I love a good chicken fajita. Smokey grilled chicken, sauteed sweet bell peppers and onions all nestled into a soft flour tortilla. Top it all with a bit of sour cream, cheese and guacamole and life is a beautiful thing, ladies and gentlemen. If you have fresh garden tomatoes to toss in…well then, your life is bliss. Pure bliss! Give yourself a nice pat on the back for laboring so diligently in the dirt.
Garden Fresh Tomatoes of all shapes and sizes will be graciously accepted at my front door step, effective immediatly.
Now, let me show you how easy these fajitas are to put together!
WONDERFUL GRILLED CHICKEN FAJITAS
Time: 30 min. prep + 3 hours to marinate
Yield: 5-6 servings
Recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
1/4 C lime juice (about 2-3 large limes)
1/3 C water
2 T vegetable or canola oil
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 t soy sauce
1/2 t liquid smoke
1 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/8 t onion powder
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 large chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
1 green pepper, sliced thinly
1 red pepper, sliced thinly
1 t soy sauce
2 T water
1/2 t fresh lime juice
salt and pepper
Serve with tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, salsa….etc.
1. Grab a large bowl and a gallon sized ziploc bag to assemble the marinade. I like to put the bag inside a big bowl so it doesn’t tip over and spill out the sides while I am pouring ingredients into it. It’s also nice and sturdy way to store it in the fridge.
2. Juice 2-3 large limes (you’ll need 1/4 cup) and pour it into the bag. Add 1/3 cup water and 2 tablespoons oil.
3. Add 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke and 2 teaspoons soy sauce.
4. Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/8 teaspoon onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
5. Grab 2 cloves of garlic, chop them up and add them to the bag. Mix the ingredients together to combine.
6. Add 3 large chicken breasts to the bag. Seal it tightly and pop it into the fridge to marinate for 2-3 hours.
7. Thinly slice 1 onion, 1 green pepper and 1 red pepper.
8. Preheat your grill to 400 degrees. Set a piece of tin foil out onto it and drizzle about 2 teaspoons of olive oil over it. Place your chicken on the grill and allow it to cook on both sides. Should take about 20 minutes.
9. While your chicken is cooking heat a large, deep skillet up over medium high heat. Drizzle about 2 teaspoons of olive oil into the bottom and add your veggies. After they have had a chance to cook for a couple of minutes add 2 tablespoons of water. Allow them to cook until crisp tender, should take about 15 minutes.
10. Toss 1 teaspoon soy sauce and a squeeze or two of lime juice over the top of the veggies. Let them cook for a couple more minutes.
11. Remove the chicken from the grill and cover it with foil and let it rest for 3-4 minutes. Slice it thinly and serve with the veggies, tortillas, sour cream, cheese, guacamole…what ever you like best.
This is what I looked at while I grilled the chicken for these fajitas. Love this view. It sings a bit of peace to my soul. Hope you are enjoying the summer, everyone! Drink it up, won’t you? We’ll be missing it when it’s time to shovel snow.