Grandma’s Thanksgiving Stuffing/Dressing

If you live in the Salt Lake Valley….
If you would like to support a wonderful cause….
Then, I would love to see you this Saturday at Lizzie’s Bake Sale!
Lizzie is a beautiful girl battling leukemia.
All money made from the bake sale will go to her family.
I would love to see you there!
For more details click here.

Now, for the recipe up for discussion today.
Tasty Holiday Stuffing.
Or should we call it
Tasty Holiday Dressing?
I guess it would all depend on how you prefer this holiday standard.
I myself, prefer the texture of dressing as opposed to stuffing.
I’m not much of a fan for soggy.
Don’t really like soggy anything actually.
Soggy cereal?
Soggy waffles?
Soggy socks?
Of course not.

This recipe comes from my mother in law. It has a wonderful flavor. She always stuffs it in the good old bird.
And it tastes good.
Really good, don’t get me wrong.
But I wondered how it would turn out if I made a few changes,
and baked it in the oven separate from the bird.
(Less sog, however I do like fog…
pretty cozy stuff, that fog.)

The Dressing turned out really well!
I was very pleased to say the least.
It had all of the great flavor we love, with an improved texture.
However,
I cannot tell a lie.
My kids did think it was strange when
I served it with White Chicken Chili.
All I could say was…
“Hey, we are running a food blog here.”
and
“Hey, no one wants to read a
Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe
on Black Friday.”
and
“Hey, be grateful for our bounty.
There are worse things than eating this fabulous
Thanksgiving Stuffing/Dressing with
White Chicken Chili.
How about soggy cereal and waffles with soggysock delight for dessert? How would you all enjoy that? Hm?”

Grandma’s Thanksgiving Stuffing/Dressing
Time: Prep 1 hour + 35 minutes baking time
Yield: 15 generous servings (you could easily half the recipe)
Recipe adapted from Jill Eskelson
***NOTE: If you would prefer to stuff your bird with this yummy recipe, make the following alterations. Don’t brown the sausage, saute the veggies, or toast the bread. Omit the broth and the final 1/2 C of butter.***
2 loaves french bread (I used a full batch, three small loaves of my homemade French Bread )
1/2 C butter, melted
1 pound ground sausage
9 sticks celery
3 onions
3 T butter
1 T celery salt
1 T poultry seasoning
1 t sage
4 eggs, beaten
2 C chicken broth
1/2 C  butter, melted

1. Slice your bread up into little pieces. Pour them out onto two large baking sheets.

2.Pour 1/2 C melted butter over the tops of the cubes. Use your hands to mix it all around so all of the cubes are evenly coated.

3. Toast you bread up by baking it in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Stir the cubes about every 10 minutes.

4. While your bread is toasting, brown up your sausage.

5. Chop up your celery and onions. Melt 3 T butter in a large skillet. Add your veggies and saute until the onions are transparent and the celery is crisp tender.
6. In a large….and I mean large… mixing bowl combine all ingredients but the eggs. Mix well. Add the eggs and stir all around until well combined. You don’t want any of the beaten eggs just hanging around in your stuffing un-mixed. Then you will have ScrambledEggDressingDelight. That might even be worst than soggy socks. Get them all mixed in, ok?
7. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Pour your dressing into the pan and cover it tightly with tin foil.
8. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Serve hot from the oven.

November 19, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Jamie. This sounds delicious! Can you make it ahead of time and bake it on Thanksgiving Day? I'm trying to find things I can do before the 'big day', so the day's not so BIG!!!

Thanks!!

November 20, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Anonymous,
    If I were to make it ahead, I would toast the bread, saute the veggies, brown the sausage and store them separately until the morning of. Then mix all of the ingredients together and you will be good to go. Good luck. Hope you love it!

November 17, 2011 at 6:03 am

Jamie, Maybe it's because I am from the Mid-West, but I have never put eggs in my dressing…I do prefer stuffing, but mine isn't soggy- but I digress. I am working this Thanksgiving and the nurses have requested I bring dressing-not stuffing because I will not be making the bird and therefore will have nothing to stuff…My question- what would happen if I made your dressing, left out the eggs and used more broth? Think it would work? Thanks, Linda

November 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Linda,
    I'm not sure if it would bind together very well without the eggs, however I think the taste would still be great. I would give it try, the extra broth would add moisture. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Meghan
    March 23, 2013 at 11:24 am

Hi Jamie! Love your blog!

What kind of sausage do you use for this dressing?

March 27, 2013 at 6:50 am

Hi Megan,
      I just used regular, bulk, Jimmy Dean Sausage. Good luck!

February 7, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I’m in love with this outfit, and adore this woman’s style. I don’t have that at 47 yrs. old, but I try. She inprises me. I love your blog,…and rush to it daily and have to just give you a big “Thank You” for the inspiration and ideas.

November 20, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I’ve never used sausage. could I use turkey giblets, chicken & chicken broth?

November 21, 2013 at 6:23 am

Tana,
      The sausage really adds a lot of flavor. I would stick with it. :) Good luck, and have a great holiday!

Jolene
    November 21, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Jamie-
    I’ve been following your blog for years. I love your recipes. I’ve used this recipe for the past two Thanksgiving and will use it again this year. Your blog is one of my go to recipe blogs. Thanks for all your amazing recipes.

Shanda Sleater
    November 21, 2013 at 4:51 pm

You listed 1/2 cup butter twice on the recipe… is the first 1/2 cup to toast the bread and the 2nd 1/2 cup part of what give the bread the moisture later on when you’re mixing it all together? Just wanted to make sure I had it right and it wasn’t a typo… thanks!