ps_menu_class_0
ps_menu_class_1
ps_menu_class_2

Tasty Teriyaki Chicken (Crock Pot)

This is the kind of recipe every home cook can appreciate. Especially on a busy day when a person finds him or herself face to face with a to-do list so long it could wrap its self all the way up to the moon and back. You know the kind of day I’m talking about, don’t you. The kind where you find yourself with more activities to squash into 24 hours than should be legally allowed. :)

When you find yourself in such a situation eat a big fat chocolate bar, make this Teriyaki Chicken, won’t you? It couldn’t be simpler to put together and tastes wonderful. My whole family gave it two thumbs up. Ah, the sweet satisfaction of feeding a hungry family something fabulous that only took a few minutes to prepare.

Hope you enjoy it!

PS…if you are looking for a Teriyaki Chicken recipe to make on the stove top, give this Teriyaki Chicken and Noodle Bowl a try. It’s one of my all time favorites.

Tasty Teriyaki Chicken (Crock Pot)
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE

Time: 5 min. prep + 5-7 hours crock pot cooking
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

5 chicken breasts (about 3 pounds)
1 1/2  C water
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C soy sauce
1 t granulated garlic
1 t sesame oil (optional, but wonderful)
3 T corn starch + 4 T cold water

1. Spray the inside of your pretty crock pot with cooking spray. (I used a 4 quart crock)
2. Place 5 chicken breasts into the pot. If you are using chicken that has been frozen, be sure that it is completely thawed before you add it to the crock pot.

3. In a separate bowl combine 1 1/2 cups water, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic and 1 t sesame oil. Give it a nice stir to combine and then pour it over the top of the chicken. Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 7.

4. When the chicken is cooked through and easily shred-able remove it from the crock pot and place in on a plate.

5. In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoon of corn starch and 4 tablespoons of cold water. Pour it into the crock pot and stir it in thoroughly.

6. Take two forks and break the chicken breasts up a bit. I don’t like to shred mine up too much, just enough that the sauce has a chance to spread through the chicken.
7. Place the chicken back into the crock pot and stir it around allowing the sauce to mix with the chicken.
8. Cover the crock pot and let the mixture cook and thicken for 30 minutes.

Serve over brown or white rice. Enjoy!

1. Janelle says:

Did you mean low for 7, high for 4? :) Looks fantastic, can’t wait to try it tonight!

1. Jamie says:

Janelle,
      Thanks for catching my mistake! Yes, 7 hours on low or 4 hours on high. :)
      Thanks again,

2. How easy is that? Gotta try it. Yum!

3. Donna Howard says:

On the menu for tomorrow — and since we aren’t doing rice we’ll put it on romaine leaves! Sounds so yummy!!! Thanks for this!!

4. Nancy Long says:

this would probably be good with thighs too. They’re not my favs, but hubby and friends who are coming to visit prefer thighs.

5. I love a good crock pot recipe! Such a time saver during the week!

6. Lexy Sauve says:

Looks so yummy! I will be making this for dinner tonight! Love all your recipes!! Are you a fellow Utah blogger as well? :) I am in Ogden!!

-Lexy

1. Jamie says:

Hi Lexy,
      Nice to hear from someone so close by. :) Yes, I am in Utah as well. Pretty cold here lately, isn’t it!

7. melissa says:

why does frozen chicken have to be thawed first? couldn’t I just cook it longer?

1. Jamie says:

Hi Melissa,
      Sometimes frozen chicken can be added to the crock pot, but in this recipe it really thins out the flavor of the sauce making it pretty tasteless. Good luck! Hope you enjoy it.

8. Nanny2011 says:

Looks delicious and so easy! Thanks for sharing!

9. Tammy says:

Hi Jamie,
    When you say granulated garlic do you mean spices…like garlic salt?
    Thanks!

10. Shelley says:

I made this yesterday. As a working mom anything I can make in the crock pot is a win win in my book. I am not a very good planner so I did use frozen chicken, I just cut the water back to 1 cup and it turned out wonderful. Even my picky 6 year old was so excited to try it and really liked it. This is going into our regular rotation.

11. Sandy says:

Really good and simple, not a lot of fancy ingredients. My kids loved it. I think next I am going to try with low sodium soy sauce.

12. Amanda says:

Looks so yummy! Making this for tomorrow night’s dinner! Thank you for your awesome recipes and great (funny) blog! I get such a kick out of your stories and comments! Cracks me up! ;)

13. Lori Lamb says:

Looks awesome…getting ready to put it in the crock pot, now! I’m also curious about your gorgeous counter top! What is it? Thanks! :)

14. Samantha says:

I tried this and I love it. Mine came out a little soupy but I tried to double the recipe for 10 servings. The taste was lightly sweet and went really great with the jasmine rice I served it over – fed 10 people on less than $15.00! Thank you!

15. cheryl says:

Do you think it would work to add broccoli and carrots to the crock pot? If so, when would it be best to add them?

16. Karen says:

I tried this recipe tonight and added pineapple chunks and red/green peppers – AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

17. Laura says:

This recipe was great! Just what we wanted for dinner! Thanks for sharing.

18. Tweet says:

Everything was tasting great until I added the cornstarch :( After doing so, it completely made the sauce chalky…am I the only one who experienced this? Was it too much corn starch? Next time I will omit this because it was perfect before that addition. BTW I added jalapenos for a lil sweet and spicy kick and it was awesome

1. Jamie says:

Tweet,
      I would guess maybe your cornstarch is a little bit old. Better luck next time. :)

19. R.Sue says:

This has been on our meal rotation since you posted it! Delicious!

20. Robin says:

Trying this tonight! It is in the crock pot and smelling great. I added a little bit of fresh grated ginger, cut back on some of the brown sugar and added honey. I also added about 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. I tasted the sauce before adding it to the chicken and it is delicious! I’ll let you know the outcome! I think I’m going to add some broccoli about an hour or so, before it’s done. As for those that asked about your beautiful countertops, I have the same granite counters, myself. I love them!

21. Bobbi McCoy says:

Wonderful stuff and so easy…I added my own touches…2 TBs apple cider vinegar, sliced water chestnuts and raw onion slices after it is cooked. It was delicious.

22. Susanne Campbell-Vincent says:

I was looking for a chicken crock pot meal, and I stumbled upon your page and this recipe. I made this tonight, and I gotta say- this is the best chicken teriyaki I’ve ever had, and it’s a practically fool-proof recipe (which means I didn’t screw it up!). Thanks so much!

23. Pingback: May Menu Plan 2013
  24. Kali Daniel says:

Made this tonight! It was fabulous. I used 1 can of chicken broth rather than water. I also used frozen chicken tenderloins. My meat hating 23 month old was chomping down.

25. Sara says:

Can I freeze this?

1. Jamie says:

Hi Sara,
      I haven’t ever tried to freeze it, but my thoughts are that it would work out fine for you. Good luck!

26. Katie says:

I have made this recipe several times over the past (almost)year that you first posted this. My kids LOVE it. I just thought I would share that instead of making this in my crockpot, I make it in my electric pressure cooker. I’ve done it both ways, with the exact same results. By the time my rice is cooked in the rice steamer, my chicken is done in the pressure cooker! Perfect for the days (like I usually have) where I forget to be on the ball and start something in the crock pot!

27. heidi says:

this was SO EASY and SO FABULOUS!!! Chicken was so tender and FULL of teriyaki flavor! AMAZING !!!!
    We added pineapple at the end- yummmmmm!!

1. Auth says:

Oh no! What kind of mix did you use? These always come out so nice and moist for me. You might need to ausdjt the baking time from the box. Pull them out as soon as a toothpick comes out clean.

28. Eli says:

Made this last night and LOVED IT! Any thoughts on how to make the teriyaki flavor stronger/more punchie? I loved the way it turned out, but it was definitely more of a gentle/mild teriyaki. I am such a noob about cooking, I wasn’t sure what might work as a good tweak. Thanks!

1. Naresh says:

Hi, I ran across a web site by way of Google and bing wihlst seeking a corresponding make any difference, your internet site showed up, this appears fantastic. I’ve saved to fav the idea in doing my the search engines social book marking.

29. Alex says:

Hi there! I am trying this tonight. I have been a little obsessed with your site for over a month now. I have it bookmarked and have shared it with several people. Everything I have made has been fantastic so I have no doubt this will be too! We love Asian anything so going to serve this over jasmine rice with edamame on the side. Sure the kiddos and hubby will gobble it up! Thanks so much!!!

30. Megan says:

What can I use instead of granulated garlic? And what quantity?

31. Sara says:

Tried this tonight and LOVE it! It’s so easy. We did it with thighs and it worked great but it kept falling off the bone while getting it out of the crockpot. Will be trying breasts next time. Thanks so much for sharing!!

32. recipeadda says:

this one looks very good. i will definitely try this. thanks for posting

33. Patti says:

So whats the difference between granulated garlic and minced garlic? Im pretty sure granulated is a dry spice, but will minced work?