Turkey Breast of Wonder (Crock Pot)

Turkey Breast of Wonder (Crock Pot)

So, I realize.

Dear reader.

That the month is May, Mexican food is on sale at the grocery store, people are worrying about purchasing a gift for dear old Mom, and the bees? Well, they are buzzing in the trees, you know.

And here I am sharing a recipe for turkey, with out a pilgrim hat in sight! It may seem a bit misplaced, my friends. But turkey doesn’t belong to November alone, does it? Especially this fabulous, couldn’t be EASIER (5 minutes prep is all you need), moist, tender, shred-able, Turkey Breast of Wonder. You could make it with a traditional side of Mashed Potatoes and Gravy and serve it for Sunday dinner. You could chop it up and put it in this fabulous sandwich. You could shred it up and put it in this heavenly salad, and enjoy it for lunch. Which is what I have been doing with the leftovers all week, and let me tell you. It’s the lunch of champions. I think I could almost win a gold medal after eating it. No joke.

There is a great little Bakery/Sandwich joint down the street from my house (Kneaders, is the name) that makes the best sandwiches and salads with heavenly turkey that isn’t processed and sliced. This recipe reminds me a lot of the turkey Kneaders uses. Juicy, flavorful and perfect to go in all kinds of things.

Hope you love it. :)

Turkey Breast of Wonder
Time: 5 min. prep + 8-9 hours cooking
Recipe from my lovely sister Jen Willahan
***NOTE: Make sure you buy a turkey breast small enough to fit in your crock pot.***
1 (5-6 pound) turkey breast
1/2 C orange juice (you could also substitute chicken broth)
1 (14 ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
1 (1 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
salt and pepper

1. Make sure your turkey is completely thawed. I let mine hang out in the fridge for a couple of days after I purchase it frozen. Set it on a pan, so you don’t have juices running all over when you open up the bag. Cut a hole in the top of the bag and remove the packaging. Some turkey breasts come with a gravy pouch inside, be sure to remove it if yours happens to come with one.
2. Place the old bird in the crock pot.

2. Pour yourself 1/2 cup of orange juice.

Add one can whole berry Cranberry sauce

and one package Lipton Onion Soup mix.

3. Mix the ingredients together and pour them over the top of the bird.

4. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the top. Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 8-9 hours,

or until a meat thermometer stuck into the center of the bird reads 180 degrees. You can see I got mine a bit past 180. Don’t like, turn me into the poultry police or anything, ok? It still turned out wonderful, juicy and moist.

5. Remove the turkey breast to a plate and cover it with tin foil. Let it rest for about 5 minutes. Then carve it (or shred it) up and enjoy.

GRAVY:
1. Pour the juices from the crock pot through a strainer and into a medium sized sauce pan.
2. Mix 4 T of cornstarch into 1/2 cup of water.
3. Bring the juices to a boil and add the cornstarch/water mixture a little bit at a time, stirring constantly until you reach the consistency you want. You may not need all of the cornstarch/water.
4. Add about half of a can of cream of mushroom soup. Stir it well and let the soup heat through.

Enjoy!

May 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Did the turkey taste sweet? We don't like “sweet” meat LOL! I agree – turkey is good any time – thanks much!

May 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Hi Kelly,
      It's not sweet at all, just has a great savory flavor to it.

May 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Is the orange juice prepared or straight concentrate?

May 3, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I completely agree- I love having a turkey every couple months. It gives me a couple meals immediately & then I can freeze some for some quick & easy meals later on too.

May 4, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I will try this….it sounds so good! It is Kentucky Derby week end. Have you ever made Kentucky's famous Hot Browns? They are made with turkey and are on my Derby menu tomorrow!

May 5, 2012 at 2:09 am

I would love the gravy recipe too. It looks so good!

May 7, 2012 at 4:13 am

I have added the gravy recipe above. Good luck!

May 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Thanks for the recipe~it looks fabulous! Going to the store today to buy a turkey breast-my family will love this!

May 10, 2012 at 1:41 am

I am making this for dinner tomorrow! Very excited to see how it tastes! :)

Taylor
    May 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Has anyone else ever made this? I'm thinking about making this for Mother's Day, but orange juice, cranbery sauce (gross–do not like), and onion soup mix seems like such a odd combo, but i'd love to hear more feedback because I would like to try this :)

May 10, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Where did you get your turkey breast? I've only been able to find 3 lb size and it was almost $10. Thanks.

May 11, 2012 at 12:48 am

Hi Diana,
    $10 for a 3 pounder! That is a lot. I found mine at Walmart for $1.68 per pound. Good luck!

May 11, 2012 at 4:48 am

Jamie,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check another Walmart. The $10 price was at Walmart. I'll keep looking.

Thanks!

May 13, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I'm making this for supper tonight – my “no cook” Mother's Day dinner for myself. Hubs is on potato duty! :)

BTW – Turkey breasts are on sale this week at SuperTarget for 99 cents a pound (May 13-19). (I bought mine last week and they adjusted the price for me with my receipt!)

Andrea B.
    May 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm

How funny Tracy! (comment above) I too, am making this for my own Mother's Day dinner! My house smells soooo delicious, and the kids and I can't wait to try this!

Taylor
    May 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I made this for mother's day yesterday, it was yummyyyy, I used 2 3 lb turkeys and we had a ton left over, so for those that only found 3 pound turkeys, we had a full turkey left after 4 of us ate!!

Sharidan Dillon
    June 1, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I am excited to try this out very soon! I'll make my husband some sweet potatoes and we will have an awesome dinner. Thanks!

Debbie
    August 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm

My husband and daughter is allergic to onions so I cannot use the soup mix. Any recommendations for a substitute? Thank you.

August 31, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Hi Debbie,
      It works quite well if you just pour chicken broth over the turkey. You could mix the cranberries and orange juice with the broth and it would be great like that as well. Good luck! Hope you love it.

September 4, 2012 at 3:38 am

The flavor of this was -amazing-. Turkey came out a bit dry, probably because I used half a breast and our slow cooker is pretty large. Still, it was edible and like I said the flavor was enough to make me want to try it again! My husband gives the gravy a thousand thumbs up, also. He said I should try the bird again just to get the gravy out of it!

Jessica
    September 6, 2012 at 2:09 pm

This sounds awesome but I once cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot for 8 hours and it didn’t come out whole… it all just fell apart. We were picking bones out of our food. Does that happen with this??

Brittany C.
    September 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I’m not sure how I missed this when you originally posted this but it caught my eye hanging out over on your side bar. I was sold the second I saw “Kneaders”. I have a mild obsession with that place, most specifically the turkey sandwich on whole wheat with avocado. I could eat that sandwich every single day. We are FINALLY getting a Kneaders down here in Gilbert, AZ, and it’s 3 miles away!! Anyway, I am so excited to try this turkey breast!!! Thank you again for, what I’m sure is, another fabulous recipe! Love your blog!!!

Mary Jane
    October 2, 2012 at 8:04 am

The turkey came out very juicy! I think this was the most moist turkey I’ve ever eaten. That being said it was a little too sweet for us. I will defiantly use this method again, but change some ingredients

Ria
    October 4, 2012 at 10:21 am

Making this as we speak, the house smells great.

Theresa
    October 4, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I have a 3lb turkey breast. Should I use 1/2 the sauce?

Melanie
    October 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I made this for Sunday Dinner yesterday. The word “YUM” does not come close to describing the deliciousness of the meal!

Teresa
    October 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Silly question, but is this a boneless breast? I’m having a hard time finding any turkey breast in NYC right now…

October 12, 2012 at 9:16 am

Teresa,
      I always use a turkey breast with the bone in. Good luck! Hope you can find one soon.

michelle
    October 22, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Did you mix the onion soup mix with water. Or just mix the dry mix with the OJ

October 24, 2012 at 8:59 am

Michelle,
      No need to add any water, just mix the cranberries, orange juice and onion soup mix. Good luck!

Jenn
    October 27, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hey just an FYI the ‘PRINT RECIPE’ link isn’t working… it brings up the recipe but when you print it it doesn’t not print the recipe. I tried going back & clicking the link & again the recipe appeared but when I did a print preview the recipe isn’t there ??? so not sure what is happening. Just thought you might want to know. I was able to cut & paste the recipe into microsoft word though- I was determined to have this recipe LOL It looks great! Can’t wait to try it THANKS Jamie!

October 29, 2012 at 6:23 am

Hi Jenn,
      Thanks for the heads up. As far as I can tell, on my end things seem to be set up right and the recipe is able to print. Perhaps it is a problem with your computer or printer?

Debbie
    October 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Hubby and I made a special trip to WalMart, right after church today, on a mission to find a turkey breast so we could get this in the crockpot first thing tomorrow morning. The turkey breast is thawing now. Hoping this is as good as I think it’s going to be. We found a frozen butterball brand turkey breast today at WalMart for $1.98 per pound. Ended up getting a 6.67lb turkey breast for about $13.00.

Deborah
    November 9, 2012 at 11:47 am

Jaime, This looks delicious and I think I’m going to try it for Thanksgiving this year for my sweet family. My darling husband who always cooked the traditional Thanksgiving dinner just past away a month ago from brain cancer. :(

This looks fairly simple and something I think I could handle and I am going to combine it with your make ahead mash potatoes. Anything that can be cooked in a crockpot should be easy for me I think. Will let you know how it turns out. :)

Robyn
    November 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Jamie,
    How much chicken broth should be used in place of the onion soup?
    I can’t wait to try this recipe!!

Thanks!

Melanie
    November 14, 2012 at 3:21 pm

This looks so good, I can’t wait to try it! Do you think a turkey ‘london broil’ would work for this recipe? I bought one the other day and then found this recipe and now I am hoping that I can make it!

Amy
    November 16, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Any suggested substitute for the onion soup mix? I’m allergic to onions :/ I can usually find a decent substitute, but in this case, nothing is jumping out at me. Ranch doesn’t sound good in this.

January 28, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I’ve tried dry Italian dressing and it is very good! You just need something savory/salty to mix with the sweet juices.

Nancy
    November 18, 2012 at 9:04 am

I got the ingredient list over the phone from a friend who said this recipe was amazing!! But I bought jellied cranberry sauce instead of whole. :( Is that gonna be a problem?

November 19, 2012 at 6:58 am

Hi Nancy,
      Jellied cranberry sauce will work just fine for you. No worries. :)

Maggie
    November 20, 2012 at 12:52 pm

About how much chicken stock would you recommend using versus onion soup? I am allergic to an ingredient in all onion soup mixes (MSG), and any advice – even an educated guess to this first time Thanksgiving-cooking-novice trying to please her 92 yr grandma would be AWESOME!
    Thanks! Maggie

November 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Maggie,
      If you have some chicken bullion granuals (or one chicken bullion cube), I would add 1 teaspoon to 1/2 cup of water and then mix it with the orange juice and cranberry sauce. Good luck to you Maggie. I bet your Grandma will love it! Happy Thanksgiving!

Marijane
    November 21, 2012 at 8:48 am

It is because of people like you all that my very first turkey breast will be delicious. I will come back Friday and report how it turned out. SO glad you posted this months back so that people had time to comment and ask questions and have them answered. :) Happy Thanksgiving all!

Kathy
    November 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

I’ve read all the comments, looking to see how “non-cranberry” people (like my family) liked this turkey. I love the idea of putting the turkey breast in the crock pot and freeing up my oven. Any other ingredient suggestions without cranberries? Thanks!

shanon
    November 21, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Hello, I am using a stick of butter and white wine!

karen kelley
      September 2, 2013 at 10:41 am

How much wine (in place of cranberry and OJ) did you add with the stick if butter?

Renee S
    November 26, 2012 at 9:18 am

I made this turkey breast for Thanksgiving this year and it was the best turkey breast I have ever had!! I actually cooked an 8lb turkey breast (it just fit in my crockpot)!! Everyone could not believe how moist the turkey was. It is amazing and I will definetely make again and again!! I agree with other comments about thinking wow what a weird combo of ingredients but it really is great!!

jENNIFER
    December 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Just cooked this turkey today and it was amazing. It was so moist. I put it in before church and we enjoyed it a few hours after. Amazing!!!!

Debby
    December 2, 2012 at 5:00 pm

This is too easy too be so good — which is why I love it. Oh the cranberry! I hate onion soup mix but I took a chance. And I could not tell it was there. The gravy was another plus. Never had it come out so Good.

Tamantha
    December 6, 2012 at 6:38 am

Mine is the crock pot right now! Cant wait to see how it turns out!!

Shelby
    December 6, 2012 at 11:47 am

We made this for Thanksgiving this year. Used a 9 lb breast – and it was mostly frozen when we put it in. Took 11 hours on high (we ate at 8:30pm), but it was DELICIOUS! Juciest turkey we’ve ever made. I loved the gravy – hubby thought it was a little sweet. Will definitely be making this again, but we’ll make sure it’s thawed! :o )

Meg
    December 21, 2012 at 6:44 pm

We made this today and it was fabulous and moist! Thank you so much! My whole family gobbled it up:) Merry Christmas!

Darin
    December 31, 2012 at 10:46 am

Im excited to try this recipe. Do I need to alter the cooking time if I am using boneless turkey filets? I dont want them to get too dry. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks@

Tiffany
    January 23, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Could I use another juice other than orange? I have an allergy to oranges.

January 26, 2013 at 8:38 am

Hi Tiffany,
      You can substitute chicken broth for the orange juice. Good luck! Hope you enjoy it.

Karen
    January 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Wow! You are right, this is fabulous. Thank you!

Kristen
    February 4, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Would this work with chicken breasts instead?

February 5, 2013 at 6:41 am

Hi Kristen,
      I haven’t ever tried it with chicken breasts, but my thoughts are that it would turn out pretty great. Let me know if you give it a go. Good luck!

Kristen
    February 6, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I tried it with the chicken, and it worked fine. (I actually cooked it on my “keep warm” setting all day since my new crock pot gets really hot). That being said, neither my husband nor I thought this was good. I followed the ingredients exactly and it was overwhelmingly sweet and had a very very strong cranberry taste. I even tried adding more mushroom soup and chicken broth at the end to try to save it, but it didn’t work. I was really looking forward to trying this, but was disappointed :( Nonetheless, I will keep trying your other recipes (We made the creamy chicken tacos yesterday and they were great)!

Jane
    February 8, 2013 at 8:38 am

Hi Jamie,

I’m trying this today but I just noticed that I bought boneless turkey breast. Will that make a difference?

Thanks,
    Jane

February 8, 2013 at 11:14 am

Hi Jane,
      I haven’t ever tried it with a boneless turkey breast, but my thoughts are that it would still be great. Good luck! Hope it turns out well for you!

Peg
    March 3, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I made this tonight and it was fabulous!! The flavor was amazing, and the gravy was really nice. Also, it was SO moist. It couldn’t have been easier to prepare. A big hit for my whole family. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing this recipe!!