Boy, do I have an easy, summer friendly, keep your house cool, kid friendly kind of recipe for you today. Because I happen to know you like that kind of thing, don’t you. Me too. You and I have a lot in common.
Did you know, that Baked Potatoes can be made in the crock pot. It’s true. I totally tried it, and it works like a dream. Keeps the house nice and cool. Cooks while you are busy doing other things like passing out otter pops to the kids on your block, driving your kids to the pool, weeding your garden, cutting up juicy watermelons…and such.
Make a tasty cheddar sauce to pour over your potatoes and you have a nice little meal on your hands. These would, or course, also be great as a side dish.
Hope you love them!
Baked Potatoes (Crock Pot) with Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Sauce
Time: 10 min. prep + 6-8 hours crock pot cooking
Yield: 7 servings
***NOTE: Cooking the potatoes in the crock pot is of course just a suggestion here. You can cook them in the oven or microwave as well. What ever suits your fancy. The broccoli and cheese sauce taste fabulous, but if you like bacon or diced ham, green onions, or peas…they would be a nice addition to the potatoes as well. End of note. Thank you for reading.8 large russet potatoes
1 bunch broccoli
2 T water
3 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 C milk (I used 1%)
1 C cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 T butter
1. Wash and scrub 8 lovely russet potatoes.
2. Wrap each one up in tin foil
and place them in a large crock pot. Cook them on high for 6-8 hours, depending on how hot your crock pot cooks.
3. When your potatoes are all done, get busy cooking the broccoli and making the scrumptious cheese sauce. Remove the large broccoli stems and chop the broccoli into small pieces.
4. Put the broccoli in a microwave safe bowl, that has a lid. Pour 2 tablespoons of water over the top of the broccoli, cover it and cook it in the microwave for about 5 minutes or until fork tender.
5. To make the cheese sauce, place 3 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper into a medium sized sauce pan. Pour 1 cup milk over the top of the dry ingredients and whisk it all together to combine.
5. Heat the mixture up on the stove top over medium high heat, whisking constantly. Bring it to a boil and then remove it from the heat.
6. Add 1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce and 3 tablespoons butter.
7. Stir it all together until the butter and cheese have melted and the sauce is nice and smooth.
8. Cut open a potato, add a pat or two of butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mash the insides of the potato up with a fork. Add some broccoli and the nice helping of cheese sauce. Serve and enjoy!