Poor Mans Philly Beef and Cheese Sandwich

Poor Mans Philly Beef and Cheese Sandwich

This past weekend I was visiting with my sister in law Erin. She knows that MyHandsomeHusband isn’t a real beef lover. (You may have noticed this simple truth due to the high number of chicken recipes I post, with only a few beef recipes thrown in now and then. What can I say…I aim to please.)

Anyhow, Erin said something to me like “Hey, I know you are always looking for new ways to cook beef. Man, do I have a great recipe that is super fast, easy and wonderful.”

The girl did not lie. She’s really great like that.

This sandwich does indeed come together quickly, 20 minutes from start to finish. The ground beef has a wonderful savory flavor. Melt some glorious cheese over the top, pile on some sautéed onions and pepper, serve it all on a crusty bun and baby…you ‘ve got a great little meal on your hands.

Try it with some Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries and a crisp green salad.

Simple and fabulous. :)

Poor Mans Philly Beef and Cheese Sandwiches
Print Recipe

Time: 20 minutes (love that!)
yield: 8 sandwiches
Recipe from my lovely sister Erin Jepsen

2 pounds ground beef
2 packages Lipton onion soup mix
1 T worcestershire sauce
2 T butter
1 onion, sliced
8 small sweet peppers or 2 large bell peppers, sliced
salt
6 slices provolone cheese
8 ranch rolls, or other crusty rolls

1. Heat up a large skillet. Toss your ground beef into it and break it all up with a spatula.

2. Pour the contents of two packages lipton onion soup mix over the beef

and sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of worshestershire sauce over the top as well. Stir it all in with a spatula and cook the beef over medium high heat until it’s all nicely browned.

3. While your poor mans beef is cooking :) slice up some sweet bell peppers and one nice onion.

4. Heat up another deep skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet. Once it has melted add your peppers on onion. Add a bit of salt and let them cook until golden and wilted, stirring occasionally.

5. Once your ground beef has browned take 6 slices of provolone cheese

and lay them over the top.

Turn the heat off and cover the pan with a lid.

Once the cheese has melted, remove the pan from the stove top.

6. Slice a bun in half and dish some of the cheesy meat onto it.

Cover the beef with some beautiful sautéed peppers and onions and you are ready to serve.

Enjoy!

September 7, 2012 at 10:43 am

sounds GREAT! Thank you and your sis-in-law both.

September 7, 2012 at 10:54 am

You make some simple dishes that I often did when my kids were little but have stopped since they’ve grown up and gone out on their own. WHY? I used to love them too!

loretta brooks
    September 7, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I LOVE your site!! This is another yummy recipe and great for serving a horde of 20 somethings. Thanks!

Linda Gilliam
    September 8, 2012 at 7:40 am

Wow…. looks awesome, love ALL those ingredients!

Gail
    September 8, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I really want to make this but don’t see instructions about draining the beef fat. I can only guess that the beef fat liquid is retained to replace the addition of water that would usually be added when using onion soup mix. Oh, and should I use 80/20 ground beef?

September 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hi Gail,
      I always use 93/7 beef, and so I actually didn’t have any grease to drain. If you are using the 80/20, I would go ahead and drain it. Good luck!

Tessa
    September 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I’m making this for dinner right now and my 3 yr old just came in the kitchen to see what smelled so yummy. I can’t wait to sit down and dig in, it’s looking wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Kelli Bone
    September 10, 2012 at 10:45 am

I made these last night, my kids LOVED them. I used hoggie rolls from the deli, and toasted them with butter and garlic……they were in heaven. SOOOO GOOD!!!

Amy
    February 3, 2013 at 4:13 pm

These are awesome. Great for my family of 7 which love philly cheesesteak.

Brandy
    March 15, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Hi Jamie, do I need to drain the ground beef beef on some of the recipes?

Carrie
    April 18, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I made these last night and they were so so so very yummy! I actually thought they were just as good if not better than a philly! This recipe is a keeper in my house for sure. Thanks so much for sharing!