Zucchini Cake with Sour Cream Frosting

Zucchini Cake with Sour Cream Frosting

Hello to you!
It is time.
Time to search your garden for some zucchini.
Some of you might be thinking….
“Search?!?!?! I’ve got the blasted things coming out of my ears!”
Others might be thinking….
“If only they would have grown.”
Or, you just might have one precious zucchini left to your name, and you are right this minute wondering how best to use it.
Lucky for you….
And lucky for me….
(another botulism free recipe. Hallelujah.)
This recipe is down right
 FABULOUS!
After I tasted it, I zoomed some cake around to several neighbors.
Because I like to be sort of nice.
And because I had borrowed the
zucchini to make it in the first place.
And mostly because had it remained on the premises, I’d have eaten “THE ENTIRE CONFECTION”!!
“See ya at lunch”

This recipe comes from my husbands Grandma Marcella. Our Aunt Delsa passed it on to me a couple of weeks ago while we were at Bear Lake. The recipe pictured above is written in Grandma Marcella’s very own handwriting. She passed away several years ago, so this recipe is a real treasure.
Thanks for passing it on to me Delsa! We loved the cake,
and so did my neighbors.
Zucchini Cake with Sour Cream Frosting
Frosting:
2 1/2 C powdered sugar
1/3 C sour cream, room temperature
1/4 C butter, softened
3/4 t vanilla
1/8 t salt

1. Peel the pretty green off of your zucchini.
2. Chop that zucchini all up into chucks.
3. Put the chunks into your blender and blend. Now. Don’t be disappointed, but they may not blend up all at once. I generally have to stick a wooden spoon into the top and gently push the chunks into the blade. Careful now. Don’t let the spoon get chopped. Just push down on the top a bit and soon you’ll have a nice smooth consistency. You need 1 1/2 C of zucchini puree.
4. In a large mixing bowl add the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Mix with a wooden spoon to incorporate well.
5. In a separate bowl combine the melted butter, milk, sugar, eggs and zucchini.
6. Add the wet ingredients to the dry.
7. Beat with your electric beaters, or in your Kitchen Aid for about 2 minutes, or until nice and smooth.
8. Spray your bundt pan generously with cooking spray. Pour the batter in and get this baby into the oven. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Stick a knife or toothpick into the center of the cake and be sure it comes out nice and clean before you take the cake out of the oven.
9. Let your cake cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Then set a plate over the top of the pan and invert the cake onto it. Let the cake cool completely.
10. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine all frosting ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy.
11. Pour over the top of your cooled cake.

September 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Wow! What a cake! Family recipes are so special! Thanks for sharing! Book marked! :)

September 19, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Aww…I loved that woman! She was the sweetest! Thanks for sharing!

September 21, 2010 at 2:49 am

Great way to use up the zucchini!

September 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Tried it on Sunday and it was delicious! Though it didn't look nearly as beautiful as yours. Maybe next time I make it, it will (I think I might need more powdered sugar to stiffen up the sour cream frosting). Thanks for the great recipes.

September 24, 2010 at 3:16 pm

We made it on Sunday. Delicious! Making it again this weekend. When I read “sour cream” frosting, I almost made my traditional cream cheese frosting. I had never heard of sour cream frosting before and thought it sounded weird. I am sure glad I didnt! The frosting was super yummy!

October 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I love your site, they always have good recipes which I love the most. They are fabulous and delicious! We own a Wall Mirrors ecommerce site and are always looking for great content to share and help inspire. Thanks.

April 17, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I never tried it until now! I think it's easy to prepare.

August 20, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Made this for a family picnic today. DELISH!!!

September 10, 2011 at 3:10 am

SERIOUSLY amazing. Made it for a potluck tonight- Loved loved loved.

September 12, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Jamie, we've made this cake a couple of times now. It's the best zucchini cake we've had. Loved it!!

Jackie Mitchell
    September 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Hey, I just found this (awesome!) recipe, and wanted to pass on an idea I pinned recently where you transfer a cherished handwritten family recipe to a dish towel. It seems like the perfect way to remember Grandma Marcella and wouldn’t it make a great gift? So cool! Check it out here:

And thanks for the winner recipe! LOVE the way the glaze coats the cake! Can’t wait to try it!

September 6, 2012 at 9:05 am

How cute it that! Thanks for the idea, so nice of you to pass it on.

Marilyn
    August 20, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Awesome recipe- icing and all!

Allison
    August 19, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Can I use yellow zucchini instead? Has anyone ever tried it? I have a garden fresh yellow zucchini and don’t know what to make.

August 20, 2014 at 6:42 am

Allison,
      I haven’t ever tried it with yellow squash. Not sure how it would turn out. Sorry I’m not much help there. Best of luck to you,

Allison
        August 21, 2014 at 8:11 am

Well I made the zucchini cake yesterday with a yellow zucchini and it was delicious!
        Thank you for a great recipe ????
        The icing is a great pairing to this not too sweet cake!