Taco Soup in the Crock or on the Stove Top

Taco Soup in the Crock or on the Stove Top

Well, well, well. How in the world are you! I hope this fall-ish season is treating you well. I say fall-ish…because the temperature around here seems to be so high still!!! What is going on? Who ordered 90 degree weather the last week of September. Was it you?
Don’t worry now, I won’t turn you in or anything. Truth is, it’s kind of nice.
I have been busy on a little trip to Chicago with some of the
Blogher team.
You can read all about it on my review blog  by clicking here
For you fine blog reading friends I have a very basic recipe today. This is a soup that my Mom made for us as kids, and I make for mine pretty regularly. It can be prepared and then left in the Crock Pot to simmer all day, or you can just let it sit on the stove top to simmer for about an hour. Either way, you will be pleased with the hearty dinner this creates. My kids all give it a thumbs up.
5 thumbs up.
That is a blessing.
Plain and simple.

This soup is wonderful with my Corn Bread recipe.
Makes me feel like fall.
Fall….in 90 degree weather.

Taco Soup

1  6 oz can tomato paste
1 fajita, or taco seasoning packet
Juice from 1 lime
4 T maple syrup
2 C water

Toppings:
Tortilla Chips, cheddar cheese, sour cream
1. Grab your ground beef, chop up your onion and put them into a hot skillet. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the top and let the meat brown up and the onions get nice and soft.
2. Place your canned tomatoes in a blender and blend them up, nice and pretty like.
3. Add all ingredients but the toppings to your crock pot, or to a large soup pot if you are planning on letting it simmer on the stove.
4. For the crock pot cook on high for 5 hours, for the stove top let it come to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and let it simmer for 1 hour.
Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream and cheddar cheese.

September 30, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Yum! Thanks for our dinner idea tonight. I love Taco Soup. We used to make it with ground beef but it tastes just as good (if not better IMHO) without the beef. Also, we get the large containers of Taco Seasoning from Costco. Love that! Can't wait to try the cornbread too. Have yet to find a moist recipe. Looks delish! :P

September 30, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing

September 30, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I was just thinking last night about searching for a crock pot taco soup recipe today, and voila – you posted one. Fantastic. I can't wait to give it a try.

ButterYum

September 30, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I love taco soup! Made some 2 nights ago and we're eating the last of it tonight.

September 30, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I love taco soup! I'm having a hard time thinking it's fall,because it has been in the high 80's low 90's here,too. I wish I would have known, I wouldn't have rushed to buy my kid's school pants quite so soon! At least the garden is still producing!

September 30, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I've never put maple syrup in mine, will have to give that a try. Sounds yummy. I do chicken though since the hubby doesn't like ground beef. Thanks for sharing. The cornbread looks so yummy and would be wonderful with some butter and honey on top – my fav.

October 1, 2010 at 1:16 am

What a delicious looking bowlful of soup. Plus, I could never resist a piece of cornbread.

October 1, 2010 at 12:23 pm

i loove taco soup!!! i use paula deens recipe but yours is looking delish.

October 3, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I love taco soup. I used Paula Deans recipe, she adds one can of drained black olives, one jar of drained green olives and a packet of ranch dressing mix. I really think the ranch is the key.

October 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Never made taco soup but I have been seeing a lot of it around the blogosphere.. This sounds like a great recipe!!

April 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I'm confused isn't it just chili, with taco seasoning?

Brianna
      February 6, 2014 at 3:45 pm

No, chili is generally a lot thicker. The taco soup is more liquidy and has a completely different taste to it.

April 26, 2012 at 6:58 am

I love taco soup and this looks delicious! I have always put some Ranch dressing mix in mine and it gives it a little zing! Thanks so much!

Polly
    September 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Help!! The link to your cornbread recipe isn’t working

Polly
    September 24, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Thanks so much. I can’t wait to make it.

Marisa
    November 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Do you rinse the black beans first?

MaLinda
    November 25, 2012 at 7:23 am

I want to make this but I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mexican Stewed Tomatoes at my grocery store! What brand are they and what aisle did you find them in??

November 26, 2012 at 6:25 am

MaLinda,
      They are kept with the other stewed tomatoes. If they don’t have any that say “Mexican Stewed Tomatoes” you may be able to see some that have added lime and cilantro, those would work great as well. Good luck!

MaLinda
    December 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm

What does blending the stewed tomatoes do? Does it help make the broth or does it just break them down so they’re not so big?

December 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hi Malinda,
      Blending the stewed tomatoes adds to the broth and makes it so the tomatoes aren’t too large.

Jennifer
    January 31, 2013 at 7:45 am

I have a slightly different taco soup recipe that is a staple in our home – I’ll have to give this one a try. One thing we use instead of tortilla chips as a topping is crushed Fritos – they are yum! :) Thanks for all the great recipes!

MIsty
    September 18, 2013 at 11:06 am

MIsty
    September 18, 2013 at 11:06 am

What does the maple syrup do? is it really necessary? will it make it sweet at all? I want to try this!!

September 19, 2013 at 6:16 am

Misty,
      You can leave the maple syrup out. Is just adds another layer of flavor…it doesn’t make it sweet much at all. Good luck!

Ruth
    November 4, 2014 at 7:46 am

When does the lime get added?! And is it just the juice needed?! If that’s the case will lime juice be ok to use and how much?

November 5, 2014 at 8:01 am

Ruth,
      You just need the juice of the lime. Just add it to the pot with all the other ingredients. Best of luck to you!

Aimee
    November 16, 2014 at 8:34 am

Hi Jamie,
    Just to be sure, do I need to drain the liquid off the canned ingredients?

Thank you!