Spaghetti Pie

Spaghetti Pie

Hello there. I sure hope your Mother’s Day was groovy and you got to put your feet up and paint your toenails…or something really great like that.

For your viewing pleasure today, I have a great little dinner recipe. A good friend brought this yummy Spaghetti Pie to my house a few weeks ago, and holy cow it was good. It’s a nice twist on the regular spaghetti dinner. Spaghetti noodles are mixed with Parmesan cheese and butter, then spread out into the bottom of a casserole dish. Cottage cheese, a fabulous meat sauce and mozzarella cheese are layered over the noodles, then the whole concoction is baked until the the cheese is bubbly and golden. Love the taste, love the texture.

Delicious.

Delightful.

Hope you try it soon!

Spaghetti Pie
Time: 20 min. hands on + 20-30 min. baking
Recipe from the lovely Paula Bowers

PIE:
6 ounces spaghetti noodles
2 T butter, melted
1/3 C Parmesan cheese, grated
2 eggs, beaten
1 C cottage cheese
MEAT SAUCE:
1 pound sausage (ground sausage like Jimmy Dean, works best)
1/2 C onion, chopped
1/2 C green pepper, chopped
1 (14 ounce) can Italian Stewed Tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 t sugar
1 t oregano
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 C mozzarella cheese, grated

1. Boil some water, salt it well and toss in about 6 ounces of spaghetti noodles. Cook them until they are slightly firm in the middle. Pour them into a strainer you have properly set in your sink. Run warm water over the top of the cooked noodles and set them aside.

2. While your noodles cook, toss the sausage into a hot skillet. Use a spatula to break up the sausage.

3. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion,

and 1/2 cup of green pepper.

Cook over medium high heat, until the sausage is browned and the veggies are soft.

4. Add a can of Italian stewed tomatoes,

a can of tomato paste,

1 teaspoon sugar,

1 teaspoon oregano

and half a teaspoon of garlic salt. Give it all a nice stir and set it aside.

5. Pour the spaghetti noodles into a medium sized bowl. Pour 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the top of the noodles and stir it in with a couple of forks.

6. Whip 2 eggs well with a fork and add them to the noodles.

7. Toss in 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and toss it all to combine.

8. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and pour the noodles into the pan.

9. Cover the noodles with 1 cup of cottage cheese,

the meat sauce

and half a cup of grated Mozzarella cheese.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Enjoy!

May 14, 2012 at 11:43 am

mmm looks delish! We had a similar version growing up with a tad bit more green pepper – your version looks super yummy! thanks for sharing! xo

May 14, 2012 at 5:11 pm

dang that looks tasty..but I would add turkey sausage to cut back on the calories a bit..(just trying to keep it a bit more healthy and using whole grain noodles or gluten free noodles)..thanks for sharing..this would be so good for our enrichment nights with the ladies.:)

May 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Oh dear, now I have to decide if I will be making this for dinner or go ahead with the leftovers!
    I have been meaning to ask–ever since I started reading your blog (and it is wonderful!)– about that amazing looking cutting tool you use. Would you be willing to let me know where I could get one.

Thank you.

May 14, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Does this work in a 9×13 pan?

May 14, 2012 at 7:56 pm

It's like lasagna with spaghetti noodles, but quicker to put together …Looks absolutely delish, I will surely be trying this recipe.

May 14, 2012 at 8:00 pm

The minute I saw the name of this I knew you were blessed with one of my kids favorite recipes from Their Grandma Bowers. This is a great freezer meal as well. My favorite way to make this is with her homemade spaghetti sauce, which is awesome.

May 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Unknown,
    You would need to double the recipe, if you were to use a 9×13. However, if you have a 9×9 it would work really well. Good luck!

May 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I just made up this Spaghetti Pie for dinner tonight and wow!!!!! the meat sauce is amazing! Can't wait till dinnertime! This is going to be yummy! Thanks Jamie for the recipe!

May 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I made this last evening and it turned out great. My family loved it and so do I. It was easy to make. My husband said “it's not too spicy” so it's a keeper. Thanks for the great recipe.

Laura T.
    May 16, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I made this tonight for my family and it was SO. GOOD! I think I will use the sauce recipe from now on for any recipe I use spaghetti sauce in. It was so easy and delicious. Thanks so much for sharing!

May 18, 2012 at 12:03 am

Oh, I can't do cottage cheese. I would use besciamella instead. That would make it more like lasagne too. YUM! Looks great!

May 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I made this last night but used ricotta cheese. OMG…Delish. And so simple.

Thank you for sharing!

May 29, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Delicious – thank you!

May 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Is it possible to pin your recipes?

Holly Keesee
    May 29, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Made this last week and it was AWESOME!!! Loved by all. Thank you for this great new addition to my recipe book :)

May 29, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Anonymous,
    Please feel free to pin any and all of my recipes. :)

May 30, 2012 at 9:16 pm

will this work in a 9×13 pan? what size pan did you use?

June 1, 2012 at 4:06 am

Hi Marne,
      A 9×9 pan would work. If you want to use a 9×13 you should double the recipe. Good luck!

September 5, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was a winner! I was surprised at how flavorful it was. I think it would be easier to just add a can of chunky spaghetti sauce, but it probably wouldn’t be quite as yummy!

joddi
    October 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I made this for dinner tonight. I did not double the recipe and it fit perfectly in a 9×13 pan!

February 7, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I judge my Chinese food restaurants by their Hot and Sour soup.. Sammy’s is the best anurod. Affordable prices.. Great food. Perfect place for a quality meal.

Lonelle Minesinger
    October 15, 2012 at 10:52 am

I wonder about freezing this, but the cottage cheese might not make it great to freeze??

October 16, 2012 at 6:35 am

Lonelle,
      I haven’t ever tried to freeze this recipe before. My first thought is, that it would be fine. I have frozen lasagna with cottage cheese in it before, and the result was great. Good luck! Let me know if you try it and how it works out for you.
      ~jamie

Denise Routson
    November 18, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Do you happen to drain the juice from the cottage cheese before adding it to the recipe? It looks so yummy!

November 19, 2012 at 6:43 am

Denise,
      Yes, if your cottage cheese has a lot of liquid in it I would try and press the liquid out before you add it. Good luck!

denise
    November 19, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for the clarity, Jamie :) I just found your food blog a couple weeks ago and I love it! Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

Lou-Ellen
    December 3, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Hi Jamie
    Just love your site and all of your super great receipes!!!!! For the spaghetti pie, l don’t have cottage cheese on hand, so could l use phylly cream cheese, instead. l would like to make this tomorrow so could you get to me asap? Thanking you in advance~ Lou

December 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Lou-Ellen,
      So glad you have been enjoying the recipes. :)
      As for substituting cream cheese for the cottage cheese, I think the taste would be ok, but the texture you are looking for would be different than if you used cottage cheese. It may end up working out fine! Let me know if you try it and how it goes.
      Thanks,

Barbi Jensen
    January 9, 2013 at 9:41 am

We had this for dinner last night and everyone loved it! Thanks. :)

JW
    May 29, 2014 at 7:44 am

Made this last night and it was great!! Used ground beef instead of sausage though.