Chocolate Lava Cake (Crock Pot)

Chocolate Lava Cake (Crock Pot)

This Chocolate Lava Cake is absolutely fabulous. It’s served warm, has  a moist top layer, and an ooey-gooey bottom that is rich, smooth and full of chocolate goodness. Add a cool scoop of ice cream and you will be in heaven, my friends. Not only is this cake delectable, but you can put it together in just about 15 minutes. Then it cooks in the crock pot for 2 1/2 hours. It’s great for summer gatherings when  you don’t want to heat up your oven. Make it for Sunday dinner, make it for a friend, make it for your 4th of July celebration!

Let me show you how to make it happen. :)

IMG_5223_edited-1

Chocolate Lava Cake (Crock Pot)

Time: 15 min. prep + 2 1/2 hours cooking
Recipe from Betty Crocker

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 1/4 C milk
1/2 C vegetable or canola oil
3 eggs
1 (3.9 ounce) instant chocolate pudding
2 C milk (I used 1 %)
1 (12 ounce) bag milk chocolate chips
parchment paper
IMG_5123_edited-1

1. Grab a 3-4 quart crock pot and line it with parchment paper. Spray the inside of the paper with cooking spray. The parchment paper helps the cake cook without burning along the edges. You can make it without the paper, just be sure to watch it closely.

IMG_5119_edited-1

2. Find yourself a nice chocolate cake mix and pour it into your stand mixer or medium-sized mixing bowl.
3. Add 1 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup oil and 3 eggs. Beat on low-speed for 1 minutes. Scrape the bottom of the bowl and beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until the batter in nice and glossy.

IMG_5124_edited-1

4. Pour the batter into the lined crock pot.

IMG_5125_edited-1

5. Pour one small box of chocolate pudding into your stand mixer or medium-sized mixing bowl. Add 2 cups cold milk and beat it until the pudding thickens. Should take about 3-4 minutes.

IMG_5127_edited-1

6. Pour the pudding over the top of the cake batter. Don’t stir it. Really, cross my heart and hope to die. It will cook up best if you leave the layers be.

IMG_5128_edited-1

7. Grab a bag of milk chocolate chips and pour the pretty little things all over the top of the pudding. Again, please do not stir it.
8. Cover the crock and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours, or until the top of the cake is set.

IMG_5214_edited-1

Like this. :)

IMG_5217_edited-1

The bottom layer of the cake will be all gooey and soft. Yum.

Double yum.

IMG_5218_edited-1

9. Place some on a plate…

IMG_5219_edited-1

and add a  cool scoop of ice cream or whipped cream right on top.

Enjoy!

Chocolate Lava Crock Pot Cake

Trudy Wood
    May 31, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I have made the Choc lava cake as well as a white chocolate and raspberry version. Both really good.

Rebecca
      June 1, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Ohhh!! Would you mind sharing those recipes?! They both sound amazing!

Ashley
    June 30, 2014 at 11:08 am

Any estimates for the number of servings? Would love to make it for the 4th!

July 2, 2014 at 10:22 am

Ashley,
      It should serve around 12. Good luck to you! Happy Fourth!

Beth
    July 6, 2014 at 9:57 am

I made this for the first time on Friday. The 2 1/2 hours on low cook time was way off for me though. It took 6 hours at least before the top was set. I really am unsure of the exact time. I just kept adding hours to the timer and I even put the temperature on high for awhile. I have a regular crock pot so that can’t be it. It was absolutely delicious though and I will make it again. And again. LOL but people are asking me for the recipe and I have no idea what to tell them in regards to cook time.

Joe
    July 12, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Hi all, crockpot size doesn’t matter but the time does when it’s hi vs low.
    its 2 1/2 to 3 or 3 1/2 hrs on hi and up to 6 -7 hr’s on low.

Hillary
    July 13, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Oh man! I really should have checked the comments. The 2 1/2 hours on low was way off.

jill
    July 16, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Can you make this in the oven to do it faster?

Lexi
    July 19, 2014 at 4:25 pm

So for the second step, (mixing the cake mix with the milk and such,) do I make it like that? Or should i make it the way that the box says to make it? I got the “chewy fudge brownies” and not the dark chocolate fudge, and they have different requirements.

Kelsey
    October 28, 2014 at 10:33 am

This looks delicious! Any best practices for storing leftovers?

October 29, 2014 at 7:40 am

Hi Kelsey,
      Store leftovers in a microwave safe container, in the fridge. It’s best if you warm it up a bit before you eat it. Best of luck. Hope you love it!

Parker
    November 22, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Very sad.
    I ruined Family’s dessert because the time said 2.5 hours on low. Turns out in the comments it had the correct cook time/temp. Looks like I’ll have to wake up in the middle of the night to turn it off or stay up and family doesn’t get dessert. Maybe next time we can try this.
    It looks like it’ll be good