Tropical Fruit Smoothie (with a secret ingredient)

Tropical Fruit Smoothie (with a secret ingredient)

Winter time getting you down?

Do you feel like sitting on a warm tropical beach and letting a few cascading waves tickle your toes while you drink a fruity concoction of bliss.

Me too.

I don’t know if you are near a beach or if you are about to drive through rush hour traffic in a snow storm (one of lifes true pleasures)…whatever the case may be…make this Tropical Fruit Smoothie folks. You’ll feel better for it! It’s packed with the tropical flavors of Pineapple, Mango and Orange. (And some Peaches and Strawberry, though I am aware the two aren’t exactly “tropical” they make a nice addition. Just go with me on this on, would ya?)

This smoothie is thick and creamy!

It’s sweet and tangy!

A little bit of sunshine in a cup. 🙂 Just what a person needs on the third week of January.

Let’s make it…you, me and your Winter Snow Boots of Wonder.

Tropical Fruit Smoothie from Jamie Cooks It Up!

Tropical Fruit Smoothie

Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 6 (1 cup) servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

***NOTE: This smoothie is best served immediately***

4 C frozen fruit (pineapple, mango, peach and strawberry)
1/2 C plain Greek yogurt
1 T sugar
dash salt
1 1/2 C milk (I use 1%)
1 1/2 (.13 ounce) packages Orange Crystal Light

IMG_1543_edited-1

1. Grab some frozen fruit. I have been loving this mixed fruit blend by Dole. I haven’t seen it at Costco, but love to buy it at Sam’s Club or Walmart.

IMG_1544_edited-1

Inside you will see strawberries, pineapple, mango and peaches. Yum.

IMG_1545_edited-1

Lovely, and yummy. Place 4 cups into your blender.

IMG_1546_edited-1

2. Add 1/2 cup Greek yogurt. You can use regular yogurt if you choose, but the Greek stuff makes this smoothie turn into some kind of ice cream like treat. Truly. It really makes it nice and thick. Go Greek, if you can. 🙂

IMG_1547_edited-1

3. Add 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 tablespoon sugar and a dash of salt. Now, for the secret ingredient that gives this smoothie a lot of pizzazz…

IMG_1548_edited-1

4. Orange Crystal Light, ladies and gentlemen. It’s going to pack this smoothie with flavor like you wouldn’t believe. I put it in smoothies all the time, and my kids feel like they are getting the best treat of their life. Almost. Excepting chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven. Crystal Light in your smoothie can not take the place of  fresh cookies. But to it’s credit…not much can, right. 🙂 For those of you looking to buy some Crystal Light, please know that Walmart carries a generic brand that is just as good and has more flavors to choose from. (Mango, Lime and Raspberry Ice are more of our favorites).

IMG_1549_edited-1

Take one of the little pouches out of the box…

IMG_1550_edited-1

and pour it right into your blender. Add half of another package and then blend away, baby.

IMG_1551_edited-1

Look at that thick, creamy goodness! Delicious!

Serve immediately and enjoy!

Tropical Fruit Smoothie from Jamie Cooks It Up

PML
    January 22, 2014 at 10:09 am

I have the same blender! I have been using Crystal Lite in my smoothies for a few years now. Best. Idea. Ever. My kids think they are a dessert, and they pretty much taste like one. We’ll have to try this variety soon. Thanks!

January 22, 2014 at 10:28 am

What is the best kind of blender to get?

January 27, 2014 at 8:19 am

Stef,
      The Ninja is absolutely fabulous. Don’t know what I would do without it. You can get it at Costco and it comes with a small pitcher and a full sized pitcher. Good luck!

January 22, 2014 at 10:42 am

This sounds delicious!
    Pinning!

Cari
    January 22, 2014 at 3:08 pm

This is a Ninja – I have one too. They’re awesome!! Really get the job done. The only issue I have is sometimes the top of the blade piece doesn’t match up with the lid, and the blade spins all over, causing it to shake (and scrapes on the inside of the lid).

PML
      January 22, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I have had that happen a few times too. Also the handle can get full of junk in the dishwasher if you have a really dirty load. I have the most dumbed down version you can get. It is from WalMart and is around $90. I have had it for over 2 years and we use it 3-4 times a week, if not more, and it is still going strong! My sister just got one too because I love mine so much.

January 22, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I could have smoothies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This looks great!

Tania
    January 22, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Looks delish I will be trying this soon! We do not consume artificial sweeteners though because they are toxic. I did read there is a Crystal Lite with sugar & stevia. I’d recommend that over artificial sweetener in this smoothie.

Gayle
    January 23, 2014 at 3:28 am

Looks tasty!! Think we’ll try today!!! 😀 Also on a side note, since it was mentioned, I just have to share this yumminess I learned from my sweet sister in-law: add to taste, of the pitcher size packet, of raspberry lemonade drink mix Walmart Great Value brand ONLY to a tub (the bigger sized tub, 16oz??) of whipped cream cheese & spread on bagels. To die for!!! Do NOT use Crystal Light, I did once & it tasted like fake sweetener so bad that I couldn’t eat it & had to throw it out! 🙁 $$

January 27, 2014 at 8:18 am

Gayle,
      That sounds awesome! Thanks for the idea.

Erin R.
    January 23, 2014 at 11:55 am

Oh, I forgot about frozen fruit smoothies! I used to do them all the time with blueberries and buttermilk, they tasted like cheesecake. Great idea with the Crystal Lite. Thanks!

January 31, 2014 at 5:41 am

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! It looks wonderful! And perfect for kiddos too. I can’t wait to try it. I shared it on my blog today with a link back 🙂

Jen Anderson
    January 31, 2014 at 8:46 am

I have made these a lot now and I eat one almost every day. They are magical!! The perfect sweet and healthy treat. Thank you so much for sharing.

February 12, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Hey There. I found your weblog using msn.

This is a really neatly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and
    return to learn more of your useful information.
    Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback.

March 2, 2014 at 9:48 pm

This website was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I
    have found something that helped me. Thank you!

April 20, 2014 at 4:21 am

Ich bin seit langem auf der Suche nach einem günstigen Mixer von Vitamix aber dummer weise kann ich nichts schickes finden.
    Weiss Jemand Rat? Das Gerät soll nur Gemüse mixen.

May 31, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Hello, I want to subscribe for this weblog to obtain latest updates, therefore where can i do it
    please help out.