SocialBoost 728×90 ATF

Teriyaki Chicken

Teriyaki Chicken

Hello to all of you Easter loving, spring hopping, candy stashing readers. I hope the holiday weekend was all you hoped it would be. My family and I spent a very muddy and snowy weekend at Bear Lake. We had one egg hunt indoors, and one in the snow and mud! Who forgot to tell the weather man that it’s
supposed to be spring now?
I think he lost the memo.
Last night my family drove home in a blizzard. Didn’t faze me a bit, until it was my responsibility to drive the last hour stretch.
(We had to pick up my husbands car on the way home….there was really no choice)
Let me just admit right now.
I am not Jamie DrivesItUp.
 I am known for canceling activities on impulse if the snow gets too deep and I have to venture out into it.
Call me wimpy, call me nuts, call me just plain lame.
There’s something about 5 children packed into a mini van slip slidin’ all over the road that leaves me just a shake away from panic attack.
I am happy to report we are home safe and sound.
(……50 more gray hairs and 10 more dark circles under my eyes later…..)
I do have a fine recipe for you today.
It doesn’t even involve Easter candy or chocolate! We all need a little candy break now and then don’t we. I learned to make this dish when I was first married, from my Mother-in law. I have tweaked it a bit adding some ginger, rice vinegar and sesame oil. It comes together very quickly and is wonderful over white rice or with Ham Fried Rice. I am planning to post the Ham Fried Rice tomorrow. See you then!
This is Jamie Doesn’tLikeToDriveItUp….ten four good buddy, over and out….
Teriyaki Chicken
Yield: 5-6 servings
Time: 40 minutes, give or take a bit.
5 chicken breasts cut into 2 inch pieces
2 C water
1/3 C soy sauce
1 1/2 t garlic powder
3/4 C brown sugar
1 1/2 t rice vinegar
1/2 t ginger
1 t sesame oil
1/4 C cold water + 4 T cornstarch
green onions (optional)
1. Place all ingredients but the 1/4 C water and cornstarch into a medium sized sauce pan.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside.
3. Take the chicken out of the liquid and set aside on a plate.
4. Mix the cold water and cornstarch in a small cup until smooth. Pour it into the sauce pan and stir to incorporate. Turn the heat up and bring to a boil. The sauce should thicken up nicely for you.
5. Remove from the heat and add the chicken back into the sauce. Serve over rice and enjoy! You can sprinkle with green onions as a pretty option.
*****NOTE: THIS RECIPE  MAKES A WONDERFUL THICK SAUCE THAT IS NOT PICTURED HERE WITH THE CHICKEN. IT’S FABULOUS POURED OVER RICE.**********

April 7, 2010 at 3:45 am

Looks delicious. Teriyaki chicken (different recipe) has been on my menu list of possible meals for a couple of weeks, but maybe I'll have to try this one instead.

We drove home in a blizzard last night as well. We were coming back from Moab (unexpectedly – because the wind blew away our tents and they are never to be resurrected) and got home at 2am. It was awful driving. I think I still have the steering wheel imprints in my hands!

April 9, 2010 at 1:31 am

I like the chicken dished on a Chinese plate. Pretty!

Jamie N
    April 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Jamie,
    I made this recipe along with the ham fried rice for dinner tonight after anticipating it all week! I must've made a mistake on the chicken though because it didn't taste like Teriyaki and it didn't look like yours. I followed your recipe to a tee but it came out really sweet and with tons of gooey sauce. As I was making it I kept thinking that surely I should be putting soy sauce in it. The finished product was very light in color, had the thick chunky appearance that something cooked in a crockpot does before making the juices into gravy, and as mentioned tasted sweet like a candy, not teriyaki. Any ideas what I did wrong or should do differently next time? I am totally bummed. The ham fried rice on the other hand was spectacular and I could've eaten the whole dish!

April 19, 2010 at 3:35 am

Jamie N~
    I am seriously over run with remorse. There is indeed a flaw in the recipe. You were correct. The ingredient I neglected to put in is soy sauce. I am so very sorry for your wasted time and ingredients! I know it can be so frustrating when a recipe doesn't turn out. Especially due to my typing error.
    This recipe does make a great thick sauce that we love to eat over the Ham Fried Rice, or over plain white or brown rice.
    Wish I could show up on your door step with a big fat cake or something!I really am super sorry about the mistake.
    Thanks so much for your comment, I have fixed the error.
    Hope you have a great week!

Jamie N
    April 19, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Jamie- it happens, we are all human afterall. No biggie. I will make it again! Thanks for your feedback. I LOVE your blog because it has real recipes a busy mom can make. Tonight I am making the beach street lemon chicken again (my fav!).

May 14, 2010 at 12:34 am

Oh, I'm so glad I came for a second look! I must have printed this off before you caught the soy sauce mistake. I was making it thinking that this was NOT good! I came down to see what you might have served it with to make it better and read about adding soy sauce. It was delicious! Thank you!!!

Jeanne
    January 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I made this last night. As with everything else I've tried from your blog, it was awesome!
    It was just so good and so easy to make.

Bonnie
    February 24, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Made this served over rice with a side of stir-fry veggies for the family and it was a homerun! I love your “blog of wonder” LOL Keep those great recipes coming!