BBQ-Ranch Chicken Salad

BBQ-Ranch Chicken Salad

Well my friends, Jamie Cooks It Up! has been under a bit of construction this week!
I have been fiddling, and googling, and researching, and tweaking and rearranging. The goal was to make things a bit more clear! I was shooting for easier to read, easier to search, easier to follow.
I am very happy with the result.
 I hope you will find things a bit more clear!
If you don’t find it to be an improvement,
just nod your head anyway, put on a happy face
and try to act pleasant.
If you usually search for recipes by clicking on the list I had along my side bar, just tilt your eyes up a wee bit and notice that the recipe box is up top now underneath the header. All you have to do is click on the word RECIPE and all of the categories will appear.
The easiest way to find a recipe, however is to type the keywords into the search box you see right up top.
I hope things are a bit more accessible to you all.
However, with all of these changes the print button that I had added to the bottom of each post has been lost. I’m so sorry to those of you who were enjoying using it. To be honest, I wasn’t entirely pleased with how it printed things off. It had a few kinks in it.
I am in the process of adding a different print device. Watch for it in up coming posts! On to the recipe.
Some where in the back of my mind,
I remember someone telling me about a salad like this….
A salad that combined the yummy ranch flavor we all love so much,
(ok, maybe not those of you who are extremely classy)
and the great flavors of BBQ sauce.
I was thinking about how yummy those two just might be if their worlds were to collide. So, I gave into my need to experiment
and I do believe we have a keeper, my friends.
A keeper, in deed.
(I ate it for lunch 3 days last week!)
This would be a great salad to bring to your next potluck get together, or just to make as a main course salad to feed your family for dinner. It comes together pretty quickly
and buddies up to summer time
as a perfect match.

Hope your summertime might include some beautiful scenery….
some roasted marshmallow eatin’…..
and hot dogs a-roastin’……
Happy Forth of July everyone! Have a safe holiday! Don’t let any sparklers burn a hole in your fun, now. See you back here next week for some great summer time recipes.
BBQ-Ranch Chicken Salad
Time: 40 minutes
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Salad:
2 bags Spring Mix lettuce
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/2 bunch green onions
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 red pepper, chopped
2 C cheddar cheese
1 lime
1 bag corn chips
4 chicken breasts
1/2 C BBQ sauce
Dressing:
1 1/2 C ranch dressing (I just buy the big bottle from Costco)
3/4 C BBQ Sauce (Sweet Baby Rays is my fave)
Note: You can certainly make smaller amounts of this salad and dressing. When measuring ingredients for the dressing just include 2 parts ranch to 1 part BBQ Sauce and you’ll be good to go.
1. Throw your chicken into a 9×13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Pour your BBQ sauce over the top. Bake at 400 for about 25-30 minutes. When it has cooled, chop it into 1 inch pieces.
2. Chop up your lettuce greens, cilantro, and green onion and place in a large bow. I planted all of these in my garden this year. It’s been fun to be able to go out and pick them as I like, however they are all spring time lovers and are shriveling up in this new heat. Hoping to plant them again in August.
3. Add your corn, beans, and chopped red pepper to the salad greens. Add your chicken, chips, cheese, and squirt your lime all over the top.
4. Mix the dressing ingredients together and let folks put it on themselves.
NOTE: If you are taking this to a pot luck, don’t add the chicken, chips, cheese, or lime until just before serving. It will get all soggy, and you don’t want that. I haven’t met a soggy salad that won many reviews, have you?

SOME SPONSORS…….

July 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I am going to a bbq this Sunday after church and I cannot wait to bring this salad along. You rock Jamie. Hope you and your family have a fabulous 4th of July weekend.

July 2, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Yum! This sounds really good. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

July 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Jaime, I have a very similar recipe that my friend made up after eating it at Paradise Bakery in American Fork. It's delish.

July 2, 2010 at 5:30 pm

P.S. I made your whole wheat apple pancakes last month and loved them so much I made a double batch last week to keep some in the freezer.

July 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm

We had this salad last night for dinner and it was a hit with everyone. Who would have thought mixing Ranch and BBQ sauce would be so good. This one is a keeper!

July 13, 2010 at 3:39 am

We had this tonight (with a few personal preference changes) and it was delish!!!! Because I was lazy, I used Lighthouse Dressing BBQ Ranch salad dressing – but it was so yummy. The kids said it was their favorite salad and had seconds and thirds- WOW!!! Love your blog. Thanks for the great recipes!

July 14, 2010 at 3:23 pm

We had this salad in Lake Powell last week and it was a huge hit. This is a new favorite for my family. Where did you get your cute little glass pitcher that holds your dressing? It is darling and every time I see it in your pictures I mean to ask you where you got it.

July 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Marianne,
    I'm so glad your family loved it! Thanks for letting me know. I got the cute glass picture as a gift from a family member. It was given as a door prize at a fun womens retreat I went on a few years back with several generations of women from my family. There is a cute sticker on the side that's not shown in the picture that says “Pearly Girls Bakery”…my great grandmas name was Pearl. Isn't that cute! Love it. Love to take pictures with it too…I figure she might be up there in heaven, smiling down on me while I cook up all this food.
    Have a great day Marianne!

October 19, 2010 at 10:04 pm

This salad doesn't show up when I search in your recipes tab under salads. Also your blue berry muffins don't show up under the muffins labels. If you could add them, so I don't have to keep going through the whole blog to find them, that would be great.
    I LOVE your blog. It is great how easy it is to follow with the pictures and instructions. Lots of us out here in Minnesota (in our ward) are following your blog. LOVE IT!

October 20, 2010 at 2:15 am

Minnesota Fun!,
    Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention. I have added the links to my recipe file. Glad you are enjoying the recipes! Have a great day!

December 3, 2010 at 12:56 am

The salad is something that I should really try. It really looks delicious. Lovely salad!

February 8, 2014 at 12:13 am

should last a few months at least but a profsesfional would tell you not to use it after a few weeks at best. Mold can grow around the lip of the container even if lots of vinegar. If you are going to properly bottle it then it could last much longer and won’t require refrigeration. Google canning (jars) its actually easy but be sure to follow directions.

December 3, 2010 at 12:56 am

February 8, 2011 at 1:21 pm

This was a very good salad and you are so right you have to use baby ray bbq sauce. I tried another one just to see the difference and it was a lot different and no where near as good.

THANKS

May 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hi Jamie! Thanks for once again, another great-looking recipe! I will utilize the grill on this, since it's summer here now! Blessings from Bama!

Jennine
    March 20, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I made this tonight for dinner. It was really easy to put together. I bought a rotisserie chicken at Smith’s, cut it into pieces, outed bbq sauce on it and stuck it in the oven for 15 minutes 325 degrees while I prepared the other ingredients. This is such a yummy salad! My husband and 4 year old both ate it and said so. It makes a ton of food though… enough to feed a crowd. For my family of four I will cut it and the dressing recipe in half next time. I have more spring mix left over in my fridge than I know what to do with. Thank you for the great recipe though! I will definitely make again.

August 29, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Once you approve our response, we are able to deliver $0.01 to a memorable
    cause.

September 13, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I don’t know if it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing problems with your
    site. It looks like some of the written text on your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening
    to them as well? This may be a issue with my browser because I’ve had this happen before.

Many thanks

Tammy Henderson
    January 6, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Hello Jamie, first I have to say that you are my go-to girl when I need to make supper. I’ve tried so many of your recipes and they are always delicious. This is one of our favorites. We keep a bottle of the dressing in our fridge at all time. We have dubbed it “Awesome Sauce” and we use it on everything–hot dogs, sandwiches, salads, even to dip our taquitos in. So yummy!!

January 7, 2016 at 8:42 am

Hi Tammy,
      Thanks for your kind words. So happy to hear the recipes are turning out so well for you and your family. Such a great idea, to keep the dressing for this salad handy for other things. I’ll have to try it. Thanks for the suggestion!
      All the best,