Fluffy Dinner Rolls

Fluffy Dinner Rolls

So I have been thinking lately.
“A dangerous past time, I know.”
 But, I just can’t help myself.
I’ve been dreaming and scheming and thinking of how I could make some really wonderful dinner rolls,
without taking up 3 hours of time. Yes, I know. An extremely intellectual topic.

There are two roll recipes already on the site that are FABULOUS, if I do say so myself. If you are looking for some knock your socks off crescent rolls that will feed a crowd (the recipe makes 48) then try these
HOLIDAY CRESCENT ROLLS You’ll be the hit of the party with these beauties.
CRACKED WHEAT FEATHER ROLLS are also wonderful. The cracked wheat gives them a great texture. There is a tutorial included in this post on making the rolls into a beautiful rosette shape. They turn out beautiful and delicious. Again, another crowd pleaser.
But sometimes, I just want something a little bit faster that still tastes delightfully delicious. And so I have for you these Fluffy Dinner Rolls. The recipe makes one dozen, perfect for a week night dinner. They take just over an hour to make, most of that time being rising in your warm oven, and then baking. So the hands on time is pretty short. Woo Hoo! MyHandsomeHusband said they tasted just as good as my Holiday Crescent Rolls. Hot diggity dog. Put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

Fluffy Dinner Rolls
Time: about 1 hour 10 minutes
Yield: 12 rolls
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

3/4 C milk
4 Tb butter
3/4 C hot water
4 Tb sugar
1 tsp salt
4 – 4 1/2 C flour
1 heaping Tb yeast (I use active dry)
1. Pour your milk into a microwave safe container. These Pyrex glass measuring cups work fabulously. Add your butter to the milk and put it in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
2. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees. While the milk is getting nice and toasty, turn on the tap to get your hot water. Temperature is important to making these rolls rise quickly. If you add cold water, your rolls will are going to rise at a snails pace, and you’ll feel like cursing. We wouldn’t want that kind of thing going on….so please add hot water. I put my hand in the water to test it. You want it to be almost too hot to put your hand in.
3. Put your milk/butter and hot water in the bottom of your Kitchen Aid Mixer. Add the sugar and salt. Then add 2 C of the flour…let it mix for 1 minute.
4. Add the yeast. Turn the mixer on and add the rest of the flour 1 C at a time.
5. You have enough flour when the dough scrapes the side of the bowl clean. Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes. You need the plastic wrap to trap the heat.
7. Take a bit of butter and coat the inside of a 9×13 pan.
8. Spray your counter, or a cutting board with cooking spray. Lay your dough on top of it.
9. Take a sharp knife, spray it with cooking spray and cut your dough into 12 pieces. Make them as equal as you can….perfection is not necessary. What a relief.
10. Gently round them into balls, and put them in your buttered 9×13 pan.
11. Put the pan into your warm 170 degree oven. Let them rise for about 20 minutes or until they have risen an 1 inch above the rim of the pan.

12. Leave your pan in the oven and turn the heat up to 350 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes. The 15 minutes includes the time it takes the oven to increase in temperature. If your oven takes a long old time….you will of course need to increase the time baking. Bake until golden brown.

13. Brush with a little softened butter.

May 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm

This may be a stupid question but I am very new to the baking world. What kind of flour do u use All purpose or the self-rising?? All I have is all purpose.
    Your site is amazing!! Trying ur b-Que chicken tonight would love to surprise my family with homemade rolls. Thanks ahead of time for ur help!!

May 22, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Hi Dawn,
      Your question isn't stupid at all. You need all purpose flour for these rolls. Good luck! I hope your family loves them. 🙂

May 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Thanks for your quick response 🙂 in the oven now rising.*crossing fingers* they turn out!!

February 8, 2014 at 5:20 am

this though..I’ve also read that after a year it’s coommn for them to wake more in the night due to more activity, more alertness, more awareness etc. They just want to be awake more to take everything in and sometimes they get restless and wake up.In any case these are my opinions and my experiences. All children are different and after all isn’t parenting just one big guessing game?? I always say if in doubt blame it on teething .A full uninterrupted night of sleep is always nice though. My problem now is that even though my child sleeps through I wake up anyway..it’s parental programming I think. sigh

May 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Jamie,
    I just found your blog via pinterest. I. AM. ADDICTED! I pinned so many recipes and I'm a new follower! Love all you pics…they make me want to take bites of my computer!
    I look forward to your posts!
    Have a great day!

September 1, 2012 at 10:15 am

Hi! I found this through Pinterest, and these look delicious! I have a question about the butter, should it be salted or unsalted…or does it not matter? Thank you.

September 3, 2012 at 12:43 am

Layla,
      I always use salted butter. Good luck. Hope you love the rolls.

Kristin
    September 3, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Let me just say “YUM!” I made a batch of these rolls for my kids’ lunches and then decided to make another batch into cinnamon rolls. So easy and delicious!!
    Thanks for the recipe!

February 7, 2014 at 10:43 pm

These pictures are wendorful! She’s already a little model! Definitely would recommend this photographer! The creativity of these photos is unreal! So sweet! Way to show off the newest member of the family! She’s A doll! Wonderful job Kelly, and of course Tina and Paul for creating yet again another beauty!

February 8, 2014 at 12:04 am

I usually have to bring my kids since Chris has wedgnids most saturdays in the summer.. which means I will probably be doing less garage saling this summer. I usually do drive bys to see if it looks like a good one before I drag my kids out of the car with me. I do newspaper, cl, and word of mouth .

Chris
    September 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I have been making these with your recipe for some time now. Yummy! I am going to this one more than my mom’s 90 Minute roll recipe which we have used for years. They are sooo light and fluffy. I use this to make Dogs in Dough all the time. Thanks, Jamie!

Hollie
    September 17, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! Works great every single time! Everyone always told me I would KILL my yeast with high temps, I was scared of this recipe, but they looked so so good- it works better than my other recipes and isn’t demanding and time consuming. Thank you!

Kelli
    September 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I was scrolling through the pictures so I could know what to expect at the next step and on the step where you say to spray the counter or a cutting board, I noticed that we have the same countertop! Woo yeah! Anyway, I’m about to prep the cutting board because I don’t feel like wiping the counter down again tonight. Thanks for the recipe! I hope it turns out!

Rebecca
    October 10, 2012 at 4:38 am

I am just wondering if hand kneading would make a difference. I don’t own a mixer.

October 10, 2012 at 6:42 am

Rebecca,
      If you are kneading it by hand, you will want to let the dough rise for about 30 minutes before you shape it into rolls. This will help keep the rolls nice and fluffy for you. Good luck!

Jeaneene
    October 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Nice recipe. I will probably try. But, and this is just a small off-topic suggestion, maybe you shouldn’t call your husband simple-minded. Google the 8-Cow Wife. Take this in the best possible way, won’t you? Men have a hard enough time with all the average husbands on TV depicted as dufus-types. Respect is the one thing that most men wish they had from their wives.

Carina
    October 13, 2012 at 9:03 am

I was sceptical of this recipe – often ‘easy’ means compromise on taste. But made the rolls today and what a pleasant surprise! Thanks for a great recipe, they will be made again!

Rikki
    October 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Could these rolls be made the day before and frozen or placed in the fridge to bake later?

October 15, 2012 at 7:17 am

Hi Rikki,
      Funny you ask, I just gave this recipe a try by making the rolls in the morning, shaping them, and then letting them rise in the fridge (while we were away at church). They were in the fridge for about 3 hours. They did rise, but they needed a couple of more hours before they could rise fully. If you are interested in a dough that can be frozen, give this link a try.
      Good luck!

Rikki
    October 15, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Thanks for the input, I will give it a try.

February 7, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Love the deals you got! I’m not into garage sale-ing very much, bauecse it often ends up being a lot of work for very little end result. But a couple of weeks ago we got 2 bikes and 2 scooters for $65, which may not sound like a great deal, but it was. I love second hand shopping more than garage sales though!! I have scored some great deals. I am willing to try more garage sales though in the right neighborhood.

Megan Shaw
    October 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

These make amazing cinnamon rolls.

November 4, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I just made these tonight. Thanks! Is there a way for me to follow your blog via email to see new posts? I can’t see that and I know I won’t remember to look here regularly.

Karlene
    November 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm

These look sinful. Thank you for sharing. I have a question for you. First let me say, I do not normally cook or bake. My nights are usually pizza and Chinese delivery. However, I have just been asked to bring dinner rolls to Thanksgiving which I have a 4 hour travel time. I don’t want to bring the brown n serve that I would normally get and was wondering what your thoughts are on making the dough the night before and putting the pre-made pans in the fridge then travel and bake at my destination…. or just make the night before and reheat. Like I said, I don’t normally cook. So I am open to any and all suggestions.

November 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Love, love, love this recipe! I have never had rolls turn out so well. I did find my texture to be a bit crumbly, is there something I can do to make them smoother? Maybe I let them rise too long?

Grace
    December 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Forgive me but I have no idea what T stands for?? Tablespoon or teaspoon. I want to make these for Christmas Lunch but don’t want to mess it up by adding too much or too little. Thank you to whomever responds.

Grace
    December 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Never mind. I looked it up in your frequently asked questions. Silly me to overlook it. Thank you anyways 🙂

December 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Grace,
      No problem. 🙂 Hope the rolls turn out great for you and your family. Happy holidays!

Mary Ann Neary
    December 22, 2012 at 1:21 pm

This recipe WORKS !

I made these this afternoon to practice up for Christmas Eve dinner. If I am going to eat all of those calories it has to be really, really good. These rolls make the grade. Plus… So quick and easy. 1,000 thank yous!

Wendy
    December 29, 2012 at 7:50 am

This is my ALL TIME favorite recipe find!! This recipe is unbelievably quick and easy, YUMMY and VERY versatile!! Not only have a made rolls but I’ve also made mini loaves of bread, bread sticks, hamburger/hotdog buns and the best cinnamon rolls ALL FROM THIS ONE RECIPE. Thanks!!

December 29, 2012 at 6:53 pm

can’t look at the crescent and craked wheat rolls – says the site has changed

Kay
    January 6, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I made these tonight for a family dinner. I have never made rolls before! So easy! They were delicious. Thank you for ALL of your amazing recipes and step by step directions. : )

Alicia
    January 11, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Found this on Pinterest and just wanted to stop by and say how delicious and easy this recipe was! I was very hesitant about not letting them rise long enough, but they came out perfect. Thank you so much for this recipe and looking forward to checking out the rest of your site 🙂

February 7, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Joe,I am a fan, not a sheep. The guy in charge hasn’t done a hkcvuea lot to earn my blind trust the last several years. Sorry. I’m no head coach, but I watch the division get stronger and the team stay put and it frustrates me. Hoping for a playoff team is all I ever do and this doesn’t look like one to me.Incidentally, I watched every single snap the other night. You can say everything is hunky dory and put all your faith in Big Red’s “amazing” coaching ability to lead us home or you can spot the good and the bad and pray the former outshines the latter. I’m going with option 2.Bumble

Katrina
    January 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Hi Jamie~love your site! I refer to it often for meal ideas. Everything I try has been a success!! These rolls are in my oven right now. When I put them in the oven I looked at my pan and your picture and they looked the same. I am hoping that when I pull them out of the oven in 15 minutes that they will look like your end result! I am wondering if you have ever doubled the recipe and baked 2 pans at once?

Renee
    January 31, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I have been baking rolls for years and these are, by far, the BEST I have ever made. They turned out perfectly and my children told me that whenever I make these, to be sure and invite them for dinner. They were the “fluffiest” of any I have ever made. Thank you so much for sharing! I’m going to try and make cinnamon rolls with this recipe right now. I’m anxious to see how they turn out.

Guzel
    February 18, 2013 at 6:20 am

Hi
    You see I found this beautiful recipe on Pinterest but I don’t have cooking spray what other alternatives are there. Please reply ASAP.
    Thank you very much!

February 18, 2013 at 10:17 am

Hi Guzel,
      You can use a bit of butter to replace the cooking spray. Good luck!

allan
    February 21, 2013 at 2:46 am

hi, you say 170 degrees and 350degrees is this centigrade or fahrenheit

February 21, 2013 at 6:35 am

Hi Allen,
      The tempratures listed are in fahrenheit. Good luck!

February 21, 2013 at 2:54 am

hi, you say 170 and 350 degrees is this C or F

March 20, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Hello!!
    I tried a different recipe this morning and it sucked!!! I tried yours after and wow!!!! My stomach is telling me EAT THEM ALL NOW!!!!
    I have a question: my buns are harder on the top, instead of soft (like store bought buns). Is there a reason for that? I am mixing by hand if that makes a difference

Thanks!!

March 23, 2013 at 7:56 pm

My daughter wanted light, long bread rolls to ice (yes I know – bad dad). Formed your dough into three rolls and a loaf tin to be diverse. I brushed the loaf with butter before it went into the oven for a very soft crust and left it in the oven a bit longer (cooled oven to 150C) to ensure the dough was all cooked. Iced the cooled rolls with well forked 4oz sifted icing sugar + 1oz strawberry essence, refrigerated for 30 mins, and it was perfect.
    Left the loaf for an hour and it was perfect too.
    Can’t believe such good, quick egg bread was possible, and without strong flour!
    Thanks
    Mike

Leslie
    April 24, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I just have to say that I love these rolls. I taught my 10 year old daughter how to make them and she makes them at least once a week to compliment our dinner. Thank you!!

Rachael Smith
    May 4, 2013 at 6:15 am

Hands down best roll recipe I’ve made ever! Very, very good!

Rachael Smith
    May 4, 2013 at 6:38 am

Jamie, if you used this recipe for cinnamon rolls, at what point would you add the filling? Would you rise a first time? Thanks!

May 6, 2013 at 9:06 am

Rachel,
      You can use this recipe for cinnamon rolls, add the filling once the dough is mixed and has rested on your counter for about 5 minutes. I also have a great Cinnamon Roll recipe complete with photos if you would like to look there as well. Here is a link…
      Good luck!

Alicia
    May 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Hi Jamie! Have made this about a half dozen times and love it!

This may be a dumb question, but what if my oven is already on from previous baking? Do I need to cook it a little less or a little longer? Thanks!

Autumn
    May 10, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Jamie,
    I am trying this for the second time (first time I messed up and used margerine and they turned out dense and chewy). This time I used the butter 🙂 I have a question. It says rise in the oven for 20 minutes or until 1 inch above pan. I have had them in for 40 minutes and they are still not above the pan. but have risen to the top… am I doing it wrong?

May 13, 2013 at 6:59 am

Autumn,
      Perhaps you are using yeast that is old, maybe the temperature of your water and milk wasn’t hot enough, perhaps your oven temperature needs to be raised just a bit. Finding the right temperature is the key to having the yeast work and rise up properly. Hope they tasted good! Best of luck,

February 8, 2014 at 8:29 am

How old is Desi? and how is she otherwise, does she need the sleep. Amelia, (who is 13 mo now) woudln’t sleep or nap on her own for months. i can’t remember, when it slowed down, but even now she’ll sometimes wake herself up out of a sound sleep if she notices i’m not beside her. I just ended up laying with her, or holding her and resigning myself to it. she now takes one 2 hr nap and another ranging from 1/2 to 1.5 hrs. I have also heard rumours of babies who just don’t need much sleep

May 26, 2013 at 8:07 am

Hi!!!! I just tried this rolls today, and they turned out FANTASTIC!!!! This recipe ist the best!!!!! I am sooooo happy, because I was looking so much for a quick recipe to prepare for my children for breakfast, and this rolls are just amazing!!!!!
    Thank you soooooooo much!!!!
    greatings from Switzerland,
    Barbara

Teri
    July 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

I am sooo happy I found this recipe. Thank you for being specific about how much time the milk and butter need to be in the microwave and how hot the water should be. I have tried several recipes for bread, and I can never get them to rise after cutting and shaping. I have made these rolls 4 times over and have NEVER messed it up! I am going to use this recipe x 5 in my restaurant. Thanks a bunch!

Jo
    August 27, 2013 at 8:19 am

Hi Jamie

I just want to say this is PERFECT!!! It’s such a breeze and taste awesomely divine! Thanks so much for the detailed recipe and how-tos. It helped heaps! Best of all, the bread is ready in less than an hour tops! Gonna start trying with some fillings. Simply glorious!

TxJamie!

Jenny
    October 15, 2013 at 11:58 am

This recipe really delivered. Don’t have a mixer so kneaded and proved them the extra hour. They turned out extra fluffy and light. They freeze and defrost very well. However I found them a little too sweet – would it be possible to cut down on the 4T sugar in the recipe without changing the texture too much. thanks for any feedback

Barbi Jensen
    October 29, 2013 at 12:07 pm

These rolls are perfectly fluffy and delicious! thank you!