SocialBoost 728×90 ATF

Coconut Ice Cream (Almond Joy Sunday)

Coconut Ice Cream (Almond Joy Sunday)

Do feel like Coconut is the new Chocolate? The stuff is everywhere! People are putting Coconut Flavored Syrup in Diet Coke (try it with a little lime, please…it is to die for, truly). Folks are making Coconut Syrup and pouring it all over pancakes and waffles. I’ve seen a fabulous looking Crispy Coconut Chicken I’m dying to try…

and then there is this AMAZING Coconut Ice Cream I am about to share with you today.

It has rocked my world. It is creamy beyond any ice cream I have ever made. The flavor of coconut is gentle and absolutely luscious. You could eat it plain (amazing!), or you could drizzle it with chocolate syrup, a sprinkle of toasted almonds and some shredded coconut and dig into an Almond Joy Sunday of delight and bliss.

If I could, I would marry it.

Or at the very least I am inclined to keep a years supply of the ingredients on hand in case there is a sudden apocalypse and I am forced to live on wheat berries.  I could live on wheat berries, if I knew I could eat this ice cream every once and a while. I could. Really. Cross my heart and hope to die. Which I hope I don’t do if there is an apocalypse any time soon. Maybe you could store some of these ingredients as well. That way if we are the last two people standing…we could share.

I would totally share with you.

Truly.

IMG_6374_edited-1

Coconut Ice Cream (Almond Joy Sunday)

Time: 10 minutes prep + 30 minutes mixing + 1 hour freezing
Yield: 5 cups
Recipe passed on to me by the beautiful Julie Thomson, originally from Ben and Jerry’s

2 pasteurized eggs, beaten
3/4 C sugar
2 C heavy whipping cream
1 C milk
1 (15 ounce) can Cream of Coconut
Chocolate Syrup (optional)
Sliced Almonds, toasted (optional)
Coconut (optional)

IMG_6315_edited-1

1. Grab a couple of fresh, pasteurized eggs.

IMG_6316_edited-1

2. Crack them into a medium-sized bowl and beat them until fluffy.

IMG_6317_edited-1

3. Add 3/4 cup sugar a little bit at a time, beating the ingredients as you go along. Once all of the sugar is added, beat it for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture thickens up just a bit.

IMG_6320_edited-1

4. Add 2 cups heavy whipping cream, and 1 cup whole milk. Beat it for 1 minute.

IMG_6323_edited-1

5. Grab a can of Cream of Coconut. I found this treasure in the Cocktail Mixer section of my local Walmart. I’ve also seen it at a Smiths (Kroger) Grocery Store near my home. It’s should be easy to locate.

IMG_6324_edited-1

Open the can up and pour it into the mixture. Beat it for another minute.

IMG_6325_edited-1

6. Pour the mixture into an Ice Cream Machine. I used this wonderful Cuisinart recommended to me by my sweet friend Julie.

IMG_6326_edited-1

7. Mix the ice cream according to the manufacturers guidllines.

IMG_6330_edited-1

8. Eat the ice cream, or place it in a freezer safe container  and pop it into the freezer if you would like it to become more firm.

IMG_6344_edited-1

Then scoop it up…

IMG_6356_edited-1

drizzle it with chocolate sauce, if you so dare.

IMG_6365_edited-1

Sprinkle it with a few toasted almonds, if you care for that sort of thing.

IMG_6369_edited-1

Maybe even a dusting of coconut? Whatever suits your fancy, throw it right on top, won’t you?

Enjoy!

Debbie Cline
    August 12, 2013 at 10:50 am

I made a similar ice cream a few weeks ago, but added toasted coconut, toasted almonds AND chocolate sauce to the ice cream after it was made, just swirling in the chocolate. It is very delicious, but I did find it to be pretty rich. I think next time, I’ll try using all milk and omit the heavy cream. Hopefully this will help. Also, I cooked the egg/milk mixture to a custard before freezing. It’s a thing I have about raw eggs. 🙂
    Thanks for your many delicious posts!

August 12, 2013 at 11:28 am

I really need to get an ice cream maker! By the way, your Butter Cream Chicken recipe is my absolute favorite! I made it again last night.

Melissa
    August 12, 2013 at 1:32 pm

A dusty ice cream maker has sat in my cabinet since my wedding day (ten years ago). I think – for this recipe – I will actually pull it out. I can’t wait!

Kim
    August 21, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Where do you find pasteurized eggs? I haven’t been able to find them.

Val Crosby
    August 22, 2013 at 9:16 am

My favorite part of my summer was spending so much time with family at the lake. My favorite ice cream flavor is German Chocolate Cake!

trieste
    August 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm

My thinking has gone to homemade ice cream! What I loved most about this summer was the early morning walks full of fresh air, cool temps and beautiful sunrises! (I’m pretty sure there would be zero mental illness if everyone could take an early morning walk!) My favorite kind of ice cream is vanilla with lots of chunks! Chunks of fresh fruit (especially berries) are the best:).

Megan
    September 2, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Yummy! We made this a few days ago. I left the eggs out because they made me nervous and it was still wonderful! I am a big coconut fan and this really hit the spot. Thanks for sharing.

April
    October 13, 2013 at 5:18 pm

This is some of the best ice cream I’ve ever had. I found it at http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2012/11/coconut-cream-pie-ice-cream.html. Includes flaked coconut & crushed graham crackers in the cream mixture. Rich & delicious! All coconut lovers should make this!

Jana Shepherd
    April 25, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I’m not sure, but I think a gently coddled egg will work in place of pasteurized eggs. To coddle an egg, let it come to room temperature (30 minutes out of the fridge should do it, put it in a coffee cup and pour boiling water over it. Let it set for 1 minute then put it in ice water so it doesn’t start to harden up; we just want the scaries dead.

Nancy
    September 7, 2014 at 5:57 am

Jana a coddled egg is a cooking method In cooking, coddled eggs are gently or lightly cooked eggs.

You cannot pasteurize eggs at home. Just google how to coddle an egg.

I use the store bought eggs and haven’t had a problem. With all the raw cookie dough I ate as a kid and all the farm fresh eggs I got from my grandma I should be dead.