The school year has begun, ladies and gentlemen.
Labor Day Weekend is a thing of the past and kids all across the country have hit the books. It has been a year of firsts in our family as my little twin boys started kindergarten this year, while my oldest (sigh) started high school. When my MyTeenSonMark headed out the door for his first day at the big school, I was saying things like…wow, you look so nice, honey! I can’t wait to hear all about it, you are going to lu-huv high school it’s so much fun! It seems like I went to high school only 10 minutes ago, honestly and truly it does.
I also told him that on my own very first day of high school I tripped down the front steps of the school and bloodied both of my knees while all kinds of really cool, really popular, really totally awesome kids were hanging around. It’s one of my many glorious and classy moments.
My boy Mark just chuckled when I told him about it and said…
“Wow, Mom. I’m surprised you can remember THAT FAR BACK!”
“I didn’t go to school in the dark ages, you know.” is what I’m sure I said.
Which is true, at least it was the last time I checked. When I went to school they made these yummy peanut butter and oatmeal chocolate bars in the school cafeteria. Which proves that I didn’t go to school in the dark ages, because everyone knows there was no peanut butter in the dark ages, right?
These beatutiful Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars are soft and chewy on the inside with a yummy peanut butter filling and a tasty chocolate frosting on top. The recipe makes a ton of bars, and they freeze really well. They would be great to pack in your kids’ school lunches!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Toss 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 cup of butter into your stand mixer, or large mixing bowl.
2. Cream the ingredients together until light and fluffy, about 2 or 3 minutes.
3. Add 2 eggs,
1 teaspoon of vanilla
and 1 cup of peanut butter. Mix until well combined.
4. Into a medium sized mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt. Toss it around to combine.
5. Add 2 cups of old fashioned oats to the dry ingredients. Give it all a nice stir with a wooden spoon
and add it to the creamed mixture, in your mixer. 🙂
6. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and place the dough onto the sheet.
7. Spray your hands with cooking spray
and then press the dough evenly over the pan.
8. Bake the dough at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
9. Let it cool and set up for about 5 minutes. Then find yourself 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter and heat it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so. This will make it easier to spread.
10. Pour the peanut butter on to the bars and then spread it around evenly. Let the bars cool completely. You may want to stick them in the fridge to help speed up the cooling process.
11. In your stand mixer or medium sized mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and 3 cups powdered sugar. Beat until glossy and smooth. Spread it over the top of the cooled bars.
Cut, serve and enjoy!
Recipe from Six Sisters Stuff
Pinterest friendly image below…