I have tried many many white bread recipes over the years. This is the one I have deemed the best. I got it from a neighbor about 10 years ago, and have been making it ever since. In truth, I took a little break from baking a few years back when I had twins. We ate a lot of Costco frozen food for about a year while I spent time on bed rest, and then caring for premature twins….can I just say, I’m glad we made it through! Anyhow when I was finally able to get back to baking I couldn’t find this treasure of a recipe anywhere! I had to look up the neighbor who had passed it along, though I haven’t live by her for quite some time. It is that wonderful of a recipe. It comes together very quickly, as it does not need to rise in the bowl, only in the pans. Putting the pans in a warm oven also lets them rise more quickly than on the counter. If you are using a BOSCH or KITCHEN AID mixer this bread can be ready to eat in just over an hour. It’s the truth. Enjoy! This bread goes fabulously with any kind of soup, but we make is especially good with these two. CHICKEN SOUP and CREAMY CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SOUP.
Yield: 5 loaves
4 C hot water
1/2 C sugar
2/3 C oil
2 T salt
3 T yeast
10-12 C white flour
1. In a Bosch or Kitchen Aid mixer place the hot water, sugar, oil, salt, and 4 C of the flour. Mix for 1 minute.
2. Add the yeast, and the rest of the flour 1 C at a time while mixing. You will know you have enough flour when the sides of your mixer get scraped clean.
3. Once you have enough flour mix for 8 minutes on high.
4. Let the dough rest in the bowl for 5 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 5 pieces and place in sprayed bread pans.
6. Take each piece and “spank” it to get any bubbles out.
7. Round the dough into a ball and place back in the pans.
8. Place the pans in your oven at 170 degrees, and let rise for 25 minutes, or until the bread has risen about 1 inch above the edge of the pan.
9. Turn the oven up to 350 and bake for 25 minutes. Don’t take the pans out while the oven heats up.Just let the bread keep rising while it heats. Enjoy!