Roasted Tomato and Asparagus Tortellini

Roasted Tomato and Asparagus Tortellini

The other day one of my little twin boys (age 5) said to me.
“Hey, Mom. How come your bum is so runny?”

“Um. Did you say runny?”

“Yeah, you know like it’s just kind of saggy and droopy and runny…like, all the time.”

Now, dear reader! What can a mother say to a comment such as this! Thank you? Don’t talk about my bum? Get me a tissue my eyes are running just as much as my bum? None of these seemed to fit the situation so I just said…

“That kind of hurts my feelings, honey.”

He looked stunned by this newsflash and said…

“Oh…uh….hmmmm. What I meant to say is you’ve sure got a nice lookin’ bum Mom.”

And then I went to the store and bought a lot of vegetables (I think I read somewhere that they can cure a severe case of runnybum).

And then I roasted them in my oven and tossed them with some tasty tortellini and took some pictures for you…Because that’s what girls crave when they have come down with a case of runny bum. Fabulous tasting vegetables. That’s what.

Roasted Tomato and Asparagus Tortellini
Time: 30 minutes start to finish
Yield: 6-7 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cook It Up!
2 pints grape tomatoes
1 pound fresh asparagus
5-6 cloves garlic
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1 (24 ounce) package cheese tortellini
1 C chopped spinach
1 T lemon juice (fresh, please)
1 C Parmesan cheese, grated

1. Cut about 1 inch of the bottoms off each lovely stalk of asparagus. The bottoms are really tough and woody tasting. Chop the rest of the asparagus into 2 inch pieces. (Don’t get out the ruler, now…these measurements are approximate)

2. Spread the asparagus pieces and the grape tomatoes out evenly over a large cookie sheet. Be sure to use a pan that has a nice rim on it. You don’t want those lovely juices to run off and on to the bottom of your oven.
3. Peel and roughly chop 5-6 cloves of garlic. Do not  be mistaken. You don’t want to peel and chop 5 or 6 whole garlic bulbs, now. Just 5-6 of the little cloves that come in a bulb.

4. Add the fresh garlic to the tomatoes and asparagus and drizzle olive oil over the top of them. You just need about 2-3 tablespoons.

5. Grind a bit of salt and pepper over the top as well.
Then, using two large spoons, toss the ingredients together. Make sure all of the veggies have a bit of oil on them. Toss your pan in the oven to roast at 400 degrees, for about 20 minutes, or until the asparagus is fork tender.

6. When the veggies are about half way done, put a large pot of hot water on your stove and bring it to a boil. Salt it generously and then add your tortellini. Cook until done, but not over done. :) Tortellini actually cooks pretty fast. You will most likely only want to boil it for about 5 minutes.

7. Pour the tortellini and boiling water into a colander that has been placed in your sink. Run a bit of warm water over the top. You want the tortellini to stay quite warm. Don’t run cold water over it.
8. Pour the tortellini into a large mixing bowl and add 1 cup of chopped spinach to it.

9. Take your roasted vegetables out of the oven. See how lovely they look! The tomatoes should have cracks all along them, and the garlic should be golden in color.
10. Carefully pour the roasted veggies into your mixing bowl, making sure to scrape any of the wonderful juices off the roasting pan and into the bowl.

11. Crack a little more salt and pepper over the top.

Squeeze 1 tablespoon of lemon juice over the bowl…
and add 1 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese. Toss it all together, serve and enjoy!

February 27, 2012 at 2:20 pm

You may have runny bum but I have runny tummy. I feel your pain. This looks delicious. I need to pin it right now!

February 27, 2012 at 3:37 pm

that is far too funny! How have I not heard the “runnybum” story? That is CLASSIC!

February 27, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I believe we all have something “runny”. Let's hope that vegetables really are the cure! :)

February 27, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Aren't kids precious!

February 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

so vibrant in color, looks super tasty.

February 27, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I've always loved the phrase, “Never trust a cook without a runny bum.”

February 6, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Linda, Thank you for stopping by, will hop over to your blog soon. Happy bilggong.Sze Sze, Thanks dear, you too.Debbi, Thnak you for stopping by.fuzidss, Thanks you for stopping by.Pete, yes, you should.Premalatha, Thanks for your lovely words.Meldylocks and her three bears, ya, i heard SG selling cheap cherry.Felvinc, sudah habis lor.hahahaLittle inbox,quickly try out ya.

February 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Runny bums aside – your recipe looks wonderful and since I have everything on hand except the spinach – it will be on tomorrow's menu! (And I do agree with Melissa's comment and besides – runny bums, runny noses, running off the mouth – there's something for everyone!)

February 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I dont have any kids but I can only imagine a million and one things running through my mind when they said that. Although if that was my husband and swift smack would have followed :) But this recipe looks awesome and tasty and wonderful…i cant wait to try it thank you for sharing

Karen
    February 28, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I think I read somewhere that people with runny bums are also the smartest (and nicest) people. Tell your son. He oughta know this. And the pasta looks fabulous. I can't wait to try it.

February 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Runny Bum. I love it! Kids are so sweetly honest, aren't they? I fear I have a case of runny bum too, so I will be making this for dinner tonight. :)Thanks for sharing!!

March 1, 2012 at 3:48 am

I love your recipes, whenever I read through them my mouth waters. I love your comments too. The other day my daughter said something to the effect of “mom, you're this much pretty, and this much ugly” then she went on about how I just need to use proactive. That was my four year old. I have break outs, but I didn't think they were that bad.

March 4, 2012 at 7:25 pm

So I did indeed make this the other night like I mentioned in my comment above. It was a huge hit with my husband and nine-year-old. I halved the recipe since we have such a tiny family (two kids) and there was plenty for us. I served it with a tossed green salad and your fabulous french bread (which is fabulous!). I plan to make this 2-3 more times while asparagus is in season. Thanks for such a yummy, quick recipe!

March 5, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I made this a few nights ago since asparagus was $0.97/lb! Husband and I really loved it, but the kids complained about the red things. And I didn't even use all the tomatoes. Oh well – their loss. Adam thinks it may be a recipe for more 'mature' consumers.

March 6, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Oh my, this was SO wonderful! I, too, caught asparagus on sale (although not as cheaply as Amy). I'm a sucker for anything with tortellini in it but this was just delish. As a single person, I'm always looking for recipes that will make good leftovers, and this one fits the bill!

March 7, 2012 at 12:48 am

We had this for dinner tonight and loved it! Even the 8, 5 and 2yo boys ate it! (or at least most of it!) Thanks again for a yummy dinner!

Jenn
    March 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Once my four year old neice was with me and she commented on my squishy arms. I am sure I have more squishy parts than not so I will be making this for dinner soon.

April 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Going to make this tonight for my sister.
    I also put it on Pinterest!

Thanks so much!

April 24, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Oh man, the things kids say. My friend's five year old son once looked at one of my favorite dresses with disgust and said, “Why would you wear that??” lol.

This looks awesome! I know what I'll be making for dinner after my next grocery trip…

February 19, 2014 at 6:54 am

I am forever indebted to you for this intmroafion.

May 4, 2012 at 12:01 am

This is fantastic!! I cooked it tonight for dinner. I altered it just a little I only did 1 thing of tomatoes and I did a whole lemon. Plenty of flavor, healthy and my 3 year old wanted more.

Kari
    January 25, 2013 at 10:47 am

Does anyone have any good options for a substitute for the tomatoes? My husband and I don’t care for them but the rest of this recipe sounds delicious!

January 26, 2013 at 8:20 am

Hi Kari,
      Thanks for your question. This recipe really needs the tomatoes. They break down in the oven and the juices form an important part of the “sauce” that covers the rest of the veggies.

February 8, 2014 at 3:42 am

When the lazy bugs attack me on a weneekd, we eat out :(I used to cook fan choy for my family but have long forgotten about it until I see your upside down rice here. Thanks for the reminder. Anyway, your version seems so much easier, will try this one day.

Danielle
    January 31, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Jamie,
    I found this recipe on Pinterest yesterday and I just had to try it. I made it for dinner tonight, and I must say it is AMAZING!! I want this to be a regular dish in my house! Thank you for sharing it!

Stacy
    April 7, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I made this for dinner tonight with the Macaroni Grill bread, and it was all so good! 1 loaf of the bread is almost gone! Thanks so much for sharing such great recipes – there are a few from April’s menu on our menu this week.

Michele in IL.
    June 13, 2013 at 8:22 am

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made this wonderful recipe! I’ve shared your blog and recipe each time since it is so popular!
    Thank you so much!

JoAnne
      September 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I made this tonight and it was wonderful!!! Thank you for the recipe.