SocialBoost 728×90 ATF

Soft Jumbo Pretzels

Soft Jumbo Pretzels

Oh do I have a FABULOUS recipe for you today, folks. I have always wanted to try making homemade pretzels. I just didn’t ever get around to it. Last week I got around to it 3 different times. I just couldn’t help myself! My girls are on a 3 week break from school…..and what can I say. We need a project. We need many projects…..we need sunshine and outdoor weather! However, here we are inside watching Star Wars for the 7 millionth time. The twin 3 year olds living here tend to get their way more than they should!
We are in love with these pretzels. We even made them with a little play group class of 3 year old boys. They loved it! You will love them as well. They would be fantastic for any super bowl party!
Have a great day, everyone!
Note: I highly recommend using a stand mixer such as a Kitchen Aid or Bosch. This dough is very stiff to begin with and you need the strength of a mixer to knead it well.
Soft Jumbo Pretzels
Yield: 12 jumbo pretzels
Time: 3 hours
4 t yeast
1 t sugar
1 1/4 C warm water
5 C flour
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1 T canola oil
10 C hot boiling water
3/4 C baking soda
Pretzel salt to taste
1 egg, whipped until frothy
1. In the bottom of your Kitchen Aid or Bosch Mixer dissolve 1 t sugar and the yeast in the warm water. I just stir it around a bit with a spoon. Let it sit for 5 minutes, or until the mixture begins to bubble and rise.
2. Add salt, 1/2 C sugar, oil, and 1 C of the flour. Mix for about 30 seconds.
3. Add the rest of the flour 1 C at a time. This recipe needs ALL 5 CUPS of the flour. It will seem a bit stiff at first, but the pretzels still turn out very soft with all 5 cups. You need this much flour, or your finished product will be more roll like than pretzel like.
4. Once all the flour is added mix on high for about 8 minutes.
5. Let the dough rest and rise for 1 1/2-2 hours. The dough needs to rise until at least doubled in size. This recipe takes a while to rise, but don’t cheat this step. The pretzels will be much more difficult to roll out if the dough hasn’t risen enough.
6. Heat your oven to 450 degrees.
7. Punch the dough down and divide it into 12 equal portions. I used a sharp knife sprayed with cooking spray and a cutting board for this step.
8. Place each piece on a sprayed cookie sheet and let them rest for 10 minutes. Don’t skip this step….unless you enjoy letting the dough rule over you while you shape it. Give it a rest an you will be In-Charge-Marge. Otherwise, the dough is very hard to manipulate.
9. Combine the 10 C water and baking soda in a large pot. Bring it to a boil.
10. While the water heats, roll each dough piece into a long thin rope. Twist it into a pretzel shape.
11. Put each piece (one at a time) into the boiling water for 30 seconds.
12. Place on a sprayed cookie sheet and brush the beaten egg over the top. Sprinkle with pretzel salt.
13. Bake for 8 minutes. Enjoy!
We opted to leave the pretzel salt off on occasion. When they came out of the oven we brushed butter on the top and sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar…..delicious!

February 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm

They look awesome! I like to cook for playgroup too. Stopping from SITS!

February 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm

You hit my bread-dough heart…now I'm in the mood to make pretzels!

February 5, 2010 at 2:00 am

There are so many beautiful-looking pretzels popping up on the food blogosphere!! Your pretzels are definitely no exception. Bookmarking this recipe!

February 5, 2010 at 2:05 am

I can't wait to try this recipe Jame!!! I LOVE pretzels!!!
    P.S. It's Val, not Mark!

February 5, 2010 at 2:18 am

Can you make these pretzels with wheat flour? They look super duper delish and I love to buy the pretzels at the movies or at the mall.

February 5, 2010 at 5:15 am

MochaTrina,
    I think you could indeed use wheat flour. However, my experience has been that with whole wheat you often times end up with a super heavy finished product. I would maybe try 1/2 white flour and 1/2 wheat. Let me know if you try it, and if it works out!

February 5, 2010 at 5:24 am

OoooOh! sounds so yummy- I'm going to make these!

February 5, 2010 at 5:30 am

OOOH, great looking pretzels. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Can't wait to give these a try.

April 11, 2010 at 7:37 pm

P.S. Jamie, I never could find pretzel salt, but I did have some Kosher salt lying around and it worked just fine. 🙂

May 13, 2010 at 1:45 am

Those were absolutely fabulous, especially hot out of the oven. I thought we'd like the cinnamon better, but the salt ones were our favorite. I used Kosher salt.

May 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Jamie, these look so delicious! I posted a link on my blog: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/05/jumbo-soft-pretzels.html

Thanks for another wonderful recipe! I'm really loving your blog!!
    Missy

August 27, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Awesome recipe! Thanks a lot for sharing this with us. I will definitely give this recipe a try in my upcoming get together party that I am hosting. It looks like it would go well with a hot cup of coffee made from my mypressi twist at home. Kudos!

September 13, 2010 at 4:26 am

I did this recipe yesterday and it came out great. Just like the picture but I thought the pretzels were just a skoosh too dense so I made them again today the exact same way except I only used 4.75 cups of flour and the pretzels came out blissfully perfect. Try it out.

October 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm

They looks awesome! Kids would really love it! Great food. We own a Wall Mirrors ecommerce site and are always looking for great content to share and help inspire. Thanks.

January 3, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Dan, I made them too and LOVED the flavor but they were WAY too dense. I was worried to cut back the flour but the 4.75 is PERFECT! Thanks for the tip!

January 4, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Kira and Dan,
    Super glad you found them to be fabulous. When I have made them with less flour than 5 cups they seem to turn into a roll consistency. Maybe we are at different altitudes or something. What ever the reason….so glad you liked your finished product!

January 6, 2011 at 5:44 am

My husband tried them when he got home and he did say they were softer…not quite what he was expecting. We are in WA though so it could be altitude. Maybe I will try 4 and 7/8 next time 🙂 Thanks Jamie, you ROCK!

March 29, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I am one of the dumber broads reading your blog and I serioulsy love it. I have tried so many of your amazing recipes and loved them. But…now here is my dumb question????? How do you put the pretzels in the boiling water? I can see that causing all kind lf crazy especially with an audience.
    Thanks for your patience and diligence in teaching us how to bake/cook/eat.

Ter Bear

March 31, 2011 at 3:34 am

Ter Bear,
    I'm sure you are no dumb broad! Your question is legitimate, indeed. The pretzels should retain their shape if you pick them up carefully between two fingers and then gently drop them in the water. Just be carefull you don't let your fingers touch the water. That would be unpleasant, woudn't it! Good luck! Hope they turn out well for you!
    Have a good one,

April 17, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Those were amazing! It a great dough. Love it!

May 3, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I mixed it as instructed, I even threw out my first batch cause I was worried that I had added one cup too many. My dough isn't doing much rising and it's been 1 1/2 hours and the dough is in pellets… I don't know if it's supposed to look like that. I guess I'll see how they turn out!

May 3, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Mine turned out terrible. Not sure what I did wrong. 🙁

May 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Melissa,
    Terrible? Oh dear. This is a recipe that people either love and they turn out great…or they have a lot of trouble with the dough rising fulling leaving the pretzels dense. Sometimes depeding on the altitude, the climate, where you live (obviously) makes a difference in how much flour you need. You may need less. Also if you place the your bowl in a warm spot in your kitchen that helps the dough to rise quicker. So sorry they didn't turn out. Nothing more frustrating! Wasted time and ingredients makes for a bummer deal. Good luck. Hope these tips help!

June 19, 2011 at 7:33 am

I'm proud to say that i did make this recipe last saturday and the kids really love it. Yeah I can do it!

July 16, 2011 at 11:23 pm

In your recipe it says to add more yeast when you are adding the salt, sugar, flour, and oil – was this a typo?
    If not, then how much yeast do you add? Thanks!

December 27, 2011 at 9:43 pm

If not, then how much yeast do you add? Thanks!

***this was my same question…

December 28, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Annonymous,
    Sorry for the mistake! Yes, you only add the yeast to the warm water in the beginning. It doesn't need to be added a second time. Sorry for the confusion. Good luck!

March 1, 2012 at 12:18 am

YUMMMMMM! Made them today – and will be making them again SOON! Sooooo good!

Donna
    October 16, 2012 at 2:42 pm

After bookmarking this page a long time ago, I finally got around to making these today. They turned out perfectly. It took the full 2 hours from the dough to rise, and even then in not sure it doubled exactly. They really were delicious though, even my husband liked them and he hates pretzels!

zombiesammich
    July 28, 2014 at 2:13 pm

moar pictures!!! what tool to you use to place the pretzels into and scoop them out of the water+baking soda? All the tools I use make a huge mess (baking soda splotches everywhere)

thanks!

July 30, 2014 at 8:05 am

Zombiesammich,
      I generally use a large slotted spoon. It does leave things a little bit messy. 🙂 I think that is just the nature of the project. Best of luck to you!