Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Last week, here in Utah the sun was out. It was really out, I tell you. My little boys and I went for a walk, we even hung out at the park. I pushed them on a swing for a while…and then they pushed me on the swing. (Give a moment of silence for the poor hinges on that swing, would ya? I’m hoping it’s still hanging out at the park in one piece!)

The weather last week was just plain lovely, is the point I’m trying to make here. Shiny and lovely.

And now, even as a write this post there are huge snow flakes coming down in droves outside my window. The wind is blowing and the sky is dark, man. Really dark. I’m pretty sure the park and I wouldn’t love each other as much today.

But then that’s March for you. Just a little sampling of all kinds of weather. Little bit of sun, little bit of snow, little bit of variety whipped up and trying to make everybody happy.

Lucky for you and I, there is nothing better on a cold and snowy day than a warm bowl of soup. This Chicken Gnocchi Soup is absolutely fabulous. Creamy, rich and flavorful. Comfort food at its best. It comes together quickly, you only need 30-40 minutes to make it all happen. Hope you give it a try!

Chicken Gnocchi Soup
DSC01548 resized

If you are wondering what in the world gnocchi is, let me shed a little bit of light on the subject. Gnocchi are Italian dumplings made from potatoes and flour. I found this handy little package of Gnocchi at Walmart, which means most of you should be able to find them pretty easily. Unless you live in Zimbabwe. I’m not sure if the local Walmart there carries Gnocchi. Just putting that little disclaimer out there.
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Time: 30-40 minutes total
Recipe adapted from Freida Loves Bread and Allrecipes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and grated
4 stalks celery, chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2-3 T olive oil
1 Rotisserie Chicken + 1 C reserved broth from the bottom of the chicken container
7 C water
8 chicken bullion cubes
1 (16 ounce) package Potato Gnocchi
4 C half and half
1 1/2 C spinach, chopped
1 t thyme
1/8 t nutmeg
1 T sugar
1/4 C cold water
5 T cornstarch
salt and pepper
2 T butter
DSC01535 resized

1. Get your onion and garlic peeled and chopped, your carrots peeled and grated and your celery chopped.

DSC01537 resized

2. Heat a large pot up over medium high heat. Pour 2-3 tablespoons of Olive Oil into it.

DSC01538 resized

3. When the oil is hot toss your chopped veggies into the pan. Cook them over medium high heat, stirring occasionally for about 5-8 minutes or until the onions are translucent.

DSC01543 resized
4. Take the lovely rotisserie chicken out of the package and set it on a plate.

DSC01542 resized
5. Pour the broth that is left in the bottom of the chicken package into a large measuring cup. You should have about 1 cup of broth from the pan.
6. Pull the skin off of the chicken, and take the meat off of the bones. Chop it up with a sharp knife.
DSC01551 resized
7. When your veggies are done cooking pour the broth from the chicken and 7 cups of hot water into the pot. Add 8 chicken bullion cubes and give it a nice stir.
DSC01552 resized

8. Add the chopped chicken

DSC01554 resized
and bring the soup to a boil.
DSC01555 resized
9. Open up the package of Gnocchi and pour it into the pot. Let the soup come to a boil again and allow the gnocchi to cook for about 3-4 minutes. The gnocchi will be cooked  through when they float to the top of the broth. It should happen pretty fast.

DSC01556 resized

10. Chop yourself about 1 1/2 cups of spinach and toss it into the pot.
11. Pour in 4 cups of Half and Half, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir it around a bit and let it come to a boil.
12. In a small bowl combine 1/4 C cold water and 5 tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix it well and pour it into the soup pot.
13. Bring the soup to a boil, while you stir. It will thicken as the soup reaches a boil.
14. Taste it and season it to your liking with salt and pepper.
Enjoy!
DSC01588 resized

March 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm

This looks FABULOUS! Yum, yum, yummily, yum!
    BTW, the half and half is not listed in the ingredient list :) Just thought I would give ya a heads up…oh, and I totally give you permission to erase this comment, lol!

March 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Bless you Siggy. I need an editor. :) Thanks for the heads up.
      Have a great day,

gwenna
    March 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm

could you boil a whole chicken or even parts of a chicken instead of doing rotesserie?

March 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Yes, you can boil/roast your own chicken, or even use whole chicken breasts, cut up for this recipe. You will get extra flavor from roasting your own chicken or from using the rotisserie chicken.

March 19, 2012 at 4:06 pm

That looks amazing Jamie!! My family was introduced to gnocchi last fall and we love it!! Can't wait to try this!

March 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I agree – soup with this kind of weather just seems to fit. We just had clam chowder last night in your soup bowl recipe (but we colored them green). Yum.

This looks delicious – I've never tried gnocchi before.

March 19, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Mmmmm I have a pack of the gnocchi hanging out in my pantry and now I know exactly what I'm doing with it.

March 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

This looks so good..We lived in Naples Italy for 3 years and I loved the italian cuisine..it was the land of pasta…but sooo good..and I loved Gnocchi..I will have to give this one a try..we too are from utah..(west valley area) but haven't lived there since 86..we live in washington state and we are getting the exact same weather you are getting..March is weird for weather…have a wonderful day..we are actually getting a bit of sun today..then back to rain..;)Please can you do us all a favor and get rid of the word verification…it is so hard to read.;)

March 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Thanks for sharing one of my recipes! It does fit the bill on a cold not-so-spring like day!

March 20, 2012 at 12:04 am

Oh my, that looks DELICIOUS! Wish I saw this post sooner I would have ran to the store for the ingredients to make for dinner. Will have to make this for sure. :)

March 20, 2012 at 12:11 am

I have to try this recipe.

March 20, 2012 at 2:41 am

I absolutely love your blog! Just wanted to share my appreciation. Keep the delicious recipes coming!
    Sara

Traci
    March 20, 2012 at 3:21 am

I'm a new follower of yours, and when I saw this recipe I just had to make it tonight! I halved the recipe for our family of 6 and we still had a ton leftover. Not that it wasn't good, it just made a lot (and my kids don't eat much). I knew my kids wouldn't eat chopped up celery and carrots so I pureed those and just simmered and shredded frozen chicken tenderloins. I left the spinach finely chopped b/c that doesn't bother them. I also added some broccoli florets and used fat free half and half. And I substituted some chives for the onions. I added some red pepper flakes and Tabasco just b/c my kids like their food with a little kick. And since my kids aren't big soup eaters, I had my son make your Quick and Easy Breadsticks recipe (http://jamiecooksitup.blogspot.com/2009/10/quick-and-easy-breadsticks.html) for dipping in the soup. (Another reason I puree most of the veggies in my soups is so they will soak it up in the bread!) Next time I would only shred half the chicken (since it sticks to the breadsticks that way) but leave some of it chunked up for me and my husband. Next time I think I might try a little Worchestershire instead of the Tabasco. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! It was a lot of fun to try tonight!

March 20, 2012 at 3:50 am

I have NEVER had gnocchi, but since I LOVE potatoes & soup am sure I'll LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing :)

March 20, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Looks just like Olive Garden's soup! I think I'm making this for dinner tonight! Yummmmm

March 21, 2012 at 6:40 pm

This looks soup looks awesome! You can keep the snowflakes…I'm enjoying my wonderful summerlike weather here in michigan for as long as I can!

March 21, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Trying this one for sure! Soup is one of my favorite things to make!

March 22, 2012 at 2:24 am

Made it tonight and success!! Everyone loved it! I love your recipes! Thanks for doing this blog.

March 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I have tried other Gnocchi soups and they haven't been great, but I thought I would try yours, and what a difference. It was so good. Thank you so much!

March 28, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Delicous and really took less than 30 minutes. I made a much smaller batch since it was just for two of us. I used boxed unsalted chicken broth instead of water and boullion and then seasoned to taste. Served with fresh grated parm. Yummy. Thanks for the great recipe!

April 3, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I just came across your blog and boy am I glad that I did! You are hilarious! =) And you have so many amazing recipes… I'm definitely hooked!!

Dana
    April 11, 2012 at 4:21 am

Anyone know any substitutes for the chicken bouillon? So much salt….

Laurie
      April 19, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Reduced sodium chicken broth!

Colette
      May 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Try Better Than Boillon Chicken Base. It's sold in in 8 oz. jar & makes lots of broth. I've used it in several recipies and it's wonderful!

Laurie
    April 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I made the soup tonight for my family of 6. It was a HUGE hit! We loved it! I must confess that I reduced the amount of garlic called for, since we have some dietary restrictions and it made little or no difference. I also added about a cup of frozen diced butternut squash, which was a great addition. This recipe is a definite keeper (according to my 26 year old daughter)! Thank you!

May 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I think I have found my replacement for my usual potato soup I make, when my grown children call,not feeling well and needs “cooked love”. This sounds just like what they need.

Colette
    May 11, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Both my husband and I LOVED this! I suggest using a really big pot though. (I need to get one of those.) Since it's just the two of us I had lots left over, which was fine. I just froze the extra into 2-servings size portions, and when the soup was defrosted & reheated it was still great!

May 14, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Finally!!! I'm going to make this soup tonight and I'm soooo excited. I've been savoring this recipe since you posted. I'll let you know how great it was!!! Thanks.

May 24, 2012 at 4:09 am

I made this soup for dinner tonight….I can't begin to describe the deliciousness! The consistency is like velvet and the flavor is so amazing!
    I grilled my own chicken but otherwise followed the recipe!
    Thank you thank you thank you for my families new favorite soup!!
    oh….and that Olive Garden place wished their gnocchi soup was this good!!

August 30, 2012 at 11:13 pm

This looks so yummy. I think I am going to have to try it sometime! I love gnocchi and I’m always looking for ways to use it. Thanks for sharing.

September 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I am making our meal menu for the week and this is going to be on it. Paired with some breadsticks and I am looking forward to this dinner. Thanks for the recipe!

September 12, 2012 at 10:37 am

Could you use a butter cake instead of the yellow cake mix for pumpkin bars?

September 13, 2012 at 7:03 am

Hi Barb,
      Yes, a butter cake mix would work just fine. Good luck!

LJ
    September 17, 2012 at 4:26 pm

The boy and I (not exactly world class chefs) made this the other night and it was INCREDIBLE! Took us about an hour to get everything together, but SO delicious! If we were to do it again, we’d chop the carrots instead of grating them and let the veggies cook a little longer at the beginning – our celery was still a little crispy! :) Great recipe – thanks for sharing!

jody
    September 26, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Hey loved the recipe and cant wait to try it. I used to always use bouillon cubes to flavor my stocks and bases for soups. Then I found the jar of bouillon in a jar or paste that has the great flavor but not all the sodium. Its a small black jar.

Nelle
    October 1, 2012 at 7:39 am

This soup looks great! On a side note, you look like Kate Walsh’s twin! I am sure you get that a lot!

Emily
    October 2, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Made this for me and my hubby tonight, it was so easy & delicious! This is one of my favorite soups and now is his too! Plenty of leftovers for lunches and quick dinner this week! Thanks for the great recipe!

Laura
    October 11, 2012 at 5:43 pm

We made this last night and loved it. It made so much! You weren’t kidding about the 12 servings. We took some to our friends who recently had a baby, and they really enjoyed it. Thanks!

Kathy Driskell
    October 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Just tried the Gnocchi chicken soup recipe and added 3 C. of mild shredded cheddar to it for a little extra “oomph”. Delicious! I’ve printed out about 10 more of your recipes and will be baking/cooking like crazy in the next week or so…the family is in for a treat!

Shanna
    November 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Made this soup two weeks ago, fabulous. Shared with the neighbors the raved about it. Thanks so much for sharing your great recipes hope you keep sharing more.

November 9, 2012 at 11:59 am

Where at the store would I find the gnocchi? It’s my first time making anything like this and Iam not sure where to look. Thanks!

Jacie
    November 28, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I absolutely LOVE this recipe. We make it at least 3 times a month! Not only is it super easy and fast to make, but i feel like a top chef once i get a big first bite! Great job!

Stephanie B
    December 11, 2012 at 9:35 am

Has anyone tried freezing this soup? I’m going to make it for dinner tonight but it sounds like it makes a lot!

Tricia
    December 16, 2012 at 7:59 pm

OH MY WORD!!! I made this soup last night and it was AH-MAAAAZING!!! Wow~my husband and I absolutely loved this recipe!!! Thanks so much Jamie!!! I can’t wait to try out more of your recipes!!! They all look so delicious!!! :-D

Michele
    December 17, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Jamie, love your website/blog and your recipes are wonderful. I am making your orange cranberry bread this weekend for Christmas. Can’t wait!!!

Sue
    December 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Made this last night-it was very, very good. Didn’t have room in the pot for the whole 4 cups of half and half-only managed 3. I used fat free-no problem at all. Will add this to the 5 star list for sure!

Eloise
    December 28, 2012 at 6:04 pm

this looks delish!!!! cant wait to make it. i love your glass measuring cup and your soup bowl. where did ya find them?

Megan Shaw
    December 28, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Yum! I made this last year and it was even better. I was using baby carrots so I had to slice them for fear of shredding my fingers…..next time I will definitely shred. And I will add more spinach and another package of gnocchi….I love the gnocchi….I wish there was one in almost every bite. This is a phenomenal recipe….I think it’s my favorite soup. Ever. Gnocchi was easy for me to find by the pasta at the big Walmart. I will stock it in my pantry now……thanks for another winner Jamie. You rock.

Casey Waters
    December 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I like to make a lot of substitutions of chicken with turkey….just to switch it up a little every now and then, do you think this would be an appropriate substitution for this recipe?

Steph_anie
    December 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Made this tonight for my family of 5– EVERYONE (which is a miracle in itself) loved it! My 2 year old had 5, yes 5, small bowls, before I cut her off. Thanks so much for a great meal!

Cannot wait for leftovers tomorrow!

Jackie
    January 2, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Just made this and it is excellent! Thanks for the great recipe!

Melissa
    January 4, 2013 at 5:20 pm

What section do I find the gnocchi in at Walmart?

Monica K
    January 7, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I wasn’t able to find Gnocchi at walmart it’s normally in italian freezer section. BUT it’s very very easy to make homemade gnocchi i highly suggest every do it :) Calls for 1 egg salt potatoes (boil and mash them) and mix flour.

Elizabeth N
    January 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Absolutely delicious. Even better than Olive Garden. Since it’s only me and my husband, we halve the recipe and still have plenty leftover. Thank you!

Alyssa
    January 11, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Made this tonight! It’s great. Could I freeze it?