Fluffy Dinner Rolls

Fluffy Dinner Rolls

So I have been thinking lately.
“A dangerous past time, I know.”
 But, I just can’t help myself.
I’ve been dreaming and scheming and thinking of how I could make some really wonderful dinner rolls,
without taking up 3 hours of time. Yes, I know. An extremely intellectual topic.

There are two roll recipes already on the site that are FABULOUS, if I do say so myself. If you are looking for some knock your socks off crescent rolls that will feed a crowd (the recipe makes 48) then try these
HOLIDAY CRESCENT ROLLS You’ll be the hit of the party with these beauties.
CRACKED WHEAT FEATHER ROLLS are also wonderful. The cracked wheat gives them a great texture. There is a tutorial included in this post on making the rolls into a beautiful rosette shape. They turn out beautiful and delicious. Again, another crowd pleaser.
But sometimes, I just want something a little bit faster that still tastes delightfully delicious. And so I have for you these Fluffy Dinner Rolls. The recipe makes one dozen, perfect for a week night dinner. They take just over an hour to make, most of that time being rising in your warm oven, and then baking. So the hands on time is pretty short. Woo Hoo! MyHandsomeHusband said they tasted just as good as my Holiday Crescent Rolls. Hot diggity dog. Put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

Fluffy Dinner Rolls
Time: about 1 hour 10 minutes
Yield: 12 rolls
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

3/4 C milk
4 Tb butter
3/4 C hot water
4 Tb sugar
1 tsp salt
4 – 4 1/2 C flour
1 heaping Tb yeast (I use active dry)
1. Pour your milk into a microwave safe container. These Pyrex glass measuring cups work fabulously. Add your butter to the milk and put it in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
2. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees. While the milk is getting nice and toasty, turn on the tap to get your hot water. Temperature is important to making these rolls rise quickly. If you add cold water, your rolls will are going to rise at a snails pace, and you’ll feel like cursing. We wouldn’t want that kind of thing going on….so please add hot water. I put my hand in the water to test it. You want it to be almost too hot to put your hand in.
3. Put your milk/butter and hot water in the bottom of your Kitchen Aid Mixer. Add the sugar and salt. Then add 2 C of the flour…let it mix for 1 minute.
4. Add the yeast. Turn the mixer on and add the rest of the flour 1 C at a time.
5. You have enough flour when the dough scrapes the side of the bowl clean. Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes. You need the plastic wrap to trap the heat.
7. Take a bit of butter and coat the inside of a 9×13 pan.
8. Spray your counter, or a cutting board with cooking spray. Lay your dough on top of it.
9. Take a sharp knife, spray it with cooking spray and cut your dough into 12 pieces. Make them as equal as you can….perfection is not necessary. What a relief.
10. Gently round them into balls, and put them in your buttered 9×13 pan.
11. Put the pan into your warm 170 degree oven. Let them rise for about 20 minutes or until they have risen an 1 inch above the rim of the pan.

12. Leave your pan in the oven and turn the heat up to 350 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes. The 15 minutes includes the time it takes the oven to increase in temperature. If your oven takes a long old time….you will of course need to increase the time baking. Bake until golden brown.

13. Brush with a little softened butter.

October 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm

BEAUTIFUL! I love how quick these are…

and “I use antlers in all of my decorating!” 😉

October 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm

These look great. I am bookmarking this!

October 19, 2010 at 11:05 pm

What a great recipe. Actually, I looked over all your roll recipes and can't wait to try each one, especially those Lion House rolls that I've heard so much about. But, this one is ideal because of its quickness. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

October 19, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Beautiful Buns Jamie!!!! Oh my bread is my weakness so I am going to make these. I am always stuck with making rolls that take too long to rise and bake. These will be perfect. Thanks for sharing.

October 19, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Thanks Jamie! I've been looking for a recipe just like this. I'll be making them this week for sure!

October 20, 2010 at 12:11 am

these are on my “must try soon” list! thanks!!! and those pumpkin pancakes look to die for too!

October 20, 2010 at 2:29 am

this looks to easy. I think I'll be making them soon!

October 20, 2010 at 2:43 am

Amanda,
    “….and every last inch of me is covered in HAIR!”
    Glad at least one person got the joke. Thanks for leaving your comment, it cracked me up!

Jackie
    October 20, 2010 at 8:36 pm

What a great recipe! I am horrible at making buns, they never turn out well, always hard and chewy. These look amazing and I can't wait to try them out, thanks so much for sharing!

October 21, 2010 at 7:46 am

Thank you for posting! These a VERY fluffy rolls indeed. My family LOVED them! VERY FAST recipe too! Thanks again.

October 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I made these last night…yummy!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

October 21, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I was just complaining that every roll recipe makes SO many rolls! This will be perfect for my little family! Thanks again!

October 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Audra and Tammy,
    I'm so glad to hear you both tried them so quickly. And I'm always thrilled when they are a success! Thanks for letting me know!

October 22, 2010 at 12:45 am

I tried these tonight and they are WoNdErFuL!!! Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe (as well as all the other ones too).

October 22, 2010 at 12:57 am

I made these rolls tonight. The first time in my entire life that I have ever made homemade rolls. (My version of homemade is Rhodes) They turned out awesome. So easy and so good. Thank you so much. Now I won't be scared to make other types of breads. Oh and these rolls are really good with your sloppy joe recipe.

October 22, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I made them 2 nights in a row! So GREAT!! The second night I thought I might swap some white for wheat flour. So I measured 3 cups of white and 1 1/2 cups of wheat. They turned out nice, just took a littl while longer to rise. About 15-20 min. THanks again Jamie. 🙂

October 27, 2010 at 1:24 am

I just finished baking these rolls and they turned out perfect! I have had a kitchen aid for 6 years and could never get decent bread. I am really enjoying your website. Thank you for sharing your time and talents! I am excited to share these rolls with my husband and son. It will make this rainy cold night a little warmer!

October 27, 2010 at 3:45 am

I made these tonight! and linked you up on my blog! thanks!

October 28, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I needed this recipe!!

November 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I tried tying these rolls and cooking them in a muffin tin. It worked out great. The dough is very easy to stretch and shape, and the rolls are just the right size for a muffin tin. Thanks!

November 10, 2010 at 3:19 am

I've made these rolls twice and we love them! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

November 16, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Hey Jamie. I made these for a recent big family dinner and everybody just loved them. I want to make them for Thanksgiving. I was wondering if these can be prepared and then refrigerated the night before, and if so, at what point of the process? I will have too much going on the morning of Thanksgiving to deal with homemade rolls. But these are the best and I want them on our table. Thanks!

November 17, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Rhondi,
    I'm so glad you loved the rolls!
    Here is what I know about this dough. It has a lot of yeast and a lot of hot liquid. If you try and put in the fridge after its made it will rise like crazy…right out of the bowl it's in and make a huge mess. Another option might be to shape the rolls, space them out on a large jelly roll pan and freeze until firm. Then place them in a freezer safe ziploc bag. Take them out the morning of, spray your 9×13 pan with cooking spray, add them to the pan and let them rise. My guess is that it would take about 3 hours for them to rise. Now…beware, I haven't tried this method with this recipe. You might want to give it a try in the next couple of days, just to see. My thoughts are they wouldn't be as good as freshly made….but close. Especially hot from the oven. Trying to make hot rolls from scratch on Thanksgiving Day can definitely be a challenge. Let me know how it goes, if you try it Rhondi. I'd love to hear about it. Good Luck!

November 17, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Thanks Jamie! I will definitely make a batch this week. Your ideas sound like they will work just fine. I will let you know back. What kind of bread do you normally serve with your Thanksgiving meal?

November 18, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Hi Rhondi,
    My husband and I both come from large families. He is the 2nd of 8 kids and I am the oldest of 6. All of our family members live here in Utah! So whichever side of the family we decide to eat with, there are a lot of people to take assignments. I generally only have a handfull of things I'm assigned to bring, so I usually make a double batch (96 rolls!) of Holiday Crescent Rolls (recipe on the site)the morning of Thanksgiving.
    I'm excited to hear how your rolls turn out. Good Luck!

November 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Hey Jamie. I was too scared of the 4 hour rise time it would have taken on Thanksgiving day to try and freeze them. I didn't have a chance to do a test run. What a mistake to make a different recipe from Maratha Stewart's website for no knead rolls…they were very dense and hard on the outside. Your dinner rolls are my favorite and will be on my regular rotation to go with our soups this winter. Thanks for your help though. Hope your Thanksgiving was great! I'm sure your crescent rolls were amazing.

November 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I made these rolls for Thanksgiving and they are great! So simple to make, and my family loved them. These are definitely going on my keeper list. I'll be posting these on my site soon. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

December 6, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Hi, I'm your newest follower, can't wait to look around!

anne

December 21, 2010 at 9:33 pm

If I don't have a kitchen aid, do I just knead the dough by hand? I really want to try these for Christmas dinner. I should have asked Santa for a Kitchen Aid!!

December 22, 2010 at 5:51 am

Suz,
    I will cross my fingers that Santa brings you a Kitchen Aid. That would sure be a great gift.
    You can indeed knead this dough by hand. You may need a bit less flour, and I would recommend letting it rise for about 45 minutes before you shape it into balls. Hand kneading requires a longer rising time, than when you mix with a machine. Good luck! Hope they turn out well!

January 13, 2011 at 3:36 am

I made them tonight and they were great! Thanks so much!

April 6, 2011 at 2:52 am

These rolls are pretty much INCREDIBLE!!! So quick and easy which makes them even better! Thanks for the recipe!

Sandy Acree
    April 8, 2011 at 11:12 am

Made them and they turned out awesome! I have tried yeast rolls so many times and they never turned out. So excited with this recipe.

April 24, 2011 at 6:11 am

Well hello there neighbor! So I have a Lion House cook book 3rd edition from 1980! And I really wanted to make the lion house rolls for easter, 40 people. So naturally I thought 5 doz. would be plenty. Well I am very much a visual learner and there are NO pictures in this 1980 cook book; and for what ever reason I only ended up with 34, you can imagine my dispare @ 10:30 tonight when I realize I don't have enough. So I check on your wonderful blog and see how you did the recipe a bit differently, so sad for me. Then I come across this little beauty and it was half the time, with step by step pictures! Wahoo! You saved me and they turned out beautiful. So thank you from all the 40 hungry stomaches that will be delightfully fed by these!

-Lynette

April 24, 2011 at 6:11 am

-Lynette

August 7, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I love your blog! I come here almost every day to find something to cook or bake or just stare at and drool over 🙂 I love the step by step pictures and your on-the-side comments always make me laugh. Thank you for getting me over my fear of yeast breads! If you ever put out a recipe book, I will be the first in line!

August 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I just wanted to thank you so much for this recipe! I have been making these rolls for several month now. I thank I can safely say the recipe has been my best discovery this entire year of trying new recipes. And I try A LOT of new recipes! Ones on-line, cooking blogs, cookbooks, cooking mags, etc. I hope to be making these rolls for my great grand children one day. 🙂 My family has enjoyed all of the many recipes of yours that I have tried. Thanks again!

September 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Made these for dinner last night and they were great! Love how easy the recipe and the rolls are so nice and light! Thanks for the recipe, I'll be making these again and again!

melanie
    October 29, 2011 at 4:21 am

Jamie, I made these rolls tonight and my boys loved them!!! I made your double chocolate zucchini muffins yesterday and they loved them too (only they have no idea they have zucchini in them or they wouldn't touch them). My only regret it that I didn't add more chocolate chips, my boys added them to the warm muffins, so next time I'm going to add 2 cups!!! I love love love your blog and it makes my day to read it!! You are a gifted girl!! I hope I see you on the food network soon, cause you'd win. You should audition for your own show!!!!!!!!!!!

October 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Hi, Jamie. This is my first visit to your website. I love to cook. But don't know how to bake bread! I want to try this recipe. I don't have a Kitchen Aid. But I do have a bread machine. Can I use the rise function to knead? Pam in Oklahoma

October 31, 2011 at 1:12 am

Made these tonight and they were so yummy! This was my first time ever making rolls and definitely will not be my last! Thanks!

October 31, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Hi Pam,
    I used to make yeast bread dough all the time in my little bread maker before I had a Kitchen Aid. Just be sure it kneads it for the right amount of time, and you'll be good to go. Good luck! Hope they turn out well for you!

November 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Is the yeast instant? Thanks.

November 9, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Hi Diann,
    Thanks for your question. I always active dry yeast. You can use instant for this recipe, just use 1 Tablespoon, instead of a 1 heaping Tablespoon. Good luck!

Lou
    November 21, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Hi Jamie~
    Thanking you so very much for this roll receipe, all l can say is YUm!!!!! Even done by hand thet turned out quite nicely. Yes! You are right doing it by hand you need less flour! l'll be doing this receipe for my Xmas supper. Again, Jamie, thank-you, you are a genius!!!!!
    Keep up the great work!
    Your loyal fan
    Lou

December 25, 2011 at 9:48 pm

These rolls were great!! I made them for Christmas Eve and they came out perfect.
    I love your blog. I think I came across it from Pinterest, and I have tried your Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chedder Chicken, Snickerdoodles, and now the rolls. Everything has been great! Thanks!!

January 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I needed bread in a hurry so I tried your recipe. They turned out great!! Thanks so much! I'll definitely make these again! 🙂

Julie
    February 13, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Making bread has always scared me, but I've made these twice now. They are easy and delicious!! My family loves them!

February 29, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I've always been really bad at making rolls…..but your recipe has given me new-found confidence. My family just gobbles them up and they look beautiful. Thank you!

March 19, 2012 at 3:09 am

These are awesome. I have made them dozens of times…this recipe makes rolls on a week night a reality. I really really love this recipe. Thank you for sharing. Rising in a warm oven? Brilliant. I hate rolls that are too light and airy….these are perfect…not dry or too light….just perfect…we had them today with honey butter with marshmallow cream….oh, heaven. Have you ever made cinnamon rolls with this dough? I am thinking this would be a fast cinnamon roll….thanks again for an amazing recipe.

March 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm

This dough would work very well as a cinnamon roll dough. Good luck! So glad they have been turning out so well for you. Have a great day!