Raspberry Honey Butter

Raspberry Honey Butter

This wonderful Raspberry Honey Butter is a twist on a Lion House Classic. Those of you who have read this blog for a while now know that I worked at the good old Lion House for many years while I was going to college.  I learned a lot about food preparation, hosting large events, and how to gain a bunch of weight in a quick hurry.
Can’t say I’m really grateful for the weight gain part.
 I wish I could say that I learned how to cook all of the wonderful food they serve there. The sad truth is, when I married MyHandsomeHusband the only thing I knew how to cook was…
are you ready?
it’s going to surprise you!
Lion House……. Taffy.
Yep. That’s it. And let me tell you, taffy for dinner can get really old, really fast.
I’m happy to say that I have learned a lot since then.
My list of recipe has increased immensely!
I’m letting you all in on this little secret of mine for a reason. I’m hoping that some of you who are just learning to cook will be encouraged!  Everyone can learn to be a good cook. It just takes a little time to practice, some great recipes and a bit of instruction. It is my pleasure to share all of these great recipes with you. I am thrilled when I receive comment about your cooking successes, and feel grateful for the chance to share with you the things I have learned about cooking. The other day my Mom made this comment.
“I think your food blog is making your life happier.”
I think she’s right!

Cracked Feather Wheat Rolls and Holiday Crescent Rolls are the rolls that I like to serve with Raspberry Honey Butter. They are both delicious and put a smile on many a face. Both rolls are great served with a tray of fresh deli meats and cheeses as well.
Raspberry Honey Butter
Yield: 1 Cup
Time: 10 minutes + at least 3 hours to chill
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1/2 C butter, softened
1 C honey
1 egg yolk
1/4 t vanilla
1/2 C frozen raspberries
dash salt
 It is EXTREAMLY IMPORTANT that you start with soft butter. If you don’t you are going to be dealing with little clumps of butter, never to be evenly incorporated with the honey… as long as they both shall live.
1. In a small mixing bowl (or in your stand mixer, with the paddle attachment) beat the butter for 1 minute.
2. Pour the honey into the butter just a bit at a time, while the mixer is going.
3. Add the egg yolk, vanilla and dash of salt and beat for 1 minute.
4. Add the frozen raspberries and beat until the butter is a nice pink color.
5. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Overnight is even better!

March 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Is it safe to eat the raw egg like that? Can you leave the yolk out and have it still be o.k.?

Thank you!

March 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Tori,
    I have always made it like this and never had a problem.
    You could try it without the egg yolk, however the egg yolk acts as a binding for the other ingredients. Your finished product would turn out runny, but it would still taste good.
    Good luck! Let me know if you try it without the egg yolk.

March 23, 2010 at 10:56 pm

You must do a post on how to make that taffy, I always tried as a child to make it and it never worked out right. So do a picture by picture post of that one :)

March 23, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Jessica,
    I am planning to post it in the future. It's really fun to do with kids. I'll take some photos. (Hopefully my camera won't get too sticky!)
    Thanks!

March 25, 2010 at 12:46 am

O.k. I tried it without the yolk on only half the recipe. It was good. We didn't wait the three hours for it to set up, but it was still yummy. We had it on toast and my kids ate it up. For me it was a bit sweet so I might cut back on the honey a bit. I think if I wanted a more solid butter I would add the egg yolk, but it was fine without it.

March 26, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I love raspberries and this looks perfect for rolls or bagels.

February 11, 2014 at 9:54 am

Thank you for your sharing, this Pineapple Cookies is my Love! I was shnceiag this recipe quite some times…..happy happy!Qi Qi,…. thank you for you kindness to recomment this recipe for me!!!

March 27, 2010 at 12:55 am

Yummo – I love honey butter, and I love strawberry butter, so I KNOW I'm going to love your Raspberry Honey Butter!!

Thanks for sharing!!

ButterYum

December 18, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I have a quick, probably stupid question for you, but if you were to make this as a neighbor gift how long would you tell them it is good for? Thanks.

December 20, 2010 at 4:53 am

Kim,
    I would imagine it would stay good for up to a week in the fridge. It also freezes well, and would keep there for up to a month. Good luck!