Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry

Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry

This year I am planning on doing a little cleaning up around here. There are some really great recipes lurking way back in my archives that I originally posted in the first few months of this little blogs life.
Back when it was just me, two or three of you…and my mom. :)

These early recipes are fabulously tasting…not so pretty to look at and a bit confusing to read.  I will be re-posting some of these tasty treasures now and then complete with new pictures, improved instructions and the PRINT RECIPE buttons attached.

This wonderful Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry is the first to be re-posted. It has a great tangy/sweet flavor, is super healthy and comes together in about 40 minutes. Hope you enjoy it!

Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry
Time: 40 minutes
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

4 chicken thighs (or breasts)
1 onion, chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
2 green or red bell peppers, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 large 20 oz. can pineapple chunks, reserve the juice
2-3 T olive oil
1 T garlic, minced
pinch red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce:
Juice from the can of pineapple
5 T rice vinegar
1/2 C sugar
4 T soy sauce
1/4 t ginger
2 T cornstarch
pinch red pepper flakes

1. If your chicken thighs are frozen, toss them in a large bowl and pour hot water over the top. Let them sit in the water until defrosted, should only take about 10 minutes.

2. Heat a large skillet up, over medium high heat. When the pan is hot pour about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the center of it. Swirl it around so the pan is evenly coated.

3. Use some kitchen scissors to cut up the chicken and place it in the pan. Season it with a bit of freshly cracked salt and pepper.

Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally until the outside is golden brown and the inside is no longer pink. Should take about 10 minutes. While it’s cooking  get your veggies washed and chopped.

4. Remove the chicken from the pan, put it on a plate and set it aside. Add about 1 tablespoon of oil to your hot pan. Toss in 1 tablespoon of garlic (the kind from the jar works fine) and just a teeny tiny pinch of red pepper flakes. Don’t go crazy here. A little goes a long way. Let the garlic get a bit brown as you stir it around in the pan.

5. Add your chopped vegetables to the pan.

Cook them over medium high heat until crisp/tender, stirring occasionally.  Should take about 10 minutes.

6. While your veggies cook, stir up your sauce! Into a small mixing bowl combine the pineapple juice

5 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar, 4 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 2 tablespoons corn starch and a pinch of red pepper flakes.

Stir it well with a whisk. You want to be sure that the corn starch is fully dissolved.
 7. When your veggies are wonderfully cooked, add the chicken back into the pan

along with the pineapple chunks.

8. Pour the sauce to the pan as well. Stir it around so that all the veggies are covered in sauce. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, while you stir it with a spatula. Once the sauce has thickened you are ready to eat. Serve with white or brown rice

Enjoy!

January 8, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Mmmm! Looks delicious!

Stopped by from SITS to share the comment love.

January 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm

My hubby served in Japan….lucky us! This looks easy to make…thanks!

Jamie Newman
    May 17, 2010 at 1:49 am

Jamie,
    I just discovered this recipe on your website and it sounds like something I have been craving. I have a question though. When your recipes call for ginger do you use powdered ginger or do you use fresh ginger root? If fresh, how do you prepare it? I have no experience with fresh ginger and wouldn't know where to begin. You can email me back at jamienewman79 at gmail dot com if you would like. Thanks for all your helping answering my amateur questions…one day I will be a good cook! Thanks again!

May 17, 2010 at 3:46 am

Jamie,
    I just use the powdered ginger.
    Thanks for the question! I hope you love the stir fry!

March 5, 2011 at 6:26 am

Please make this recipe “printable”
    Just discovered your site to day, I love love love it.

January 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Do you have to to use “rice vinegar” do you think? Or would an apple cider vinegar or something work just as well?

January 23, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I would definitely not use apple cider vinegar and definitely use rice vinegar. Big difference in taste. My mama is Japanese! :)

January 24, 2012 at 12:16 am

Hi Aubrey,
      The anonymous commenter is correct. Apple cider vinegar won't do the trick. I've tried before and my husband who lived in Korea for two years was not impressed. It does make quite a big difference.
      Good luck! Hope you end up trying it!

February 8, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Smdaa-ckb what I was looking for-ty!

January 23, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I found this recipe on Pinterest today and I'm so excited. I wanted to do something to celebrate the Chinese New Year today with my kiddos and this is the perfect recipe. Thanks so much!

Karen
    January 23, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Jamie – I love your photography. This stir fry had my mouth watering. I hope when I make it it`ll look as good!

January 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Thanks for honestly relating your experiences and opinions and good luck to you.
    Ford Contour AC Compressor

alamoe
    January 25, 2012 at 12:11 am

This recipe is awesome. Lots of wonderful colors and flavors. Thanks

Sarah Schmidt
    January 6, 2014 at 9:16 am

Do you think this would freeze well? I do a lot of freezer cooking to accommodate our family’s busy schedule.

January 7, 2014 at 7:16 am

Sarah,
      Unfortunately, Asian recipes don’t often freeze well. The veggies will get super soggy on you. Best of luck to you!