The Weekend Report: It Has All Expired

The Weekend Report: It Has All Expired

Five days a week, smack dab in the middle of the afternoon my quiet house melts into chaos the second these 5 children of mine come barreling through my door… backpacks full of homework, in terrible need of a snack and heads bursting with things they have got to tell their mother. It seems they want to tell me these important things as quickly and as loudly as they can, all at the same time. I find myself saying things like “Yes, oh really!” and “Wait just a minute, your sister is in the middle of her story” and “Please don’t spill the milk” and “Don’t cry, dear. Things will look up tomorrow” and “Doesn’t anyone want to eat a scrumptious carrot stick? Tastes great less filling…” and “Wow, you are kidding! How cool!” and “Yes, I can pick you up if you stay late tomorrow” and…well. It can make a girls head spin now can’t it. Sometimes I just sit at the edge of the counter and try to drink it in. A person needs to take a seat when managing 5 conversations at once.

Fridge

Yesterday while the Whirlwind of Information was being tossed around my kitchen I noticed my little Aaron kept getting into the fridge…

pen in hand

and performing some kind of magic trick on many of my jars and bottles.

what

“This is so cool, Mom! Watch I am going to make the expiration date disappear. It’s an awesome magic trick! Just color over the date with a dry erase marker, blow on it…

Aaron
wipe it with a paper towel…

smile

and you will never ever…like never EVER see the expiration date again, like in your whole life, Mom. Really. Cool right!”

And it was cool until I realized that he had taken the expiration date off of pretty much every jar, container and and jug in my fridge.

Mark

And then we all laughed a hearty laugh and chuckled a lot at his quirky cuteness. And I didn’t even care if I never knew for the rest of my life if today’s milk was expired or not.

Because the honest truth is, the 3:00 chaos along with the Whirlwind of Information blowing around my kitchen isn’t going to last forever. The months, weeks, days and minutes that I get to keep all of these children of mine living here, under one roof, are ticking by you know.  I can see that expiration date inching its way into my life…a little too fast for my taste. Especially with my oldest kids. (Can you believe my oldest son is a Junior this year! I know, right. How did that happen!)

I’ll take the 3:00 madness, the Whirlwind of Information, the spilled milk and especially the fabulous quirky cuteness. I’m not sure what I’ll do with myself when…

It Has All Expired.

(Maybe, I will finally be able to keep that blasted Stainless Steel Fridge of mine clean…don’t hold your breath. That thing is a bugger.)

Katie
    February 1, 2014 at 12:35 am

Oh, how I love it! What a great story and a great perspective. Drink it in.

Pam
    February 1, 2014 at 8:45 am

Very well said. Having been there, it expires pretty fast. Enjoy each day!

February 1, 2014 at 10:45 am

This is a precious story! I love that you stopped to photograph it and record your thoughts! My children are grown and now I enjoy the antics of grandchildren when they come by! Have a nice weekend!

Sissee I
    February 1, 2014 at 11:22 am

And the electric feeling that comes into the house and the outdoor smells that come in with the children…. Yes, I remember it well, and your descriptive words put me right into your kitchen with you… Go for you, to realize it doesn’t last forever, so enjoy TODAY! Hugs!!

Sissee I
    February 1, 2014 at 11:25 am

Good for you Aaron, keeping mom up-to-date on the “new” things of this ever changing world!! Hugs

Cathy Z
    February 1, 2014 at 11:47 am

What a wonderful post and so right on!! My oldest is moving out at the end of the month and I am full of conflicted feelings about it all. I am so happy he is moving along well with his life and I am so going to miss the daily contact with him. Someone told me once…enjoy the children no matter what. Once they are born the days are long but the years are short.

February 1, 2014 at 12:02 pm

My mom told me last night, “If it still comes out of the container when you squeeze, it’s probably alright to eat.” Oh my goodness. It’s miraculous we never got food poisoning growing up. HA!

February 1, 2014 at 12:03 pm

And in all seriousness, WHY do they have to grow up so quickly? I’ve learned this lately. I feel like I’ve blinked and my babies are 4.5 and 2. I was just a newlywed yesterday and now I have these BIG children in my home. Babies don’t keep.

February 1, 2014 at 12:11 pm

With 5 kids nothing in your fridge will ever expire! (Said a mom of three who could clear out the fridge on a regular basis!)

Make these memories while you can. I am an empty nester and they grow up way too fast!

Lovely post. <3

PATTYL
    February 1, 2014 at 12:14 pm

WOW I never read a truer statement. The house does get lonely and quiet when they are gone. Enjoy every minute of every day. Live every day to its fullest because we’re not promised tomorrow!! Your blogging and recipes are both wonderful. Thank you for both!!

barb dewitt
    February 1, 2014 at 12:56 pm

What an adorable story! Yes, enjoy every moment, it gets really quiet when they leave home. But…the joy of seeing them as adults is just as precious!

February 1, 2014 at 1:36 pm

This is one of the funniest things I’ve read in a long time! I love it when kids do things like this….of course I can laugh, because now I’m the grandma!

Doreen Buckmore
    February 1, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Enjoy every second of each day! Before you know it they will be off to college or whatever and the house will be quiet like mine!!

February 1, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Such a sweet story! Kids do grow up so fast!

Carey
    February 1, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Enjoy it while it lasts! My house is always clean, my laundry is always done and I am bored out of my mind! My baby is in college now, my oldest lives 1000 miles away and I miss those days terribly. Glad you recognize what you have now. :)

Deanna
    February 1, 2014 at 8:27 pm

What a great and very sweet story! I have an almost 4 year old girl and a 10 month old boy. Sometimes in the chaos I need to remember to just soak it in and enjoy these moments b/c you are so right that they will tick by faster than we’d like! Thanks for the encouraging and sweet story! LOVE reading your blog all the way over in Georgia! :)

Annie
    February 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I know what you mean! My oldest is a senior in high school, and I dread the day when he goes to college. I would go back when my boys were 5 and 7 in a heartbeat!!

February 2, 2014 at 8:58 am

It sounds like fun, to me!

I have a stainless steel stove… NEVER AGAIN.

Ruth D
    February 2, 2014 at 11:24 am

My oldest got married in September and my youngest started Law School last summer so I really know what you’re talking about. It’s a mix of knowing you did a good job raising your kids and missing the schmutz. Their rooms still look the same as when they left them 8 years ago so I still have a place to go that has their essence.

Val Crosby
    February 2, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Oh how I LOVE and MISS that cute family of yours!!! Cutest kids in the whole world (hands down!!) What a spectacular bunch of kids to go with their spectacular mother!

Brandon's mom
    February 4, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Thank you! I love repurposing glass jars for gifts and for food storage & have always been annoyed by the “original” expiration date, that’s on the glass! This is the perfect solution! I have tried everything and this was amazing!