Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream Pie

Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream Pie

This past week was my daughter BlondeEmily’s birthday.
Her birthday cake request was made as follows…
“Make that yummy,
chocolaty,
fudge-ey
 ice cream pie
 like Aunt Mary makes,
 ok Mom?”

You betcha, I thought.
That is one easy pie!
Easy is something to be grateful for, isn’t it?
Now don’t get me wrong, I love making big fancy cakes and all
(stay tuned for a pretty, ruffly number I have been working on..)
But sometimes the word EASY just gives a
little bit of comfort to this old girl. Not in a cheap and floozy kind of way.
Just in a
…get this party started…
…easy dessert of wonder…
…mama’s bringin’ it to the part-ae….
kind of way.

Last time I checked you all enjoyed that kind of thing as well.
Good pick, Emily!

Let’s give a quiet “Hurrah!” for Easy.
If you want to cheer out loudly
“Hip Hip Hooray. I am in LOVE with Easy!”
…be my guest!

Just please don’t hold me accountable for any strange looks
you might get from your co-workers, or your children, or your dog.
I wouldn’t want to embarrass you in front of your dog now.
Sheesh! Your Dog’s opinion is, after all…
extremely important.

Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream Pie
Time: 15 minutes prep + 4 hours to freeze
Yield: 1 nine inch pie
Recipe adapted from Mary Erhart
45 Oreo Cookies (about three sleeves)
4 T melted butter
1 half gallon Cookies and Cream Ice Cream, softened
1 C hot fudge
1/2 an 8 oz container Cool Whip
Mini Chocolate Chips (optional)

***Note: You’ll want to let your ice cream hang out on the counter for about 15 minutes before making the pie.
Thank you very much. End of note***
1. Put 30 of your Oreo Cookies in a small food processor. Grind them up into fine crumbs and pour them into a small mixing bowl.
2. Pour the melted butter into the crumbs and stir to combine.
3. Press the crumbs into a Deep 9 inch pie plate. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press the crumbs evenly into the pie plate.
4. Put the remaining Oreo Cookies into the food processor. Grind them just for a few seconds. You just want them to be coarsely chopped here, not smashed to smithereens. Unless you like crumbs in your ice cream. If so, be my guest. Smash the heck out of them.
5. Scoop your softened ice cream into a large mixing bowl. Add your chopped (or smashed to smithereens) Oreos to the ice cream and fold them in.
6. Spread the ice cream out evenly over your tasty crust.
7. Carefully spoon the hot fudge onto the ice cream and spread it around. Yum. Why isn’t there any of this pie left in my freezer!? Darn kids. Ate every last crumb in 24 hours.

8. Spread the cool whip on over the top of the fudge.
9. Wrap that bad boy up with some plastic wrap and get it into the freezer. Let it remain there for at least 4 hours.
10. Take the pie out of the freezer about 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips, if you so desire. Then….slice it up….serve it up…put your feet up….and enjoy! You deserve it!

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap   up           party!

April 6, 2011 at 8:10 pm

YUMMY! I know what I'm making for hubby's b-day this year! Thanks so much for sharing.

April 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I just stumbled(stalked) onto your blog… LOVE IT.. where have you been all my bloglife? :)
    Thanks for the great recipes, was looking for an EASY birthday treat..(love your notes too)
    wanna spread some love, but easy is a great sidebar :)

April 6, 2011 at 8:20 pm

oh my drooling into my keyboard! Looks like a perfect summer dessert, thanks for sharing!

April 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm

My hips thank you. ;) I was just trying to think of what kind of ice cream to make next and now I know…cookies and cream! Now if I can just manage to sneak a couple package of Oreos into the house without them being seen so they aren't gobbled up before they make it to the ice cream and pie!

Hip hip hooray!!

April 6, 2011 at 9:17 pm

This looks so good. I am going to have to give it a try. Love your site. Keep up the good work

April 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Oh my does this look to good for words!

April 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Mmmm I am going to be making this for sure!!!

April 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm

It looks beautiful Jamie. I hope she had a wonderful birthday. Where did you get that cake stand. I love it!

April 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Hi there Tina,
    I got the cake stand at Target in the fall. Don't know if they still have them, but it was pretty cheap. Around $12 I want to say. Hope you are enjoying your new house, Tina! Have a great day.

April 9, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I was wondering if the cool whip sticks to the plasitc wrap? How do you get that to not be a disaster when you take off the plastic wrap? Looks wonderful!!!

Morgan

April 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm

This look so good and I can't wait to make it.
    I shared this recipe on today's post of Must Try Tuesday….

Thanks for sharing!

March 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Where do you find the hot fudge?

March 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I purchased it at Smiths, or Walmart. Not sure which one, but I do the bulk of my shopping at those two stores. Good luck!