Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Holy Cow.

It’s Monday.

Which means a whole new week is stretching itself  right out in front of our very eyes, ladies and gentlemen. That’s kind of how Monday works, just in case you have forgotten, it has been a week since it happened last. I thought I would clarify, for those of you with short term memory problems.

You are most welcome.

This past weekend MyHandsomeHusband and I went to see Wicked for the very first time in our entire lives. It was spectacular layered on top of  spectacular, and I have to tell you that I am very seriously considering spray painting myself green this morning, just to see if I can magically grow vocal chords as powerfully fabulous as Miss Elphaba, and of course in hopes that I might somehow learn how to Defy Gravity.

I’ll let you know how it turns out. Keep your fingers crossed for me, won’t you?

Everyone wants to Defy Gravity, you know. :)

This Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole couldn’t be easier to prepare, my friends.  It can be assembled in about 10 minutes, then bakes in the oven for an hour and a half. You can even prepare it in the morning, store in the fridge and then bake it in time for dinner. It’s flavorful, cheesy, creamy and comforting all in one dish. Hope you enjoy it!

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Time: 10 minutes prep + 1 1/2 hours baking
Yield: 6-7 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE

2 (4.3 ounce) boxes Rice a Roni Long Grain and Wild Rice
1 C white rice (I buy short grain)
1/2 C onion, chopped
2 (14 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
2 C milk
2 C warm water
2 C cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
2 T butter, melted
3 chicken breasts

1. Find yourself two boxes of Rice a Roni Long Grain and Wild Rice. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and pour the contents of the boxes into the pan. (Not the seasoning packet, please).

2. Pour 1 cup of white rice into the pan.

Add 1/2 cup chopped onion,

2 cans of cream of chicken soup

and 2 cups of milk.

3. Pour yourself 2 cups of warm water. Open up both of the seasoning packets (from the Rice a Roni boxes) and pour them into the water.

Give it a nice stir with a fork.

4. Pour the broth-ie water mixture into the pan.

5. Add 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon cracked pepper and 2 tablespoons of melted butter.

6. Mix things up with your handy fork. Be sure you break up the cream of chicken soup and that all of the ingredients become well combined.

7. Take a nice pair of kitchen scissors and cut up three chicken breasts into chunks. Add them to the pan.

8. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the chicken, cover the pan with tin foil and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Remove the tin foil and bake for 30 minutes more.

Serve and enjoy!

Mindy
    August 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I may be blind but how do I email this to myself?

August 31, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Hi Mindy,
      Actually I am just in the process of getting that all set up. Watch for it to come soone.

Jackie Mitchell
    August 31, 2012 at 1:28 am

This is funny – I saw this recipe on earlier this week and thought I should make it right away, but things got away from me and sheesh, who cares, right? Then, because of your software changeover here’s the recipe in my face again – just when I was wondering whether I’d good mom it tonight or go for something lame like scrambled eggs and toast for dinner (or worse, believe me, it gets much worse than scrambled eggs) – so I made it ! It’s in the oven now! YAY!!!

I truly believe that if someone sent me a recipe that uses things I have around every day, I’d be the best mom (and wife) in the world! What’s that? You do??? Oh, that’s right! Okay then! Thanks for saving my hide again J!

Janet
    September 2, 2012 at 12:07 am

I’m making a half recipe of this as we speak! Sort of speak. I’ll let you know how it is.

Tracy
    September 2, 2012 at 1:40 am

I just made this for dinner and it was delicious. I cut the recipe in half and my husband and I ate almost the whole thing. We had unexpected guests while it was in the oven and I forgot to turn the oven down and way overcooked it. It was still great. I also thought it would be good with chopped green chilis added to it.

Janet
    September 2, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I overcooked it also – I didn’t see anything about turning the heat down after taking the foil off. I thought 400 was high – still didn’t see another temp. Am I missing something? I did halve the recipe and think twenty minutes or so would be plenty with the foil off, at say 350.

September 3, 2012 at 12:39 am

You oven may cook faster than mine, try cooking it at 350 or 375 next time. Just be sure the chicken is cooked through and the rice is nice and soft before you take it out.
      Good Luck!

Melissa
    September 4, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Does the chicken need to be cooked before adding it or does it cook while baking it?

September 4, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Melissa,
      No need to cook the chicken, just add it raw. It will bake with the other ingredients while in the oven.

Jennie
    September 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I hate to be a pain in the neck, as you are my new best friend, but… When you say “3 chicken breasts” it would be helpful to maybe give an approximate weight for that. I’m all about measuring and making sure I have the right amount, and some chicken’s breasts aren’t as voluptuous as others, you know? Thanks so much, and love and hugs to you!

September 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hi Jennie,
      Thanks for the feedback. :)

September 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I just want to say thank you. I was in a quandary trying to figure out dinner the day you happened to post this recipe. my whole family loved it and we have made it more than once. :)) Thanks for all the yummy food ideas

Toni
    October 2, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Like most households, I feel we run non-stop all day! I sure love your recipes and the versatility and creative genius they offer! You help me be a hero because now dinner is ready every night instead of Mom standing with the fridge door wide open, wondering what we’re going to eat now that everyone is starving!

Sunday I made your crispy cheddar chicken for the 2nd time. Again, it was a HUGE hit! So moist & tender!! I never know how many I’ll be feeding so I always make plenty of extra. Monday I chopped up the chicken and added it to this dish and also used the cream of chicken gravy. Even though the chicken started out already cooked, it was an enormous hit! THANK YOU for helping restore my family’s faith in me again!!

October 3, 2012 at 7:13 am

Toni,
      What a great idea! So glad your family loved it. Thanks for your kind words. Made my day. :)

Michelle
    November 5, 2012 at 1:08 pm

This looks great! I am going to make if for dinner tonight. I think I am going to add broccoli to it though. Should add some good green leafy to the meal. :)

Paige
    November 12, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hi Jamie,
    I made this recipe using pheasant breast and let me say OMG what an awesome recipe I loved it as well as my boyfriend !
    Thank you!
    I am going to make the Pumpkin Cheese Cake with Carmel sauce for Thanksgiving I can’t wait :-)

Hayley
    February 6, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I made this tonight and it turned out great! Thank you!

Elaine
    February 20, 2013 at 7:00 am

Made this for dinner last night, and it was a hit. You have such marvelous recipes – thanks for all the work you put into feeding us!

Lindsay
    May 20, 2013 at 11:19 am

This is one of my favorite dishes to make. My family loves it!
    We eat it so often that I made up several batches and froze them. It freezes beautifully!! I thawed it out, and then added about 1/4 c. milk to it prior to baking just to make sure it was creamy. It was perfect!

Stacey
    June 19, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I love this recipe, it comes together so fast it really is a life saver on days I don’t want to cook and still have time. I’m in love with wild rice and would love more recipes with it if you have any, besides your soup which is my other FAVORITE! You are the best Jamie!

April
    September 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Love this! Even my kids and husband went for seconds and thirds!!! The only instruction I would add would be to cook the cream of chicken soup and milk together, then dump it in the pan so it’ll mix easier. Awesome and easy otherwise!!

Kristi Pavis
    September 10, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I can’t find short grain white rice. I looked in 2 different stores does it have a special name. Sorry may sound like a dumb question but even the store clerk had never heard of it.

Sherri
      December 7, 2014 at 11:58 am

Look for Bob’s Red Mill in the organic section of the store.