Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes and Three Winners

Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes and Three Winners

Happy Wednesday everyone!
I have a great classic recipe for you today,
along with the announcement of a few lucky winners.

The winners of the My Southern Food cookbook are
Butter Yum
Jessica Collins
and
Kim McCann

I will be contacting you shortly to gather up your addresses.

Congratulations and thanks so much for entering, everyone!
I loved reading your comments about comfort food.
Up today, front and center is a wonderfully tasty recipe for Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes. I found this little treasure at Mels Kitchen Cafe.
She’s a good one, that girl. Her site is chuck full of fabulous recipes.
This particular version of Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes can be put together fairly quickly as it doesn’t require making a cheesy sauce. Rather the cheese is tossed with a little bit of cornstarch and then layered with potatoes. A mixture of broth and half and half is then poured over everything and vwalla….delicious,
Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes.
This yummy dish gets consumed VERY quickly around here
and is perfect served with Grandpa Marks Meatloaf
Hope you love it…
Hope you have a great day…
and thanks so much for stopping by!
Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
Time: 20 minutes prep + 80 minutes to bake
Recipe adapted from Mels Kitchen Cafe
2 1/2 C sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 C Parmesan cheese, grated
2 t cornstarch
5 large russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
salt and pepper
3/4 C half and half
1/2 C chicken broth

1. Peel your potatoes and slice them as thin as you can. You need them to be about 1/8 of an inch thick.
2. Spray a 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Layer half of the potatoes evenly over the bottom.
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

4. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the cheeses and the cornstarch. Just toss them around with your fingers to get them all combined. Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture over the potatoes.

4. Layer the rest of the potatoes over the cheese and sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large measuring cup combine the half and half and the chicken broth. Pour it over the potatoes.

5. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove your cover and bake for the remaining 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.

Enjoy!

March 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm

My husband LOVES these potatoes. I will have to make them soon. Thanks!

March 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Cheese and potatoes! Yum!! Definitely making these tonight.

Congrats to the cookbook winners!

March 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Congrats to the winners.

I love au gratin taters, so decadent and good. Put some fresh herbs on top and I am in LOVE.

March 30, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Shut the front door! Are you serious! Not only do I NEVER win ANYTHING, but I have been on the hunt for a good Au Gratin potato recipe…seriously, I even googled it and came up with nothing. You are the best Jamie! I told my husband I saw you the other day and he wondered if I got your autograph…or at least a picture with you. I explained that neither one of us was “camera ready” and that I actually HAVE had my picture taken with you. :) So, if you don't mind signing that cookbook that would be lovely. Ha ha. :)

March 30, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I have sort of a strange question. I frequently want to make things for dinner that all have to be baked (i.e. meatloaf and cheesy au gratin potatoes) but I only have one oven. Some things with short baking times I can stagger…but not always. So my question is, is it ever possible to bake 2 things at once? Especially if the two dishes are small (there are only 2 adults & 1 baby in this family) and don't take up the whole oven? Could I bake a small version of the meatloaf and potatoes and bake them together? Thanks for your help. I love ALL your recipes!

March 31, 2011 at 1:16 am

Love your step-by-step photos! And I'm happy you like this dish – it is so classic. It is made and devoured often around these parts, too!

March 31, 2011 at 2:01 am

I found your blog recently and am loving it! I noticed that the recipe above didn't have a temperature listed to cook the potatoes. I'm guessing it's 350 degrees? I jumped over to Mel's Kitchen Cafe and that's the temp. she cooked them at. Thanks for the great recipes!

March 31, 2011 at 2:09 am

YAY!!! I am so excited! I can't wait to get the book! Thank you so much Jamie!!!

Also this recipe looks fabulous!!! I will be trying it for sure! Thank you again!

March 31, 2011 at 3:28 am

Megan,
    Your question is not strange at all! And you will be pleased that the answer is most definitely yes. I cooked both the Meatloaf and the Au Gratin Potatoes at the same time in my oven, side by side. You need to be a little more cautious if you put one on top rack and one on the lower. They would need to switch places half way through the cooking time. Hope you try both the recipes and they turn out well for you and your family.

Anonymous,
    Thanks for the tip about the cooking temperature. It is 350 degrees as you saw on Melanie's site. I always appreciate a heads up when there is something missing in a post. Thanks for taking the time to tell me.

Have a good night!

March 31, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Whoohoo!! – Thank you so much, Jamie! I'm really eager to get this book. I can't wait to start cooking from it!

ButterYum

April 6, 2011 at 11:05 am

Made this recipe last night.
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD
    thanks for sharing.

Sherry

April 2, 2012 at 5:28 pm

This recipe looks very good! just printed it.. =)

Could this be made in the crockpot..what directions would need to be changed?

Thanks!

April 3, 2012 at 4:04 am

Hi Melissa Bo,
      Thanks for your question. I haven't ever had good luck with recipes like this (a lot of cheese and milk) in the crock pot. The cheese kind of gets curdled and gross. Bummer, isn't it. I would say stick with the oven on this one.
      Good luck!

Eloise
    September 3, 2012 at 3:24 am

made these many times, they are sooo yummy. Except that i think Mel uses heavy cream, instead of half and half. maybe i will try it with half and half.

J
    April 28, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I made the Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes for Easter, but my potatoes turned out runny ~ Not sure what happened, but wondering what I could do to avoid this next time? Thanks!

lizzy
    May 6, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I was wondering can I us milk instead of half and half?

Lizzy