Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas with Creamy Chipotle Dip

Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas with Creamy Chipotle Dip

Hello all you January lovers out there!

I have a little question I would like to propose on this very cold January day. What do you suppose Snowboots, Swimsuits and Losers have to do with each other? Hmmm. Think it over now.
Any ideas? Well. I suppose I’ll just have to tell you how all three appeared in my life right at the same moment.
Last week MyHandsomeHusband and I were traveling to Bear Lake with all five of our children in tow. The weather was pretty clear here in town when we left home. By the time we got to Logan Canyon (4 hours later…usually takes 1 1/2) it was a dark, stormy, cars sliding off the side of the road, windy blizzard. We cut our losses and opted to check into a hotel in Logan and wait out the storm. Driving through a canyon in a blizzard is one thing….doing it in the dark is just down right foolish.
Now what do a couple of ya-hoo’s with 5 kids do in a hotel? They swim, that’s what. Swim. And Sleep. They swim until all of the children are tired enough to sleep soundly, soundly, soundly. We counted our lucky stars that we had packed our suits! All seven of us squeezed our holiday bodies into our suits (we looked really good….really skinny and good) and we were ready to swim. Looking like a bunch of dainty swim suit models we each proceeded to pull on a pair of heavy winter boots. Then we traipsed our fashionable selves through the snowy parking lot to the pool. Now I’m not sure if you have ever tried wearing your swimming suit with heavy winter boots…but suffice it to say it is One. Classy. Ensemble. I dare say the ladies from Desperate Housewives could take a fashion lesson from none other than yours truly. Ok….in all actuality we looked like a bunch of losers. Big (and some of us really fat) Losers. The funny part was when we got to the pool….we met a real life loser. The kind of Loser that is really hip these days. Someone who, in fact is hoping to be the biggest kind of loser there is.

While swimming that snowy night we had the privilege of meeting Justin Pope, contestant on this seasons Biggest Loser. He happened to be from Logan and was on a 2 week break from the show to visit with his family. MyHandsomeHusband and I have watched almost every season of the show and were thrilled to be able to visit with someone who is right in the middle of the experience. He and his family were gracious and lovely people. We chatted with them for almost 2 hours. Loved it. Loved hearing little inside tidbits about the show. I won’t tell any of his detailed secrets…but he did look pretty darn good. Last night our family had a great time watching the season premier of The Biggest Loser, and witnessing the transformation he has already made.

Good times.

Good times wearing Snowboots and my Swimsuit….and meeting a great Loser.

Do you need a quick and easy meal idea after reading
that long story? I bet you do!
These Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas are a snap to put together and put a smile on every face that lives under this roof.
Hope you get the same reaction!
Don’t skip the yummy dipping sauce.
(It’s the best part!)

Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas

Time: 20 minutes hands on + 4-5 hours crock pot cooking
Yield: 8-10 Quesadillas
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
4 large chicken breasts
1 1/2 C water
1 T canola oil
1 envelope Fajita Seasoning Packet
1 can black beans
1 C corn
1-2 C Cheddar Cheese
8-10 flour tortillas
1. Place your chicken breasts inside a crock pot that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
2. Mix the water, oil and the Fajita Mix. Pour it over the top of the chicken. Cover with the lid and cook for 4 hours on high.
3. When the chicken is cooked through remove it from the crock, placing it on a plate. Shred it up with a fork.
4. Put it back in the juices of the crock pot and let it simmer for 1 more hour.

5. Heat up a skillet. Spray it with cooking spray (or butter it….depending on how closely you are counting calories). Lay a tortilla out on the skillet. Cover just half of the tortilla with some chicken, black beans, corn and cheese. Cover the yummy filling up with the other half of the tortilla. Heat until the cheese has started to melt. Flip it over and to let the other side of the tortilla get crispy, and to melt the cheese fully.
 Creamy Chipotle Dip
Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 cup
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1/3 C Chipotle Mayo
1/3 C Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
1/3 C Sour Cream
2 T sugar
1 T lime juice
2 T cilantro, chopped fine
dash salt

1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
The end. Fastest dipping sauce this side of  The Biggest Loser.

January 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm

When I was younger, my cousins and I went into my aunt's hot tub and then decided it would be fun to make snow angels in the 3.5+' of snow outside. Oh how I wish I had snowboots, but I'm pretty sure we still looked like big losers! Love your story, and glad you all had a great time! The quesadillas look awesome, I always forget how easy they are for dinner and how satisfying they can be!

January 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I am a quesadilla addict – and of course you can't skip the dipping sauce! It sounds like you had fun, even though plans didn't go as planned. :)

January 7, 2011 at 9:26 pm

K, that story totally made me laugh! I can just see you all in your boots and swim gear, haha. That's awesome. And how cool that you got to meet Justin Pope! I love BL, we watch it too (usually while eating ice cream, lol). Love the recipe too- all of my favorite flavors!

January 7, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Jamie these sound so good. I am new to your blog and spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll be back. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

January 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm

mmm, those look good. And I loved the story. Nothing like changing your plans in the middle of a trip. And I love the biggest loser. Fun you got to met him and talk too.

January 8, 2011 at 3:51 am

Hello,
    Just wanted to let you know that I have awarded you with an award because I love your blog. Please stop by and check it out.

Thanks and God Bless
    Lianne

January 9, 2011 at 4:02 am

I love your blog…you are sooo much fun and I love all your recipes….I think I am doing this for tomorrow!! Thanks tonz!!

January 13, 2011 at 4:26 am

This says full flavor and good eating. What is better than that? Would you link it to Let's Do Brunch?

January 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm

My family and I loved,loved these quesadillas(said with american accent) Thank you for you recipes and keep posting.

January 27, 2011 at 2:39 am

This is a SUPER delicious meal! Easy too!! (which I partically like, because I'm pregnant)
    Thanks for posting such great recipes, you are a life saver! :)

Tracy Mills
    December 9, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I just found your blog today. Aside from the fantastic recipes I hope to make soon, you are super funny. You have made my morning with your stories.
    Thanks so much!

Christina
    February 14, 2012 at 12:25 am

My best friend (who lives near you) has turned me on to your website. Love it! I'm already printing off recipes to try that she has raved about! I'd love to try this quesadilla recipe (LOVE anything with tortillas and cheese!). I only have taco seasoning on hand…would that work instead of fajita seasoning? Thanks!

February 14, 2012 at 4:48 am

Hi Christina,
      Taco seasoning would work out great. Good luck! Hope you love it.

April 1, 2012 at 2:45 am

I was wondering if you heat the corn and beans op by themselves?

April 3, 2012 at 4:14 am

No need to heat them separately. Just toss them into the tortilla once it's on the griddle and they will heat up with the cheese. Good luck!

November 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I love this recipe! Love mexican recipes ( and in the crockpot even better! )

Your story made me smile.. =)

Jessica
    May 19, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Just made this tonight. Yummy! I only had taco seasoning, and used 2 large breasts since that’s all I had. But it turned out amazing, and I was so surprised by how much chicken I ended up with! My family loved it. My 3 yr old little boy even told me as he was eating, “Mom, I need TWO quesadillas!” Thanks, this one’s a keeper!

Sarah Slater
    October 15, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Delicious! I only had frozen chicken strips and oh my it was still perfect!

Erika Skipper
    November 12, 2013 at 6:12 am

My family isn’t a fan of miracle whip. Could I substitute mayo instead of miracle whip?

November 12, 2013 at 6:44 am

Erika,
      Yes, mayo would work for you. Good luck!