Fresh Strawberry Pie

Fresh Strawberry Pie

Nothing says spring like fresh strawberries, does it?
Ok..maybe tulips, and asparagus and the Easter bunny.
But fresh strawberries certainly have their place, now don’t they.
And Fresh Strawberry Pie….
oh heavenly dessert of wonder and bliss!
It is.
Just that.
Heavenly Bliss.
(If you hate strawberries…shame on you…..please disregard this post.)
I have made this pie twice in the past few weeks.
Because….
I love it.
And I think you will love it, too.
And it’s spring and there are
fresh strawberries everywhere you look!
And
I love it.
And life is about enjoying the things you love, isn’t it?

Fresh Strawberry Pie
Time: 30 minutes hands on + 2 hours chilling time
Yield: 1 pie
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes
***NOTE*** This pie is best served the day it’s made.
The fresh berries tend to make the sauce runnier (is that a word) the longer it sits. End of Note. Thanks for reading. ****
3 pounds fresh strawberries
1 C sugar
3 T cornstarch
3/4 C cold water
dash salt
red food coloring (optional)
1   9 inch pie crust baked and cooled
Whipping Cream

1. Slice some of your strawberries up. You want about 3 C sliced berries.
Throw those babies into a bowl and take your potato masher to them.
Mash them all up nice and fine.
2. Pour your sugar into a medium sized sauce pan.
Add your mashed berries and stir the two ingredients together.
3. Pour your 3/4 C COLD water into a glass measuring cup. Add the 3 T cornstarch
and stir that baby all around until the cornstarch dissolves and the mixture is smooth. Should take just a few stirs.
4. Add a dash of salt to your berry and sugar mixture. (Just pretend that I already mixed them up together now….) Bring the strawberry mixture to boil over medium high heat.
5. Pour your cornstarch and water mixture into the sauce pan. Bring the mixture back to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir and cook until the sauce gets thick. You’ll be at it for about 4-5 minutes.

You want the sauce to be  to be a little bit thicker than pudding. Remove the sauce from the heat. Stir in a few drops of red food coloring if you choose. Pour the sauce into a bowl, pop it in the fridge and let it chill out for a while. You want it to reach room temperature or cooler before you pour it over your berries.

6. While your sauce is cooling, cut the green tops of your berries and place them in your baked pastry crust.
7. Once the sauce has reached room temperature pour it over the top of your berries. Cover your pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
8. Whip some fresh cream with a little sugar and vanilla, add a dollop to each piece of pie and serve!
Happy Spring everyone!!!

May 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm

OMGosh Jamie….I've been looking for a recipe like this!!! I just shared this link in the blog I write for a local online newsletter….As soon as it's approved, I'll send you the link. Thank you!

May 11, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Hi again, here's the link to my post: http://pacifica.patch.com/blog_posts/got-strawberries-and-crust I'm off to make this pie! Thanks again :)

May 12, 2011 at 1:05 am

I had some wonderful strawberry pie in Amish country here in Lancaster County PA last week. I have been dreaming of it since. Yours looks beautiful and oh so tasty!

May 16, 2011 at 12:22 am

It's my day for a blog hop, I'd love it if you came over and shared one of your great recipes at savory sunday!! Have a great day :)

May 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm

YUM! Strawberry pie always reminds me of my Grandma…she use to make the best strawberry pie! And she always used a sweet short crust pastry. Sooooo good!
    I sure wish we had fresh strawberries now. No local ones here until June here. :( So I guess I'll just have to drool over your blog post while waiting. LOL

May 3, 2012 at 9:47 pm

This looks wonderful! Do you think it would taste just as fantastic with a graham cracker crust?

May 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Yes, a graham cracker crust would be delish. Good luck! Hope you love it.

May 4, 2012 at 9:45 pm

My dad LOVES fresh strawberry pie so I made this for him for his birthday. He loved it. The whole pie was GONE by the end of the night.

Annie
    May 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm

My mother-in-law's recipe skips the water (just blend the sugar and cornstarch well), and adds about 1 Tbs. butter at the end. I used to pour the sauce over the whole berries, but now I gently fold them in. And local (red all the way through) berries are essential. We only have this pie in season, but it's worth the wait. I've baked it over 50 years!

Pam
    June 11, 2014 at 1:11 pm

My recipe is very similar, I use a little lemon juice in sauce. Delicious, worth making.