Asian Lettuce Wraps

Well guys and gals, we have MyHandsomeHusband to thank for this fine recipe. It is fabulous! I had him write it down several months ago when he was making it. Then just a week or so ago I gave it a whirl. It came together quite quickly, and all of my children like it. That is a win, win I say.  We serve it with hot rice on the side. I just happened to have green leafy lettuce on hand, so that is what I used. We have found however, that Romaine Hearts work out the best with this recipe. They seem to naturally have a cupping shape, and hold the insides in just right. This recipe includes 3 ingredients you may not keep on hand, unless you do a bit of oriental type cooking. They are sesame oil, hoisin sauce, and oyster sauce. All of these can be found in a regular grocery store in the oriental foods section. All three keep for a long time (the sauces are to be kept in the fridge). They are definitely worth purchasing.
 On to the recipe!
2 T soy sauce
1/4 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 t rice wine vinegar
1 t sesame oil
pinch red pepper flakes
1. Cut up your chicken breasts into small pieces (I use a sharp pair of kitchen scissors) and cook in a hot skillet with about 1 T olive oil. Add a bit of salt and pepper into the pan as well. Cook until the chicken pieces are a nice golden color.
2. While your chicken is cooking, chop up all your veggies so they are about the same size.
3. When the chicken is done remove it from the pan and place it on a plate. Add another T of olive oil to the pan and throw in your veggies. Cook for about 15 minutes on medium high heat, or until the veggies are crisp tender. You don’t want to over cook them.
4. Add all of the sauce ingredients into a small bowl and whisk it together until smooth. Have a little taste….it’s super good!
5. Add the chicken, sauce, and almonds into the skillet with the veggies. Stir everything around until it becomes incorporated. Cook it until everything is heated through. Just 2-3 minutes should be plenty.
6. Serve inside a nice lettuce leaf, with rice on the side. It looks as pretty as a picture, doesn’t it? Tastes pretty darn good too.

March 3, 2010 at 2:24 pm

oooh! I've been waiting for this one!! Yummy!

March 3, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Besides sounding delicious, this looks beautiful with all those colors!

March 5, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Well, Jamie, as you know I have been waiting for this one as well! :) I have the sesame oil, but not the other two (unusual-ish) ingredients yet. I just say that b/c sesame oil is VERY flavorful and adds much to oriental type cooking. I love it. You for sure are the food expert, but just wanted to pass that along to anyone who may read this. ;) Thanks to you and husband for this recipe, will be trying soon!

p.s. had the glazed carrots last night. Yum! kinda like candy as far as veggies go! loved 'em!

kelly lim
    June 18, 2010 at 6:57 am

thinking about wraps…when i was younger mum used to cook the filling consist of yam bean, carrots and dried cuttlefish strips. cooked the the same way with those mixture of sauce…
    i cook mine with shredded chicken and some shrimps, at times…simple cooking!
    BTW, i m a Malaysian chinese.
    Love ur blog, Jamie…

July 7, 2010 at 3:26 am

One of my personal favorites of your recipes. When I discovered this a few weeks ago, I wanted to make it every night. I had to hold back. Thanks again for sharing.

February 28, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Lettuce wraps are really nice and pretty. I have always loved making it and also it is something so healthy.

January 13, 2012 at 7:21 am

Is there a print button for this one? Please? Thanks so much.

January 16, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for your request. I have added the print button for you. :)

February 8, 2014 at 12:30 am

When you think about it, that’s got to be the right answre.

Georgiegirl
    February 17, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I made these last week for my family and the first thing my husband said after his first bite was, “these are a keeper!”. So yummy and easy. I did not have hoisin sauce on hand so I doubled the oyster sauce(the spicy kind). DEEE-LISH! Tell your husband to keep up the good work! Thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes.

August 16, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this site. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s hard to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and appearance. I must say you’ve done a superb job with this. Additionally, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Internet explorer. Outstanding Blog!

Debbie Tomlinson
    January 9, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Do you have the calorie/carbs for your dish?

Emma
    July 23, 2014 at 7:51 pm

We made this tonight! Delicious! I didn’t have any celery, and I forgot the red pepper flakes, but it was still fabulous. Thanks!