Can you believe that Christmas Day has come and gone! It all goes by so fast, doesn’t it! I hope you had a great holiday and were able to spend a lot of time with family and friends. We have had a lot of snow here in Utah (I think someone said we have the greatest snow on earth…so I suppose that means it has to snow sometimes!) It turns the world into wintry white, and really is quite beautiful. (That is, if you don’t find yourself slipping and sliding all over the highway in it. Nothing super great about that you know.)
Today, on this cozy winter day I have a very simple to prepare, fabulously tasty breakfast recipe to share with you. This wonderful version of steel-cut oats is made in the crock pot and cooks away while you are sleeping. Sounds like something you and I could both enjoy, doesn’t it! A wonderful, healthy breakfast all ready cooked and waiting when you and your sleepy eyes get out of bed in the morning! That is something to be happy about.
These steel-cut oats are both creamy and flavorful. The combination of orange, cranberry and almonds compliment the texture of the steel-cut oats very well. If you haven’t tried steel-cut oats yet, you are in for a pleasant surprise. Hope you enjoy it!
Overnight Orange Cranberry Steel Cut Oats (Crock Pot)
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE
Time: 10 min. prep + 6-8 hours slow cooking
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe adapted from The Yummy Life
1 C steel-cut oats
2 medium-sized apples, peeled and chopped
3 T brown sugar
2 T butter, melted
1/4 t cinnamon
1 T flax seed (optional)
1/4 t salt
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 t almond extract
1 1/2 C milk
1 C water
1/2 C orange juice
1/2 C craisins (dried cranberries)
1. Find yourself a nice crock pot and spray the inside with cooking spray. (I used a 3 quart crock pot, if you use one that is larger your steel cut oats will cook faster).
2. Add 1 cup steel cut oats.
3. Peel and chop 2 medium-sized apples and add them to the crock pot.
4. Add 3 T brown sugar, 2 T melted butter, 1/4 t cinnamon, 1 T flax seed (optional), 1/4 t salt, 1/2 t vanilla, 1/4 t almond extract, 1 1/2 C milk, 1 C water, 1/2 C orange juice and 1/2 C craisins (dried cranberries). Stir it all together, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
5. Scoop the creamy steel-cut oats into 4 bowls and top them with additional craisins, sliced almonds and milk.