Coconut Caramel Cake

Coconut Caramel Cake

Just the other day I found myself stromping along on my treadmill.
It’s really old, and kind of broken and will only work if I run it at an incline of 10.
The incline thing can be a positive or a negative, can’t it?
While I was very slowly climbing treadmill hills I happened to be reading my Taste of Home magazine.
Because I have heard that if you keep your mind busy reading about food while you work out,
your mind tells your body to burn  more calories….
because you are salivating…
and dreaming about food…
and imagining when you can eat it…
and that must make some kind of ruckus or something…
and I figure why not make a mental calorie burning  ruckus while I’m slowly climbing treadmill hills.
This very recipe for Coconut Caramel Cake was found when I was in such a state. Or, should I say I was
inclined
to
find
it.
Help me Rhonda.
This cake is down right, scrumptious, gooey, caramely, full of rich flavor, perfect for a pot luck, or a picnic, or just to lick, or to like or to love and most definitely to enjoy.
Make it.
Take it.
Love it.
Then….
Incline your treadmill and climb it off…..

Coconut Caramel Cake
1/4 C butter
Frosting:
1 1/2 C packed brown sugar
3/4 C butter, melted
1/2 C half and half
2 C flaked coconut
1. In a medium sized mixing bowl, or in your stand mixer beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla for 4 minutes. It will thicken up a bit while you mix.
2. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add it to the buttery egg combo and mix just until combined.
It should look like this pretty combination.

3. In a sauce pan bring the milk and butter to a boil, stirring constantly.

4. Pour it into your batter. Beat until well combined.
5. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan.
6. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
7. While the cake bakes, mix all frosting ingredients together.
8. When the cake is done remove it from the oven and turn the oven to broil. Pour the ooey-gooey frosting over the top of the warm cake. Spread it around carefully with a knife.
9. Return the cake to the oven and let the frosting become browned. Be careful here, my friends. It can burn ever so quickly. It only needs to broil for about 3-4 minutes.
Enjoy it warm. Oh, how you will enjoy it if you eat it warm…!

Or enjoy it the next day as a delectable delight. How ever you determine to eat it….I do believe you will find yourself full of enjoyment.

February 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

This looks seriously delicious!

February 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm

This looks absolutely amazing, and I love Taste of Home recipes. You know the recipes are all TNT.
    What a cute story about the treadmill…that sounds like something I would do….
    I am definitely going to try this.

February 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Amazing! It reminds me of the german chocolate cake I just made with all that gooey goodness. I watch Food Network when I climb on our elliptical at home. It definitely helps me go longer. You go Jamie!

February 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm

It's taking all I have not to jump up and make this now. I will reserve this recipe for later. Thanks!

P.S. I chuckled when you wrote that your treadmill is stuck at the incline of 10. Wow.

February 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Oh, wow this looks amazing! thanks!

February 18, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Coconut is my favorite! That cake looks delicious. It almost makes me want to hop on the treadmill and burn a few calories (so I can eat an extra piece of cake!).

February 19, 2011 at 3:57 am

I ended up making (a halved portion of) this cake anyway. I used oatmeal in place of coconut because I didn't have any of the latter. The cake turned out pretty well. If I ever make this again, I will poke holes through the cake before pouring the frosting so that it can be frosted-infused cake. YUM! Thanks for the recipe.

February 22, 2011 at 2:30 am

I made this and the family loves it!! Thank you!!!

Amy
    June 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I just made this and I'm letting it cool just a bit before we cut into it…but I am very excited because it came out looking exactly like your pictures (that rarely ever happens)! Thanks ;)

June 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm

A friend referred to this link on her blog. You are adorable and hilariously funny. The cake looks incredible and I'm making it tonight for sure! Thanks for sharing!!

November 18, 2011 at 3:01 am

Just made this and ate a piece. It tastes even better than it looks (if that's possible!) So moist and outstanding. Thank you for the recipe. It is surely a keeper!

February 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I cant wait to try this…two of my favorite things…caramel & coconut…how could I go wrong!

February 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I just made this cake and it is delicious. I mean delicious doesn't even describe it it is soooooo good. Thanks for the recipe.

March 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm

For the frosting..what is a 1/2 cup of half and half??? Thanks:)

March 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Anonymous,
      Half and Half is a dairy product you can buy that consists of half whipping cream and half milk. Look for it with the other milk products. Good luck to you!

March 20, 2012 at 5:44 pm

SallySewSimple :can't wait to try it. Gonna have to get a treadmill though. Thanks for being there for us lazy people. You give us inspiration, yes you do!

March 30, 2012 at 12:41 am

Well, we tried this cake warm the day it was made, and it was good. BUT, the next day it was even better! We preferred it the next day, the flavors in the topping melded better and it was yummy.

Heather
    March 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm

JAMIE! I want to add some rum to the frosting… How would you do it? Also, is the coconut sweetened or not? THANK YOU!!

March 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Hi Heather,
      I haven't ever cooked with rum, so I can't help you there. The coconut is sweetened. Good luck!

May 23, 2012 at 12:07 am

I've made this 3 times since finding it on Pinterest. It is my very favorite dessert right now! When I make it, I add chopped pecans or walnuts to the topping, as well. So good! Also, if you don't happen to have half ~n~ half, I've used 2% milk instead, with very good results. Thanks so much for this recipe!

Lindsay
    May 23, 2012 at 3:40 am

Why do my cupcakes sink in the middle? Could it be because I use all purpose whole wheat flour?

May 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I haven't ever tried this recipe as cupcakes, or with wheat flour, so I'm not exactly sure of the cause for your trouble. However, you may not be cooking them long enough. That's usually the cause of having cupcakes fall in the center. Better luck next time. :)

Lindsay
      May 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Wow I meant to put this comment on the coconut cream cupcakes! Hahah oops! :)

Shelley
    September 20, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I have made this cake and it’s AMAZING!! One of my dads childhood favorites, only he’s always called it “lazy daisy” cake. I packed away all of my TOH issues when we moved and lost track of them. Thank you so much for posting this!! :)

Krista
    May 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Seriously, you should look into being a comedienne by night….because Heaven knows we can’t have you quitting your day job of being the top-notch chef and blogger that you are. I don’t use anyone’s recipes as often as I do yours, and honestly truly, your chicken teriyaki recipe is the best one in the WHOLE. WIDE. WORLD. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Are there any other dinner recipes as good as that one? I mean, I know all of your food is good, but really!? Can anything top the teriyaki!? Thanks for your delightful recipes and your entertaining humor! You rock!!!

Heather
    February 18, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I was wondering if this cake could be made in two 8″ rounds and then stacked.