Oatmeal Pancakes

Oatmeal Pancakes

Are you ready to meet some fabulous pancakes?
Pancakes with
whole wheat flour and oatmeal…
all combined into one!
Now don’t scoff and think your kids will turn up their noses at these fine cakes on the griddle.
Life ain’t nothin but a funny funny riddle, now…
And I’m not even a Country Boy.
 Just….a girl whipping up a few family style recipes.
Just…trying to get my kids to enjoy
whole grains when I can sneak them in.
Just….hoping you like these pancakes as much as we do.
Give these cakes on the griddle a try.
You won’t be sorry!
Oatmeal Pancakes
Yield: about 12 pancakes
Time: 15 minutes
Recipe from my dear friend Amy Howells
2 1/2 C milk
1/3 C oil
2 eggs
1 t salt
2 1/2 t baking powder
2 C oatmeal
1 C whole wheat flour
1. Place all ingredients in your blender and give it a whirl. Make sure all of the ingredients are blended up smoothly.
2. Let the batter stand for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
3. Cook on a hot griddle and serve with butter and maple syrup.

June 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Tightwad Mom sent me over … you have some incredible food photos! Love this recipe for oatmeal pancakes and will definitely give it a try.

June 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm

This recipe is perfect. I'm trying to “healthy” up breakfast, and this recipe is perfect. Thanks for such a great blog, I love visiting!

June 18, 2010 at 7:22 pm

They look yummy! I love that you have oats in them. I will definitely have to give them a try sometime soon.

February 29, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Saw these on Pinterest. Could you sub oat flour for the oats? How much does the measurement change?

February 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Hi Anonymous,
      I haven't ever made them with oat flour, so I'm not sure what the texture would be. Try adding 1 1/2 C of oat flour and then working your way up, depending on how thick the batter is. Good luck!

March 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Making this for breakfast! Looks delish!

March 6, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Question about your recipe…when you say add “2 cups oatmeal” do you mean dry oats or oatmeal (cooked on the stove with water added like I'd eat for breakfast kind of thing)? Your picture looks like you just added oats to the blender. Thanks!

March 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Hi Camille,
      Yes, use dry oatmeal. Good luck! Hope you enjoy them.

March 6, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I'm still cooking these as I type but my daughter and I have already tasted one. Yummy! She is begging for more even though I'm making her wait until dinner. We haven't even tried it with any toppings — our planned toppings are strawberries, syrup, butter, or syrup. I have tried other “non-normal” pancakes before. This is our favorite so far!

April 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Just wondering if it matters if you use quick oats vs old fashioned?

May 19, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Great! I have tried other oatmeal pancake recipes and I like this one best because it is lighter. Others are so heavy and dense. I used vanilla almond milk and they were stellar – not too sweet, just right.

May 25, 2012 at 12:45 am

Have you ever made these with olive oil? It is the only oil I have in the house and I am still learning to use it.

May 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hi Elaine,
      As a general rule, olive oil doesn't work well in baked goods. Canola or vegetable oil, or a bit of butter would work better in this recipe. Good luck!

Nicole
    September 3, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Do you know if Almond Flour would work in this recipe?
    These sound delish and I can’t wait to make and try them!

September 4, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Hi Nicole,
      I haven’t ever tried almond flour. Let me know if you try it and how it turns out. :)

Nicole
    December 5, 2012 at 8:07 am

I love these, thank you! My kids are not fond of oatmeal, but I am, it’s cheap, easy, healthy and yummy and the perfect breakfast food to keep you going. Now we found a way to make us both happy! I have made these a lot this past year or so. I have tried some variations, with the flour, sometimes more oats for half of the flour, I’ve made pumpkin versions as part of the oil plus more, cinnamon roll kind like on pinterest, and today we even added some cocoa powder and sprinkled a few mini choc chips on top of the uncooked side, and they loved it. THANK YOU!

Terra
    June 26, 2013 at 7:58 am

These were just wonderful. I’ve tried my own oatmeal style pancakes and haven’t been as successful. I like how there isn’t any sugar in this recipe. They were so fluffy and filling. Thank you for sharing. I’m definitely going to be following.

August 17, 2013 at 11:43 am

I have got one recommendation for your website. It looks like right now there are a few cascading stylesheet issues when opening a selection of webpages in google chrome as well as safari. It is functioning okay in internet explorer. Perhaps you can double check this.

Heather
    September 1, 2013 at 10:32 am

Just finished, delish! Added fresh huckleberries to pancakes immediately after putting batter in skillet. Also subbed coconut oil as we’re trying to eliminate refined oils and added 2tbs. Brown sugar to sweeten the batter a little. We were out of syrup and the boys still loved.

Eva
    January 1, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Heather, how much coconut oil did you use? Also, can you substitute apple sauce for oil?

Audra
    January 15, 2014 at 10:11 pm

These are AMAZING!!! Kids LOVE them, I LOVE them! Thanks Jamie!