Italian Tortellini Soup

Italian Tortellini Soup

Those of you who live in a warm and
 heavenly climate might be thinking
“Why in the world would this chic post a soup recipe in May?”
Well, because it has been raining here all week
and it is
cold, cold, cold.
 So there you have it.
A little soul warming soup from JamieCooksItUp.
Love this soup.
I really do.
It’s chuck full of veggies, flavorful, and my kids love it.
Anything that my kids love AND is healthy is a keeper!
It is wonderful served with my Macaroni Grill Bread, French Bread, or Quick and Easy Breadsticks.
Italian Tortellini Soup
Time: 1 hour
Recipe by Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 lb. hamburger
1 C fresh or frozen green beans, chopped
1 can kidney beans
1 C zucchini, chopped
salt and pepper
1 pk. Good Seasoning Italian Dressing Mix
1 can tomato soup
1 20 oz pkg Cheese Tortellini (I used the refrigerated kind, but you can easily use dried.)
1. Brown your hamburger in a large skillet with the onion, garlic and a bit of salt and pepper.
2. Put the canned tomatoes in a blender and blend them up nice and lovely like. Just for 30 seconds or so.
3. Put the meat mixture, blended tomatoes and all other ingredients BUT THE TORTELLINI and TOMATO SOUP into a large soup pot. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes. I like to leave the lid partially on. Less to clean up, and it keeps the heat some what trapped.
4. In a separate medium sized sauce pan cook the tortellini according to package directions. Be sure not to over cook it. When it’s done drain the water from the tortellini and add it to the large soup pot.
5. Stir in the tomato soup and let it simmer for just 5 more minutes.
The end.
Make the soup.
Eat it well.
Let it keep you warm.
Lovingly look at the rain on your tulips while you eat
this hearty soup….
Soon it will be a hot and fiery
100 degrees along the Wasatch Front.
Just you wait. (Henry Higgins)
And eat your soup.

May 12, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I love soup recipes and this one looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

May 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Jaime, this looks and sounds delish!

May 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Oh Yum! Definitely gonna try that one.

May 13, 2010 at 12:35 am

My, my that looks delicious! I don't care if it is practically summer down South, I would still eat that in the 100 degree heat! :D

May 13, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Mmmmm….I love tortellini. And I love soup! It has been raining here for the last few days and this may be just the recipe to give the family a little warmth in their bones. At least we don't live in Upstate NY anymore. They got snow over the weekend! Yikes! Thanks for sharing!

May 14, 2010 at 5:19 am

Ok, this looks sooooo good! I can't wait to try this!

xxMK

May 14, 2010 at 1:50 pm

That looks delish! Love your blog!
    PS…it was nice meeting you yesterday:)

May 14, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I made this recipe last night for dinner-everyone loved it (and we have 8 adults living at our house right now). Very easy-delicious topped with grated Parmesan cheese.

May 14, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Julie,
    8 adults all giving the thumbs up! Hooray!
    Thanks for letting me know! We always put parmesan cheese on top as well. Have a great day!

February 28, 2011 at 3:13 am

Thanks for sharing such a great recipe.

I'm having a link party featuring soup. I would love it if you would link up.

March 10, 2011 at 5:50 pm

and who don't want a good soup like this? the person who say not is a big liar, or have a terrible sense about what is food, because a normal person jump into a restauran for one of this soup bowl.

September 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Have you ever tried this recipe in a crock pot?

September 20, 2011 at 4:24 am

Hi Christen,
    This soup can cook in the crock pot, without the pasta. I would recommend adding it just before you serve the soup. Good luck!

September 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm

This turned out FABULOUS!!!! I cooked it in a crock pot and added the tomato soup and pasta right before serving just as you suggested. I know what soup I'm bringing to our Harvest Festival!!! LOVED IT!!!
    Thank you soooooo so much for all the wonderful recipes. I love you Jamie!!!

October 30, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I made this soup yesterday and it was delicious. There are only two of us so I was wondering if it freezes well? Thank you, karla burnes

February 8, 2014 at 2:47 am

Thanks for this great recipe, I love a good pork stew and this is one worth trniyg. I do love to make things more spicy so I think as you suggest more Cayenne peppers will go great. Also the chick pees is a great addition to this recipe and a good simple recipe at that! I love it! keep cooking

October 31, 2011 at 3:22 am

Hi Karla,
    Yes, the soup freezes very well. I pour it into several quart sized ziploc freezer bags and then lay them flat in my freezer. They make a great lunch for my husband to grab on his way to work. Good luck! Glad you love the soup.

March 3, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Jamie,
    I just wanted to say this is the first recipe I tried from your site. First of all I wanted to compliment you on your wonderful pictures. I'm a very visual person, I don't attempt a recipe unless it has a picture so I can see what the final outcome looks like. I love how you show your steps of the recipe through your pictures……Thank You! Now on to the recipe itself……it was a HUGE hit with my family. I didn't realize what a large amount this made, enough for plenty of 2nd servings and leftovers (my kind of meal)! This was also so hearty, that the soup itself is a complete meal! I love the variety of ingredients, it definitely was very savory!!!! Can't wait to try my next recipe from your site…..so much to choose from, they all look amazing!! Thank you for sharing your recipes with us!!!!!!!

April 1, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I just made this soup and it is very good. I will definitely make it again. I made a few changes to my liking. I used fresh italian sausage and that really gave it a good taste.
    I added fresh chopped chives and parmesan cheese once I had it in the bowl and ready to eat.
    Thanks for the recipe.

May 15, 2012 at 1:42 am

I have been making this soup for a few years now ….but slightly different.I omit the beans and use fresh spinach .I also make tiny meatballs instead of the loose beef .(sort of like Italian wedding soup …only red).thanks for all the delicious recipes on here .Im glad I found this site..:)

November 23, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Hi there I was wondering what kind of tomato soup you use? Do you use a condensed tomato soup, like from Campbell’s? Or just a regular canned tomato soup, like from Progresso? Thank you – I can’t wait to try it!

November 26, 2012 at 6:27 am

Anonymous,
      Just a regular can of condensed soup, such as Campbell’s would work great. Good luck!

maureen
    November 21, 2014 at 1:20 pm

just a thank you for the recipe it has become a family favourite and it is very easy to alter veggies anytime to make a change…