites as well. Thanks for your links back.
    Have a great day!

Sarah Wrigley
    June 30, 2010 at 12:01 am

I made these cookies last week with my “half the fat and add an egg” trick. They were divine! Thank you for this recipe. I shared them with others and were told they were “dangerous” since they tempt one to eat the whole pan. I about did that myself!

July 28, 2010 at 5:35 am

These were absolutely delicious, my husband actually called them evil becaues they were so good and you can not stop yourself from eating them. I had been looking for a recipe similar to this and now we are happy.

October 9, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Making these delicious babies again today for the little league team (my turn for snacks) I made a couple of adjustments this time and added 2 ripe bananas and 1/2 c. oatmeal – we will see how these taste :) Let's see how many moms ask for the recipe too :) Happy Day to YOU! Again posting on Facebook too! Love ya gal!

October 9, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Chef Mama Mimi is Darcy btw :)

October 16, 2011 at 3:17 am

Jamie, you just have too many good recipes. I was in the mood to make something for my husband and I decided on these. He loves them, and I had to have one to see what they taste like. They were really good but boy that is a lot of chocolate chips. My cookies almost didn't stick together there were so many chips. I think next time I will have the chips and then I bet it will stay together better. Thank you for all your great recipes.

October 16, 2011 at 3:19 am

I meant half the amount of chocolate chips not have them:)

January 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Do you think this will work as a bar cookie? I am feeding the missionaries this weekend and would like to do a bowl of yummy soup in the bread bowls and then have these cookies in bar form with a scoop of ice cream on top. Just wondering if you have ever made them that way, and if so, would they fit in a rimmed cookie sheet? And what temp and for how long should they be cooked. Thanks!

January 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Hey Geri,
    Wow, it sounds like the missionaries will be well fed at your house!
    This cookie recipe doesn't work well in a bar form. By the time the center is cooked the edges are burned. However I do have a Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar recipe that would work really well as the base of your ice cream dessert. Here is a link.

Good luck!

Jamie Roberts
    February 5, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Hi Jamie!
    Made these cookies yesterday just for the fun of it and substituted crushed up Butterfingers for the choc chips and WOW amazing!! Best peanut butter cookie recipe I've ever had! Love your blog and your whitty humor :)

Thanks