Mexican Rice Salad

Mexican Rice Salad

Hello folks!
Do I have a fun, unique salad
idea for you today!
I attended a baby shower for one of my sisters a few weeks ago and this lovely Mexican Rice Salad was served.
Sound kind of strange?
It was wonderful!
It has a great southwestern flavor
with a little spicy kick.
I love new salad ideas, so I wrote down the recipe on the spot.
I have made it a couple of times since then and my
kids all give it the thumbs up.
(love it when that happens)
Mexican Rice Salad would be a great addition to your
MEMORIAL DAY
grilling,
camping,
getting-together,
remembering of the deceased,
laying in the sun,
relaxing with a great book,
(much needed)
…WEEKEND.

I’m planning to do all of the above.
(with a running-water-cozy-bed version of camping)
What ever you’ve got planned,
take this fun salad with you!

Mexican Rice Salad

1/2 C chopped tomatoes

Dressing:
1/4 C lime juice
2 T vinegar
2 T packed brown sugar
2/3 C oil
4 pickled jalapenos (CAREFULL HERE, only use 2 if you don’t like a lot of heat)
2 t chili powder
1 t cumin

1. Cook up your rice and set aside to cool a bit before adding to the other ingredients.
2. Cook and shred your chicken. I like to place 2 chicken breasts in a deep skillet and cover them with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a rolling simmer and let the chicken cook for about 15 minutes or until it can be shredded with a fork.
3. Set the shredded chicken aside to cool as well.
4. Put all dressing ingredients in a blender and give the girl a whirl.
5. Add all salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the top and mix well with a wooden spoon.
6. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.

May 27, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Awesome Jamie, I am excited about the print button! :)

May 27, 2010 at 11:43 pm

This was really yummy!! I used left over taco meat and black beans from earlier in the week, used canned diced tomatoes with green chilies. I also added in some smoked paprika and ground chipotle peppers. The kids devoured it!

May 28, 2010 at 3:07 am

Oh this looks super great1 I cant wait to try it.

May 28, 2010 at 3:24 am

Courtney,
    You really turned this into a fancy gourmet meal! Sounds delicious, I'll have to give your ingredients a try. Thanks for letting me know!

May 28, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I made this today and LOVED it. I don't like black beans or anything spicy but I love this. I just had a question about the pickled jalapeno's. I bought a can of sliced so I'm not sure how many slices to use?

May 28, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Quick question, do you drain the beans and corn? Looks fabulous! I am looking forward to serving this for Memorial Day!

May 29, 2010 at 4:43 am

Annonymous, I purchased the sliced as well. I just kept adding them and tasting it until it was hot enough. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for letting me know. Larsens……yes you need to drain the beans and the corn. Hope you have a great weekend!

June 7, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Jamie, just wanted to let you know I made this for my son's graduation party yesterday. Everyone raved about. They all wanted to know if it would be posted in my blog, LOL. It is certainly a keeper in our house.

Samantha
    June 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Made this for a family get together. I often try new recipes out on them. Lucky people! It was a big hit. Love your web-site!!!

June 21, 2010 at 12:34 pm

So glad so many of you are enjoying this recipe!

Amy
    September 28, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I love your blog. I have tried many of your recipes now and they are all great. Your pictures are awesome too. Last night we tried the Mexican Rice salad. Everyone loved it.Keep up the good work!

Suzanne
    October 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Four thumbs up (husband and I as reviewers) for this wonderful main course salad. I added chopped cilantro, which was great. Black olives might be good in this salad, too. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Definitely a keeper.

Tanya
    October 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I see that this recipe makes 12 servings. Would 1 cup be a serving?

Amy
    October 18, 2013 at 11:06 am

Has it got Kidney beans in it?