Chocolate Hot Fudge Cake

Chocolate Hot Fudge Cake

Hello there!
Nice to see you again.
Thanks so much for taking time
out of your day to hang out here with
me
and
this
CHOCOLATE HOT FUDGE CAKE.
It’s a simple recipe, really.
You most likely have all of the ingredients
to make this in your pantry.

Hot dog!
or
Hot fudge, actually.
This is the kind of recipe busy folks love.
Throw some ingredients together…
Bake it for a bit…
And magically you will have a chewy brownie like cake, with a smooth layer of hot fudge running around underneath it.

Seriously.
It’s going to happen.
Serve it warm from the oven with a dollop of ice cream,
and you and your family are going to be in a happy place.
Having a happy family is good!
Just take my word for it…

Happy kids are just so much more pleasant than kids who
argue
and whine,
or say “Noooooooo, I don’t want tooooooooo”.
I hate “no”.
Who invented it, any way?

Kids who think a Walmart shopping cart is a jungle gym aren’t really that pleasant either. Especially when the shopping cart (heavy laden with groceries) starts to tip over. Not my favorite kind of thing.
Speaking of Walmart…just a little tip for you.
Don’t take 4 year old twin boys there if they have
little bouncy balls in their pockets.
Bouncy balls roll and bounce, you know.
All over tarnation.
Walmart has tarnation pretty much covered.
To a boy with a bouncy ball, the place is a haven.
Shopping cart jungle gym + bouncy ball haven =
One tired out Mama.
Pretty sure I’ve burned enough calories during my
chase bouncy balls/keep the cart from falling over shopping trip to earn myself a nice serving of this Chocolate Hot Fudge Cake….
Care to join me?
The little rascals have been put to bed….
What a happy time.

I would be ashamed if I didn’t tell you….
that I really like these boys.
They are pretty darn sweet.
Most of the time.

1/2 C evaporated milk
2 T canola oil
1 t vanilla
1 C packed brown sugar
1 1/3 C hot water
Ice Cream

1. Pour your flour into a large mixing bowl.
Add your sugar
and 2 T of the cocoa powder. (Save the rest for later on in the game, folks.)
Toss your baking powder
and salt into the bowl.
Stir it all up with a wooden spoon.
2. Pour in your melted butter
evaporated milk
Canola oil
and vanilla.  Give everything a nice stirring. All ingredients should be well incorporated.
3. Spread the batter into a 9×9 inch pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
4. In a separate bowl combine your packed brown sugar
and 4 T of cocoa powder.
Whisk it all up together. If you have a few clumps of brown sugar that don’t want to cooperate…don’t dismay. A few brown sugar clumps are acceptable. What a relief.
5. Sprinkle the brown sugar/cocoa mixture onto the cake batter.
6. Pour your hot water right over the top of the whole lot.
DON’T STIR IT!!! I’m not kidding here. That water is going to make it’s way to the bottom of the pan and turn into itself into luscious hot fudge. Yes. It is amazing. I totally agree.
7. Bake the whole confection at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy!

May 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm

darnit! I don't have evaporated milk :(

Sounds really delicious too!

May 18, 2011 at 8:51 pm

this looks AMAZING! I have everything I need for it, maybe I should surprise the hubby. :) thanks for this awesome recipe. I showed my mom and sister your blog and they fell in love.

May 18, 2011 at 9:20 pm

That picture of you with your boys is TOO CUTE! I also love this dessert. My mom made it all the time for me growing up. We call it hot fudge pudding.

May 18, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I love little boys and the do love their bouncy balls. Those pictures are so sweet, especially the ones of you and them. So darn handsome in their dressy clothes. Oh before I forget the cake looks divine. We call it chocolate cobbler. Isn't it funny all these names for the same dessert.

May 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm

me either can we use regular milk?

May 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Oh bless you Jamie. Bless you.

May 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Yum, Yum, and Yum!

Oh and those cute boys…adorable! ;)

May 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Yum, Yum, and Yum!

Oh and those cute boys…adorable! ;)

May 18, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Hi Jamie,
    I have identical twin girls that are 9 and every day I have an experience like the Walmart one you described…. I have to separate them at least once a day for them to get anything done! So I empathize with you on the twin little boys thing, but I believe only special moms get sent twins. And by special, I mean moms that need to be given a challenge that they sometimes think they will never overcome.
    I've been using your blog a lot lately and have yet to make something I didn't love. Thanks for the great stories – they help me through my day!

May 19, 2011 at 2:44 am

I think kids of any gender would be a handful with bouncy balls in a big place like Wal-Mart haha. What an experience I bet that is! Your sons are too cute for words!

This cake looks amazing. I have everything but the evaporated milk. DARN!

May 19, 2011 at 2:54 am

oh wooow. this looks heavenly. I must try this. :) and share with others….so they can enjoy hot fudge chocolate cake goodness!! thanks for posting!! love your recipes!–Em

May 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Hello all,
    Canned milk….it really is a must here. I have made the recipe several times with regular milk and it just isn't as good. The canned milk adds that “WOW” factor. It gives a richness that regular milk lacks. Good luck everyone! Thanks for the nice compliments on the pictures of my boys. Have a great day everyone!

May 19, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I went to an emergency preparedness fair a couple weeks ago and they gave a recipe to make your own evaporated milk using powdered milk.

1 cup hot water
    1/2 tsp. oil (opt)
    1/2 tsp. honey (opt)
    1/4 cup non-instant (LDS cannery) or 1/2 cup instant powdered milk

Combine and stir until smooth.
    Hope somebody can be helped by this!

May 20, 2011 at 1:01 am

Those two little rascals bring back many mommy memories for me. My 2 boys are grown now, but just yesterday they were that size. Yesterday, I tell you! Love the recipe. Anxious to give it try.

May 20, 2011 at 3:32 am

What a great picture of you and your handsome little rascals. Congrats for stopping the cart from tipping. I've had one tip all the way over at Old Navy before with only one little rascal doing the tipping!

May 21, 2011 at 2:02 am

I love to bake! I use “Xocai Healthy Chocolate” in my recipes that call for “Chocolate chips.”
    Xocai is full of “heart healthy antioxidants” and can actually help me “lose a few pounds,” which is something that comes in handy when I am a full fledged “chocoholic!”

~Adam Paul Green

Liz M
    May 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Oh my goodness!! I made this last night and the empty dish.. completely scraped clean… almost licked clean dish speaks of it's utter yumminess!! Completely decadent! Thanks so much for sharing! *I used black onyx cocoa powder, so that may have increased the decadence a bit! :)

May 25, 2011 at 1:28 am

Hi! This looks like a fabulous recipe. I shared it on my Must Try Tuesday post today.

Thanks!

Wende

February 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Cuuuuute Boys!

Kimberly H
    July 16, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I can’t wait to make this. I do have a question though…I’m going to have to make it a couple of hours earlier than I’m going to serve it. Do you think the hot fudge will stay fudg-y or do you think it will thicken/harden into the cake?

July 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Hi Kimberly,
      I think the fudge will stay fudg-y. Good luck! Let me know if you try it and how it goes!

February 8, 2014 at 1:45 am

Funny – just came back from my first run this year too. And it feels great – I agree. Though a bit sore as well :-) . And I am happy for you that things seem to go well even dtpeise your illness. Love from Switzerland, Annemarie