Glazed Carrots with Rosemary

Glazed Carrots with Rosemary

Don’t those beauties just look plain old cheerful! You may not be a lover of carrots. You might remember being forced to eat them when you were young while being told “those are going to make your eyes shine so pretty!” Well I’m here to tell you these are going to make your eyes shine pretty and your mouth turn up into a great big grin. I could eat these with almost every meal. (Ok…to be truthful, they might be a little weird with pancakes.)
 The ingredients include fresh orange juice, butter, brown sugar and my best girl, rosemary. That is a line up worthy of a grin!
Glazed Carrots with Rosemary
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
10 long carrots (not the babies, the big daddies)
2 T salted butter, melted (don’t even entertain the idea of margarine…)
4 T brown sugar
1 sprig fresh rosemary chopped
4 T fresh orange juice
1/8 t cracked pepper
1/4 t cracked sea salt
1. Peel the carrots and chop off the tops and the very tips. Cut each carrot into sticks.
2. Combine the butter, brown sugar, rosemary and orange juice together in a small bowl.
3. Place the carrots in a 9×13 baking dish. Pour the butter mixture over the top.
4. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Check them after about 20 minutes and give them a little stir.
5. After taking them out of the oven crack the pepper and salt over the top. Stir to incorporate, cover and let sit for a few minutes before serving.

February 25, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Jamie, YUM! This looks great! I LOVE rosemary as well. I am wondering if you could use dried rosemary instead; or if the fresh is a must for this dish? Thanks!

February 26, 2010 at 3:19 am

Carrie,
    You could indeed use dried in this recipe. Fresh is quite a lot better, but I have used dried many times. You will need to use a bit less of the dried however, it's more potent than the fresh.

February 26, 2010 at 3:27 pm

February 8, 2014 at 4:56 am

That looks so flavorful! Even tohguh it’s cold and blustery out and all I want to do is wrap myself up and sip on hot soup, there are many times where a bright and vibrant salad like this is just what I need to perk me up on those dark days. Lovely!

March 1, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Just tried the carrots with your pan fried chicken and country gravy last night for our Sunday dinner. Adam's parents joined us and it was a success. All my kids ate the carrots and some wanted multiple helpings. Thank you so much for doing this blog and sharing your expertise. My sister-in-law and I keep trying out recipes from your blog and so far haven't found any that we won't make again!

March 1, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Amy,
    Thanks so much for your kind comment. I am always thrilled to hear about these recipes being used….and loved! I'm glad your dishes were sucessful.

February 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I miss munching some crunchy carrots. Thanks for this nice reminder and the recipe really looks so delicious.

May 27, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I LOVE this recipe! I can't get enough!

christina
    November 28, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I made the carrots for Thanksgiving. They were a hit. Taste great, will make again.

lizjeep
    December 30, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Could you roast these? I’d love to see some carmelizing on these…

December 31, 2013 at 8:16 am

Lizjeep,
      Wow, that sounds heavenly. My only concern is that the sugar might burn. Let me know if you try it and how it works out for you.
      Good luck!