Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread

Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread

Do you have zucchini coming out of your ears?

I bet a lot of you do!

I am always looking for new ways to use Zucchini. My cute sister-in-law, Erin emailed me a recipe from Taste of Home last week for Orange Zucchini Bread. I didn’t have any oranges at the time, but enough coconut and lime to last me from now until next Christmas. (Having a small addiction problem with a certain coconut/lime/cokezero combination. It’s an afternoon delight, I can tell you that. Drink at your own risk, ok?)

Anyhow, I adapted the original Orange Zucchini Bread recipe into an awesome, heavenly, fabulous Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread. Man, it is tasty. The bread is moist, sweet and packed with the epic flavors of lime and coconut. The zucchini really makes the bread nice and moist, but you can’t taste it one bit. I’m sorry if some of you re disappointed. 🙂 Truly. If you are looking for a recipe packed with Zucchini Flavor, give these awesome Zucchini Marinara Subs a try. They make a great, quick week night meal.

Now, let’s make some bread, baby. You, me and your zucchini plant of wonder.

Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread from Jamie Cooks It Up-

Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread

Time: 15 minutes hands on + 35 minutes baking
Yield: 1 large loaf and 2 mini loaves
Recipe passed on to me from my great sister-in-law Erin Jepsen, originally from Taste Of Home, adapted greatly by yours truly

BREAD:
3/4 C coconut, sweetened and flaked

GLAZE:
1/2 C sugar
2 T lime juice
1/2 t coconut extract

IMG_7540_edited-1

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into a large mixing bowl or stand mixer place 3 eggs, 3/4 cup oil and 1 1/2 C sugar. Beat the mixture together until well combined.

IMG_7541_edited-1

3. Add 2 teaspoons lime zest, 1 teaspoon lime juice…

IMG_7542_edited-1

and 1 teaspoon coconut extract.

IMG_7543_edited-1

4. Find a nice zucchini. Wash it and shred it up. I opted to leave the peel on, thought it might look kind of pretty. 🙂 You need 2 cups total, toss it into the bowl and give it a stir to combine.

IMG_7544_edited-1

5. Into a medium-sized mixing bowl add 2 1/2 cup flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon soda. Toss them around a bit with a fork to make sure everything is well combined. Add it to the wet mixture.

IMG_7545_edited-1
6. Add 3/4 cup coconut to the bowl.

IMG_7546_edited-1

7. Mix it together, just until all of the flour has been incorporated. You don’t want to over mix, alright? It will give you a dry bread.

IMG_7547_edited-1

8. Take some parchment paper (or wax paper) are draw the bottom of your pans onto it.

IMG_7548_edited-1

Cut the paper out and line the bottom of the pans with it. Then spray them generously with cooking spray with flour added. I love this Bakers Joy, you can also find Pam spray with flour as well.

IMG_7550_edited-1

9. I ended up using a large loaf pan (9 1/2 x 5 1/2) and two small loaf pans (4 1/2 x 3 1/2). There wasn’t quit enough batter for 2 large pans. However, the small pans ended up working better than the large pan. The little slices had more glaze. 🙂 Next time, I believe I will opt for small pans all around.

IMG_7566_edited-1

10. Bake for 20-25 minutes for the small pans, and 35-45 minutes for the large pan.

IMG_7567_edited-1

11. While the loaves are still hot from the oven, mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract.

IMG_7568_edited-1

12. Spread the glaze over the hot loaves.  I spread some up along the sides as well. Make sure the loaves are on a cooling rack with a cookie sheet or some parchment paper underneath to catch the excess glaze.
13. Let the loaves cool just a bit and then you are ready to dig in! Wrap leftover loaves with plastic wrap. They taste even better the second day!

Enjoy!

IMG_7597_edited-1

September 18, 2013 at 7:21 am

I have a giant pile of zucchini on my kitchen counter and I can’t wait to try this bread! However, I’ve never heard of coconut syrup before. Where do you find it in the grocery store? Thanks!

Sandy Garrison
      August 10, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I finally found “Coconut Secret” (ingredients: organic Coconut Sap Nectar.) http://www.coconutsecret.com or call (415)383-9800 and they can probably tell you where the closest store near you is located. Great stuff. I use it like honey, syrup, and just for a sweetener. Thank you for the wonderful recipes.

September 18, 2013 at 7:38 am

Love, love the idea of the coconut and lime in zucchini bread. Such fun flavor combo.

September 18, 2013 at 8:04 am

Hi~
    Can I substitute Coconut oil instead of the extract?

September 19, 2013 at 6:17 am

Jalene,
      Coconut oil won’t give you the same flavor, I would suggest sticking with coconut extract. Good luck!

Mandy DeCola
      June 13, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I just made it with unrefined coconut oil (the kind that has the coconut scent) in place of the vegetable oil, and I left out the extract. It has a definitely coconut flavor without the artificial extract.

Heather Jones
    September 18, 2013 at 10:39 am

This looks great! You should try Vanilla, Lime, Coke Zero a try! It’s darn good stuff.

Tania Gomez
    September 18, 2013 at 10:40 am

Yum I can’t wait!! **coconut oil is for cooking/baking with. It will not have the flavor the extract does.

Karen Wolff
    September 18, 2013 at 10:52 am

What is coconut syrup-have never heard/seen it before. tia!

Debra
    September 18, 2013 at 11:07 am

Where did you get your cute little losf pans?

September 19, 2013 at 6:15 am

Debra,
      I got the pans at Ross. Good Luck!

Debbie
    September 18, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Where do you buy coconut syrup? Or do you make it? Thx.

September 19, 2013 at 6:14 am

Hi Debbie,
      The recipe calls for coconut extract, you can find that in any grocery store usually in the baking aisle. Good luck!
      Thanks,

Jamie S.
        September 19, 2013 at 7:22 am

So, on the glaze the recipe reads coconut syrup. Is it suppose to be coconut extract?

September 19, 2013 at 9:13 am

Jamie,
          Oh my, yes. Thanks for catching my error. Yes, you just need coconut extract for the both the bread and the glaze. Good luck! Hope you love it!

Michele M
    September 20, 2013 at 12:10 pm

The sugar for the glaze is powdered sugar, right?

September 20, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Michele,
      Nope, you just need regular sugar. When you spread it onto the hot loaves, as it cools it makes a heavenly crispy (sugary!) coating. Good luck! Hope you love it.

Margaret Latey
    September 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Jamie, I made this bread and it is the best zucchini bread I have ever made. I’m picking up some limes tomorrow to make some more. Thanks for the great recipe!

September 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Margaret,
      Woo Hoo! So glad you loved it. 🙂 Thanks for letting me know!

Tiffany K
    September 27, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Has anyone tried making this as a muffin? If so, what is the approximate baking time?

Kirstin G
      August 12, 2014 at 9:35 am

I made the recipe into 12 regular size muffins and a 3X6 mini loaf. The muffins took about 22 minutes and the small loaf about 40 minutes.

Cheryl
    September 27, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I just made this using summer squash instead of zucchini and baking it all in a bundt pan. It was fabulous! Thanks for the recipes 🙂

Kristin
    October 1, 2013 at 11:56 am

Wow I just made this!! Fabulous!! best use of zucchini ever!

Amy
    October 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Tried this today. Luved it!!! Great use for all the abundant zucchini right now!!

Christina
    July 6, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Can you freeze it with the glaze?

July 6, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Christina,
      Yes, you can freeze it with the glaze added. Best of luck!

Momo
    July 18, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Added I cup raspberries! Yum!

Reggie
    July 20, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Wow. Lime Flavor makes this zucchini bread amazing.

Brenda
    July 21, 2014 at 10:07 am

I’m rather intrigued at the coconut, lime & coke drink. Do you have the recipe for that?

July 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Hi Brenda,
      I don’t really have a “recipe” for it. I just pour a bit of coconut syrup (or coconut extract) into my coke zero and then squeeze about 1/8 of a lime into it as well. Hope this helps!

July 22, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I am going to try this swapping out the lime juice and zest with orange. I dont care for lime, but this recipe sounds great otherwise. Yum

July 22, 2014 at 11:29 pm

I’ve made this 3 times with the surplus of zucchini from our garden. It is so good. It will be a staple in our house for sure. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe.

Gina Toomey
    July 23, 2014 at 7:32 am

I made this last night and let me tell you….it was amazing! loved the flavor of lime; tastes like summer. will use this recipe over and over! THANKS A BUNCH!!

ashley
    July 30, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Just pulled this out of the oven and put the glaze on. One mini loaf is almost gone already. YUM!!!!!

August 15, 2014 at 9:04 am

can I use unsweetened coconut?

August 20, 2014 at 6:45 am

Barbara,
      I haven’t ever tried it with unsweetened coconut. I believe the sweetened variety would work out best for this recipe.
      Good luck to you!

Kim
    August 23, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Made it today – so delish! Thanks for the recipe!

Lynn
    August 25, 2014 at 9:28 am

Best Zucchini Bread ever , everyone loved it!

Kathy
    August 25, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Jamie,
    I made this bread over the weekend and it was delicious!! Thank you for sharing!!
    Kathy

Carolyn Tuttle
    August 25, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Just finished making these beautiful little loaves! Wonderful for our annual bake sale and something different! I am trying these for the first time and oh my gosh, they are absolutely to die for! Will be making many many more of these little jewels! Best ever! Thanks for sharing!

September 19, 2014 at 1:36 am

I substituted 1/4 cup of the oil with applesauce. I made six small loaves. I think I will try using powdered sugar next time for the glaze, as it turned out a little grainy. I cooked mine 35 minutes. I would rate this recipe a 7.5/10

September 19, 2014 at 6:39 pm

My family says that if I use powdered sugar for the glaze next time it will be an 8/10. It is a rare bread that I don’t prefer warm. I liked this better after it cooled off and also liked it refrigerated.

Aimee
    October 16, 2014 at 11:09 pm

This is one of the most fabulous zucchini bread recipes we have ever had at our house. I have made it twice already, in a week and a half, and it is eaten within a day of making it. The only thing that I changed was I added a little more juice to it because my hubs likes the strong lime flavor. They turn out so pretty too, just love them! I plan on making it again tomorrow! Thank you for sharing, this is definitely a keeper!

Sherry
    June 15, 2015 at 2:58 am

Anyone know if this can be made gluten free? Recipe sounds great!

Bridget
    September 4, 2015 at 11:21 am

Made this yesterday and it was soooo good! I think I will try the glaze today with powdered sugar. Thanks for all the great recipes. I have never had one of yours that we didn’t like 🙂

Chelsea
    February 24, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Had a friend make me some, and I loved it! So I had to make some more for myself, just had the first slice, and it was amazing! Thanks for a great recipe.

Gail
    September 18, 2016 at 9:58 am

Can you add white chocolate chips to this?

September 20, 2016 at 7:06 am

Gail,
      I haven’t ever tried it with white chocolate chips, however it sounds like it would be super yummy. I would suggest tossing the white chips in a bit of flour before adding them to the batter, to ensure they don’t sink to the bottom of the pan and burn. Let me know if you try it and how it turns out.
      Best,

Susan Saxton
    August 4, 2017 at 7:07 am

A neighbor made this for me and I had to have the recipe. Been making it ever since each summer. Love how summery it is in test! Was also thinking this would be good with lemon for those who don’t care for lime or just want to switch it up. Beautiful texture on this. Taking some to work this morning!

August 16, 2017 at 1:30 pm

I just found this recipe while I was looking for zucchini recipes. This is the best cake!
    Easy to fix and the extract really adds to the flavor.

Gayle Trunfio
    August 28, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Just found this recipe while searching for coconut lime recipes. Perfect timing as I need to use up the zucchini. Thanks!