Lemon Bars

Last spring, I made some lemon bars.
They were sour and gooey…and not good at all.
I wrote a little post about it here
Afterwords I had a lovely reader send me a recipe for
“The best lemon bars ever….tried and tested….
they turn out perfectly every time!”
Well, lucky for you and I
the lovely reader was correct.
These lemon bars are wonderful. They are the perfect blend of tart and sweet and the texture is magnificent.
I hope you love them as much as we do!
Thanks for the recipe, lovely reader.

Lemon Bars
Time: 15 minutes hands on + 45 minutes baking
Yield: A 9×13 pan…cut them to your liking
Recipe from a lovely reader
CRUST:
1 C cold butter
2 C flour
1/2 C powdered sugar
FILLING:
4 eggs
2 C sugar
1/3 C fresh lemon juice
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 C flour
CRUST
1. Chop your butter into small pieces.

2. Toss your flour and powdered sugar together in a medium sized mixing bowl.

3. Add your butter to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender….

combine the ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

4. Press the crumbly mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.

Like this! Put the pan in a 350 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes.

FILLING
1. Crack the eggs and place them in your stand mixer, or in a medium sized mixing bowl.

2. Whip the eggs until they are nice and frothy, should only take about 20 seconds.

3. Juice your lemons and pour the juice into your mixer with the eggs. Mix until combined.

4. In a separate bowl combine the sugar, baking powder, salt and flour. Pour the dry ingredients into your mixer….

……and mix just until combined.

5. When your crust has cooked for the allotted 20 minutes, remove it from the oven and pour the filling over the top.

7. Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
8. Take the pan out of the oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
9. Let it cool completely, then cut into bars and serve.

ENJOY!!!!!

September 8, 2011 at 3:27 pm

September 8, 2011 at 3:38 pm

love lemon bars. can't wait to try this!

September 8, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I made some gorgeous creamy lemon crumb bars once (pioneer womans recipe, bound to be a winner!) and lovveedd them, never made the real classic though and this write up makes me think i need look no further! They look stunning and i will be trying this sometime for sure 🙂

September 8, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Ok, I'm hungry… and these look wonderful. Might just have to try them out soon. My husband would be thrilled!

On Gravity of Motion: Nourishment for this Mother’s Heart

September 8, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Oh yum!! I LOVE lemon bars! I actually have a bag of limes in the fridge…maybe I'll try mixing lemon and lime. 🙂 (Thanks for posting the lemon bar recipe which reminded me I need to juice and zest said limes for freezing before they go bad!)

BTW…the blog looks great! love the new look!

September 9, 2011 at 10:33 pm

My daughter and DIL got me onto your blog as they use it a lot. Thanks…….

September 10, 2011 at 5:49 am

Mine did not turn out. After baking the filling it had a layer over it. The layer had cracked and showed the lemony texture underneath. What did I do wrong?

September 10, 2011 at 8:35 am

These are incredible! SO good!!

September 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Anonymous,
    How did they end up tasting? My thoughts are perhaps you over baked them?

September 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I had the same problem as anonymous. I ended up with three total layers and the top was not moist at all, it was like cake on a crust. In looking at the photos I am thinking that I overmixed. They were not good. 🙁

September 15, 2011 at 3:22 am

Peggy,
    Thanks so much for letting me know of your trouble with this recipe. My instructions for the mixing were excessive. I made the bars again to test the ingredients and to see how long they needed to be mixed. I've fixed the recipe instructions above. So sorry for your wasted time and ingredients. Thanks again for your feedback.

September 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm

i make my lemon bars similar to this, but if you want to really pop teh crust flavor, add some almond extract to it =) everyone loves it!!

September 18, 2011 at 1:50 am

Thanks for the re-post with the new directions. I tried it again today and it did work out great. Yeah!

September 20, 2011 at 4:21 am

Hi Peggy,
    I'm so glad you gave them another go! Thanks for letting me know they were a success the second time around. I'm so relieved!
    Have a good one!

Sharna
    December 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm

i made these last night for today, half worked and half didnt! they taste amazing either way but as its now our christmas do… there isnt enough for what i need. what an AMAZING recipe!!!!! thank you so much Jamie!

Wendy
    March 27, 2013 at 11:38 am

Are they supposed to come out like brown on top? Mine aren’t cracked like some of the other commenters…but they don’t look appetizing. I haven’t tasted them yet so I don’t know if they taste good or not.