Last weekend I found myself at a family party. I love a good family party, don’t you? Lots of wonderful people and lots of wonderful food. Two of my very favorite things in all of this wide world. We had a great day catching up with everyone and enjoying each others company. My mother in law made a fabulous salad that was both unique and super yummy. I couldn’t help but snag the recipe to share with all of you.
Fritos Chili Cheese and Corn Salad is loaded with southwestern flavor and appeal. The creamy dressing is packed cumin and chili powder. I added a bit of fresh cilantro and lime to the recipe and it added a great freshness to the dish. But the best part? The Fritos Chili Corn Chips, man. They are the real star of this recipe, adding a wonderful crunchy texture to the creamy corn and veggies.
This one is a keeper, guys. You could even make it as main course salad by adding grilled chicken and black beans.
Fritos Chili Cheese and Corn Chowder
Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
Recipe (lightly adapted) from lovely Margaret Gittins, passed on to my by Jill Eskelson Lee
3 (15 ounce) cans corn, drained
4-5 green onions, chopped
4-5 mini bell peppers, chopped
4 small tomatoes, chopped
1/2 C cilantro, chopped
1/2 a lime, juiced
1 C mayonnaise (full fat mayo is best here)
1/2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1 1/2 C cheddar cheese, grated
1 (14.25 ounce) bag Fritos Chili Cheese Corn Chips
1. Grab three cans of corn. Drain them well and place the contents into a large mixing bowl.
2. Slice 4-5 green onions and toss them in the bowl.
3. Chop 4-5 mini bell peppers and add them to the bowl. I love theses little peppers. So colorful and cheerful. Those colors do a girl a world of good, especially in the bleak mid winter.
4. Core and chop 4 small tomatoes, add them to the bowl.
6. Chop 1/2 cup cilantro and add it to the bowl.
7. Add the juice of half a lime to the bowl as well and stir it all to combine.
7. In a separate, small mixing bowl place 1 cup full fat mayonnaise. Trust me here. It’s not as good with light mayo. Some things just aren’t dang it. I’d go for the full fat version if I were you. Or if I were me. 🙂 Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
and 1 teaspoon chili powder. Give it a nice stir to combine.
8. Scoop the mayo mixture on to the vegetables and stir it well making sure all those pretty veggies get covered.
***Please Note: If you are not planning to serve the salad right away, just cover the bowl with plastic wrap once the dressing is mixed in and pop it into the fridge. You don’t want to add the corn chips until just before you serve it. Unless you like soggy corn chips, in that case you may add them when ever you choose. ***
9. When you are ready to serve add 1 whole bag of Fritos Chili Cheese Corn Chips.
There they are in all of their chili cheese glory. Yum. Stir them all in to combine.
Serve and Enjoy!