SocialBoost 728×90 ATF

Chocolate Lava Cake (Crock Pot)

Chocolate Lava Cake (Crock Pot)

This Chocolate Lava Cake is absolutely fabulous. It’s served warm, has Β a moist top layer, and an ooey-gooey bottom that is rich, smooth and full of chocolate goodness. Add a cool scoop of ice cream and you will be in heaven, my friends. Not only is this cake delectable, but you can put it together in just about 15 minutes. Then it cooks in the crock pot for 2 1/2 hours. It’s great for summer gatherings when Β you don’t want to heat up your oven. Make it for Sunday dinner, make it for a friend, make it for your 4th of July celebration!

Let me show you how to make it happen. πŸ™‚

IMG_5223_edited-1

Chocolate Lava Cake (Crock Pot)

Time: 15 min. prep + 2 1/2Β – 3 1/2 hours cooking
Recipe from Betty Crocker

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 1/4 C milk
1/2 C vegetable or canola oil
3 eggs
1 (3.9 ounce) instant chocolate pudding
2 C milk (I used 1 %)
1 (12 ounce) bag milk chocolate chips
parchment paper
IMG_5123_edited-1

1. Grab a 3-4 quart crock pot and line it with parchment paper. Spray the inside of the paper with cooking spray. The parchment paper helps the cake cook without burning along the edges. You can make it without the paper, just be sure to watch it closely.

IMG_5119_edited-1

2. Find yourself a nice chocolate cake mix and pour it into your stand mixer or medium-sized mixing bowl.
3. Add 1 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup oil and 3 eggs. Beat on low-speed for 1 minutes. Scrape the bottom of the bowl and beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until the batter in nice and glossy.

IMG_5124_edited-1

4. Pour the batter into the lined crock pot.

IMG_5125_edited-1

5. Pour one small box of chocolate pudding into your stand mixer or medium-sized mixing bowl. Add 2 cups cold milk and beat it until the pudding thickens. Should take about 3-4 minutes.

IMG_5127_edited-1

6. Pour the pudding over the top of the cake batter. Don’t stir it. Really, cross my heart and hope to die. It will cook up best if you leave the layers be.

IMG_5128_edited-1

7. Grab a bag of milk chocolate chips and pour the pretty little things all over the top of the pudding. Again, please do not stir it.
8. Cover the crock and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours, or until the top of the cake is set.Β ***NOTE: Some readers have had a hard time getting this cake to cook in the 2 1/2 hour allotted cooking time. Every crock pot cooks a little differently. You may want to leave yourself 3-3 1/2 hours cooking time. If your cake isn’t cooking quickly enough, you could also turn the crock pot setting to high for the last 15 minutes or so. This recipe takes a little experimenting with, depending on how fast your crock pot cooks.***

IMG_5214_edited-1

Like this. πŸ™‚

IMG_5217_edited-1

The bottom layer of the cake will be all gooey and soft. Yum.

Double yum.

IMG_5218_edited-1

9. Place some on a plate…

IMG_5219_edited-1

and add a Β cool scoop of ice cream or whipped cream right on top.

Enjoy!

Chocolate Lava Crock Pot Cake

Comments are currently closed.

Churchy
    February 23, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Tried this recipe this weekend. Deeelish! However, after 2.5 hours on low setting, only the edge seemed to start cooking. Turned to high at that point & 2 hours later, it was done. Should have started on High temp setting to finish in the time suggested.

Heather
    February 25, 2014 at 5:06 am

My daughter made this for my birthday yesterday and it was the best b-day cake ever!! So glad to have found this recipe. Cook time is a little longer than what is mentioned, but well worth every hour we waited for it. C

Kourtney
    March 4, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Just got the stuff to make this. We love lava cakes. Are left overs good the next day or should I just pitch what’s left?

Rebecca
      March 4, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I thought that the leftovers were great! I was able to make four little containers full to throw in mine and my husband’s lunchbox for the next few days after πŸ™‚ Just pop it in the microwave and it’s good as new! πŸ™‚

Kourtney
        March 4, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Kristal
    March 25, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Just wanted to add, I made this tonight and after all the comments I saw on this I was very hesitant that it would not turn out. But I followed the instructions, except I put my crock pot on medium to start, after 3 hrs, I knew it was cooking but it was still so gooey. So I turned it up to high and left it for another 3 hrs but kept an eye on it. I was so glad I cooked it longer. I tested it by pulling at the parchment paper to see the cake pull away from it, and it did. My family and I absolutely love this recipe. So glad I tried it and will definitely be making this again soon.

????

Kristal
    March 25, 2014 at 5:23 pm

????

May 10, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Oh my goodness!!!! Made this tonight and was a HUGE hit!!!

Trudy Wood
    May 31, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I have made the Choc lava cake as well as a white chocolate and raspberry version. Both really good.

Rebecca
      June 1, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Ohhh!! Would you mind sharing those recipes?! They both sound amazing!

Ashley
    June 30, 2014 at 11:08 am

Any estimates for the number of servings? Would love to make it for the 4th!

July 2, 2014 at 10:22 am

Ashley,
      It should serve around 12. Good luck to you! Happy Fourth!

Beth
    July 6, 2014 at 9:57 am

I made this for the first time on Friday. The 2 1/2 hours on low cook time was way off for me though. It took 6 hours at least before the top was set. I really am unsure of the exact time. I just kept adding hours to the timer and I even put the temperature on high for awhile. I have a regular crock pot so that can’t be it. It was absolutely delicious though and I will make it again. And again. LOL but people are asking me for the recipe and I have no idea what to tell them in regards to cook time.

Joe
    July 12, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Hi all, crockpot size doesn’t matter but the time does when it’s hi vs low.
    its 2 1/2 to 3 or 3 1/2 hrs on hi and up to 6 -7 hr’s on low.

Hillary
    July 13, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Oh man! I really should have checked the comments. The 2 1/2 hours on low was way off.

jill
    July 16, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Can you make this in the oven to do it faster?

Lexi
    July 19, 2014 at 4:25 pm

So for the second step, (mixing the cake mix with the milk and such,) do I make it like that? Or should i make it the way that the box says to make it? I got the “chewy fudge brownies” and not the dark chocolate fudge, and they have different requirements.

Kelsey
    October 28, 2014 at 10:33 am

This looks delicious! Any best practices for storing leftovers?

October 29, 2014 at 7:40 am

Hi Kelsey,
      Store leftovers in a microwave safe container, in the fridge. It’s best if you warm it up a bit before you eat it. Best of luck. Hope you love it!

Parker
    November 22, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Very sad.
    I ruined Family’s dessert because the time said 2.5 hours on low. Turns out in the comments it had the correct cook time/temp. Looks like I’ll have to wake up in the middle of the night to turn it off or stay up and family doesn’t get dessert. Maybe next time we can try this.
    It looks like it’ll be good

Chris
    December 22, 2014 at 11:52 am

I had made this before and thought I had cooked it on high but this recipe said low, it also said to make the cake according to the directions on the box and I used the exact same cake mix but the box said to use water instead of milk. Anyway, yes the cooking time is off on this recipe – I have a crockpot full of chocolate soup which I hope will salvage if I keep cooking it on low for another 3 hours. πŸ™

Heather
    December 31, 2014 at 7:41 pm

The recipe says 2.5 hours on low. Only after seeing it not setting have I just read the comments where it now says high….

Please change the recipe instructions so that others don’t make this same mistake, especially if it’s a special occasion.

rick
    January 2, 2015 at 3:02 am

Just wanted to inform others I noticed the ingredients listed milk twice. Once was 1-1/4 cup and once was 2-cups. So the first ingredient lists 3-1/4 cups total. So if you are not careful, you will use 2-cups of milk and not 1-1/4 cups in the cake mix. This could cause the longer cook time. We cooked it for 3 hours on high and it still was not done so we transferred it to the oven at 3:50 to finish. We now just cook it in the oven at 350 which is faster for 40 to 45 minutes. Insert toothpick halfway from the center to the outer edge and if no cake sticks it is done.

Nikki
    January 3, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I’m not a fan of chocolate cake. But when I saw this on Pinterest I said I had to try this. It came out perfect! I used a 7 qt. crock pot and cooked it for 2 1/2 hours on Hi. The kids love it!! I’m on my second serving since this evening!!

Mary
    January 14, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Do you have to use instant pudding? Has anyone not used the instant? Thanks!

Taylor
    January 28, 2015 at 1:46 am

I made this recipe the night before and put it in the crock pot at 330 am so it would be ready for the next morning for a class party… I read the comments then I’m so glad I did because I had it on low it would have never been done in time so I put it on high hope it turns out OK. Should really change that in the recipe so people know.

Alyssa
    February 4, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Is it possible to use brownie mix instead of cake mix? I have both and was wondering what it would taste like if I switched them out.

Amanda
    February 13, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Making this for Valentine’s tomorrow… my husband will FLIP. πŸ™‚ Excited!

Shannon
    February 15, 2015 at 8:12 am

I made this for Valentine’s Day, and it was amazing. It is important to mention that after reading so many of the comments on this page, I was hesitant to make this recipe. I decided to go on Pintrest and look at what other similar recipes said. All of the other recipes I read said to cook for 2.5 hours on HIGH. I did that, and it turned out perfectly. I actually took another website’s advice and cooked for 2 hours on high and then turned it off and put the lid on for another half hour to an hour while we ate supper. **I think based on so many comments and other similar recipes that this recipe is incorrect. I used a standard Crock Pot brand crock pot and this recipe would have never cooked on low in the 2.5 hours. It would have taken all day.
    Still, with the one adjustment, this by far is my favorite chocolate cake recipe.

bonnie
    February 18, 2015 at 10:54 pm

I thought this recipe was horrible! I was surprised with all that chocolate and it wasnt sweet at all. Needless to say all 6 of my kids took 1 bite and threw it away.

effie
    March 21, 2015 at 11:50 am

I didn’t have parchment paper so lined my crock pot with alumnium foil. Its still cooking Iit turns out ok my kids amd husband are excited.

Shannon
    March 22, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Please change the cook time. It’s 6:55pm, I’ve been cooking on low for 3 hours, after reading the comments I turned the heat up to high! No dessert tonight, the kids are bummed as dessert is not on the menu daily, let alone weekly at our house!! Maybe I’ll have a midnight snack while they sleep!!

Denise
    April 14, 2015 at 2:04 pm

I’m cooking it now, I started it at 10 am and it’s 3:00 pm and still not done. I hope it’s done by dinner time :0(

Trista Taylor
    April 17, 2015 at 10:54 pm

I started cooking it at 9 pm and it is 1 am now. I turned it on high about an hour ago and the edges are getting done so maybe it won’t be too much longer. The smell was so tempting I couldn’t take it anymore so I got a little of the edge..hehe. It is absolutely delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!!! πŸ™‚

Maureen
    November 18, 2015 at 10:40 am

Are you able to just double the recipe to make for a large group? If so, would the cooking time change at all? (I’ve made it before and it’s awesome!)

Tara
    February 9, 2016 at 6:40 pm

I hate the taste of instant pudding. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can use instead??

Kim
      August 24, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Tara, You won’t taste the instant pudding. It mixes with the cake and chocolate chips…its more to help with the texture of the “lava.”

ps_menu_class_0
ps_menu_class_1
ps_menu_class_2
  1. Brooklyn says:

Oh my goodness this looks delightful! I must add to my list to make! I love your blog it is the best.

2. Kat Foster says:

This is wonderful stuff! Not only that but my 6 year old grandson really got into watching the “volcano ‘splode!” and I had to put a step stool by the glass topped slow cooker so he could watch the lava cake progress. It did not disappoint any of us! It is a good 15 on a 1 to 15 scale! Incredible recipe!

3. Mary Ann says:

Oh my, chocolate OVERLOAD… am pinning this!

4. Shannon says:

I love the idea of dessert that is quick to make, doesn’t require the oven, or my attention. Thanks for this fun recipe, so great for summer and entertaining.

5. Gina says:

Perfect!!! That last thing I want to do is turn on the oven right now. This is awesome- thank you.

6. Erin R. says:

I’ve always wanted to try a pudding/lava cake! This looks completely wonderful and BONUS for using the crockpot. I just took some pretzel buns out of the oven and I can’t even go near the kitchen it’s so hot in there. Thanks!

7. Kathy says:

Looks delicious! Love the idea of making dessert in the slow cooker!

8. SarahW says:

We had this for our 4th of July celebration dinner. It was off the charts delish! I turned off the crockpot once the middle of the cake was no longer jiggly (after 2 hours and 10 minutes). The layers of the cake were so tasty! I also added some marshmallows right at the end and my family kept saying, “This is awesome Mississippi Mud!” Thanks for this great recipe that kept my kitchen cooled while the temperatures were scorching at 103 degrees.

9. Emma says:

We’ll definitely have to try this one!!! Sounds wonderful!

10. Niari says:

Jamie, I was wondering if this could be done in a Dutch oven? We have a family reunion to attend at the end if July and I am in charge of dessert and would love to make this while camping.

1. Jamie says:

Hi Niari,
      I haven’t ever tried it in a dutch oven, but my thoughts are that it would work out nicely. I would suggest giving it a trial run before you head to your reunion just to be sure. Good luck! Hope you have a great time with your family.

11. Anne says:

normally i can make all your recipes but this one did not turn out right put every thing in the crock just like recipe said and cooked for 3 hours and still was not done. does this need to go on high ? any suggestions please looks way good !!! would like to try it again with success:)

1. Jamie says:

Hi Anne,
      Thanks for your question. It sounds like perhaps your crock pot cooks a little bit slower than most. I would give it a try on high and see how that works out. Just watch it closely so it doesn’t burn. Better luck to you the second time around!

1. Kashif says:

My husband made this yeaetrdsy. He doubled the amounts of the vegetables and used a pork loin instead. We loved it! The apple cider gives everything such a nice flavor. Thank you and keep up the great work.VA:F [1.9.20_1166](from 0 votes)

2. Donna says:

I just made this tonight and mine required 4 hrs to fully set, so I guess it depends on your slow cooker. Maybe next time, I’ll try it on high. Delicious!

1. Angie says:

I had the same problem… After 2.5 hrs it was still very runny so I just cranked it up to high! Here’s hoping! It looks so delicious!!

12. Heather says:

I cooked this for the 4th of July – I had to make it gluten free for some family members so I followed the recipe exactly the same just used gluten free stuff and it turned out so so good! Super easy too! There wasn’t any left by the end of the night.

13. Kris says:

Do you refrigerate the left overs (if there are any:))? Also…do you leave them in the crock or a separate container? Just curious. This looks DEEE-LISH!!!:) I can’t wait to make it tomorrow! Thank you!!

1. Jamie says:

Kris,
      Yes, you can store leftovers in the fridge. I would put it a gladware container and then pop it in the microwave to reheat it when you are ready to eat it again. Good luck!

14. Terry says:

I really want to try this recipe. Problem is I only have a 6 quart crock pot. Will this work? Should I modify the recipe?

1. Jamie says:

Terry,
      I would imagine a 6 quart crock pot would still work, however I think it would cook quite a bit faster so watch it carefully. Good luck!

15. Jessica says:

This looks SO good, wow! Very similar to a chocolate cake my favorite cafe serves, maybe this is their secret recipe? πŸ˜‰

16. Tina says:

What size crock pot are u using and oval or round?

17. Rebecca says:

Made this tonight for my husband’s birthday. Needless to say, he was a happy, happy man!! He LOVES the molten lava cakes on the Carnival Cruise ships and this tastes JUST LIKE THEM!! Even as some who doesn’t really like chocolate cake, I cleaned my plate! This was our first married birthday together, so I wanted it to be extra special. It definitely was with this one!!

18. Danielle says:

So I made this today for the Steelers game and I put it on at 10:50am and well it’s still cooking and not done! I now have it on high….have you had others with this problem??

19. Susan says:

Is there anyway to make a copy of this recipe? I want to make it but don’t want to copy it on my printer due to all the wasted ink as well as all the other colored photos. Thanks. I’m a little worried the cake won’t cook but I think most people don’t know this is a runny type of cake, not one that should be hard, like a regular baked cake. Am I right?

1. Jamie says:

Susan,
      If you look under the title and before the list of ingredients, you will see the words “PRINT RECIPE”. Click on it and it will take you to a printable page.

20. Pennie says:

This looks amazing! I was wondering if you could use chocolate pie filling pudding instead of instant pudding?

21. Sarah says:

This looks amazing!! We have dairy sensitivities in our house, any thoughts on how to make it dairy free? Do you think almond milk would yield the same results?

22. Susan says:

I made this for a crowd. Everyone loved it. Be careful not to OVERCOOK. After the cook time, make sure you lower the crockpot to low or turn off and turn back on to low about 30 min. before serving. I served with a big scoop of Vanilla Icecream. I wish I had some now! It was so easy and soooooooo good!

23. Ashley says:

The measurments and instructions on my box of cake mix and the ones in your recipe are quite different. Which do I follow?

24. Tracy says:

I have a 6 qt oval crockpot. Do you think I can double the recipe?

25. Kailley says:

We make a cake very similar to this- but we use coffee icecream on top. It’s to die for!! πŸ™‚

26. Ali says:

How do you think this would do with brownie mix instead? What would you do to change the recipe?

1. Jamie says:

Ali,
      A brownie mix would be a bit too thick. I would stick with a cake mix. Best of luck!

27. Vivian Warfield says:

can you double the recipe?

1. Jamie says:

Vivian,
      I haven’t ever tried doubling this recipe, but I think you would have trouble with it not baking correctly if you did. It may burn around the edges before the middle has a chance to cook. Best of luck to you!

28. Madonna says:

Tried this recipe and at first I was a little disappointed, not sure whether it was my crock pot or whether I did something wrong following the recipe but I let it “bake” for a good 2 1/2 hrs on low and was excited to eat when it looked like it still wasnt done. There was no cake feel to it and it was still all very gooey. I almost gave up because recipe doesn’t mention it taking more than 3 hrs.. Decided to put it on high for about 30 mins and then the kitchen finally smelled like cake baking but started to get that burnt smell in the air. I was sure it was game over when I finally turned it off after letting it sit 30 mins on high, it finally looked like a chocolate lava cake! Although it didn’t come out the way I hoped for, with ice cream it was still pretty good. I don’t think I’ll be making it again though. Off to a new recipe πŸ™‚ thanks Jamie for the fun n easy recipe and the pictures really helped

29. nadia Myres says:

Thank you very very much for the recepi,very clear to instructions. I’m doing it right now, and I can’t wait! Thanks!

30. Sol says:

I wonder if instead of using boxed chocolate cake it would be equally good using my own mocha cake recipe… what u think? I really wanna make this for a dinner party tonight but i dont like boxed cake :/

1. Jamie says:

Sol,
      I haven’t ever tried it with a “from scratch” recipe, let me know if you try it and how it goes. Good luck!

1. Emily says:

This recipe soudns great .we will try it! Have not sold our house yet, so we have not moved to Lawrence, KS yet! Just takes time! Hi to all!

31. Carlyn says:

I had the same problem a few others seemed to be having, after the 2 1/2 hours, it still wasn’t set, just a gooey mess (which was still delicious) i just wish it had been more “cakey.”

32. Kelley says:

Could you make the cake using a healthier alternative to the oil such as apple sauce or using the diet soda method? Also, I only have a 6 qt crock pot. Do you think I could double the recipe?

33. Jane says:

I made this to serve to company. It was still liquid after 2.75 hrs….very disappointing. I turned it up to high and cooked another 1.5 and then it was done. I ended up eating it for breakfast. Very good but instructions were not accurate.

34. Vivian warfield says:

I’m sure it depends on the strength of the crock pot. I have a large crock pot and I followed the directions and it was perfect.

35. Melissa B says:

I am cooking this now. A couple questions: I couldn’t find 3.9 oz (“small box”) pudding so I did 2×2.1 oz sugar free puddings. Now I made the pudding part with just over 2 cups of milk. It was REALLY thick, thicker than pie filling. I gloped it into the crock pot with the hopes that was right. It didn’t pie like in your picture. Did I goof this up?

36. Tiffany says:

I couldn’t get the cake to set in the middle πŸ™ It cooked on low for 5 hours and only the sides on one half started to set. My pudding seemed heavier than the cake mix so I think it might have went to the bottom of the pot instead of staying on top of the cake mix. Do you think that could have caused my cake not to work or maybe I did something else wrong?

37. Katrina says:

Made this yesterday….it was SO delicious! I can’t get over it! It actually took my crock pot almost 5 hours to finish. But nonetheless I will be making it again πŸ™‚

38. Kathy says:

This cake was absolutely wonderful! Easy to make too. It tasted even better on the second day. Delicious!!

39. Bethany says:

I cooked on low for 2 1/2 hours like it said, but it never really cooked. I had to cook it for an additional 45 minutes on high. I think next time I would just start at high and look in on it after an hour and a half and go from there. But it did taste really good.

40. Anna says:

AMAZING! Absolutely amazing. I’ve tried so many times to make a lava cake and failed Everytime. This was great! It took my crock pot about 3 1/2 hours, but my crock pot is usually always slower than most to cook. I will be making this very often now! SO INCREDIBLE! YUMM!

41. Sharon says:

DonΒ΄t have a crock pot, how much would baking time be in a regular oven and what would the required temperature be?

42. Rae says:

This was SO good! We made it last night for our Valentine’s dinner and my family loved it. (The parchment paper is an excellent tip.) Thank you so much a wonderfully easy and delicious recipe!

43. Mary says:

I just tried to make this and the problem I had was with the pudding — it never thickened. Any thoughts on what I did wrong? I used the beater Kitchenaid attachment and it was completely liquid after 4 minutes so I switched to the whisk attachment and it was completely liquid after another 4 minutes. I don’t get what I did wrong…

44. ann says:

Mary – was your pudding instant or cook and serve????
    Mine did the same and when i checked I had accidentally gotten cook n serve instead of instant pudding. UGH!! So I put it in a pan and made the pudding the oldfashioned way and pured it hot over the cake mix……I hope this isn’t going to be a total flop. I was making it for my daughter’s birthday….who uses cook and serve anymore?????UGH!!!

45. Churchy says:

46. Heather says:

47. Kourtney says:

1. Rebecca says:

1. Kourtney says:

48. Kristal says:

????

49. Kristal says:

????

50. Jeanette says:

Oh my goodness!!!! Made this tonight and was a HUGE hit!!!

51. Trudy Wood says:

1. Rebecca says:

Ohhh!! Would you mind sharing those recipes?! They both sound amazing!

52. Ashley says:

Any estimates for the number of servings? Would love to make it for the 4th!

1. Jamie says:

Ashley,
      It should serve around 12. Good luck to you! Happy Fourth!

53. Beth says:

54. Joe says:

Hi all, crockpot size doesn’t matter but the time does when it’s hi vs low.
    its 2 1/2 to 3 or 3 1/2 hrs on hi and up to 6 -7 hr’s on low.

55. Hillary says:

56. jill says:

Can you make this in the oven to do it faster?

57. Lexi says:

58. Kelsey says:

This looks delicious! Any best practices for storing leftovers?

1. Jamie says:

Hi Kelsey,

59. Parker says:

Very sad.
    It looks like it’ll be good

60. Chris says:

61. Heather says:

62. rick says:

63. Nikki says:

64. Mary says:

Do you have to use instant pudding? Has anyone not used the instant? Thanks!

65. Taylor says:

66. Alyssa says:

67. Amanda says:

Making this for Valentine’s tomorrow… my husband will FLIP. πŸ™‚ Excited!

68. Shannon says: