Often times, dear reader…when I sit down to my computer screen bursting with food photography, I am at a loss as to what words I might pull out of the air and organize in a way that would encourage you sufficiently to make (and ultimately taste, of course!) the recipe at hand. I am hoping that sometime in my lifetime, Google, or some other really intelligent organization, might come up with Internet Tasting capabilities. Wouldn’t that be cool. Imagine if I could offer you a bite, like from my screen to yours. You get what I am saying here? It would be revolutionary, wouldn’t it! This is one of the grand wishes of my heart, truly. A girl can dream, yes?
Until then, you are just going to have to take my word for it. A lame comparison to actually getting your own bite, I admit, but one that will have to do.
This fabulous Almond Crusted Cinnamon French Toast with Strawberries and Butter Cream Syrup is absolutely and utterly DIVINE! The inside is chewy and flavorful. The outside is crispy with toasted almonds and corn flake crumbs. Topped with fresh strawberries and the Butter Cream Syrup I posted yesterday…it’s a dish that’s full of bliss, my friends. Creamy, crispy goodness. Drink it in with your eye balls today. Maybe I could offer you a bite, screen to screen in a few decades. 🙂
Now, let’s make show you how to make it happen.
Almond Crusted Cinnamon French Toast with Butter Cream Syrup
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 10-12 slices
Recipe adapted from The Chew, passed on to me by my wonderful and dear friend Heather Peterson
1 loaf french bread (Wal-Marts french bread is awesome)
1 C milk
3 Tb sugar
1 Tb vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 C cornflakes cereal
1 1/3 C sliced almonds
2 T butter
1. Slice 1 loaf of french bread into 10-12 slices, about 1 inch thick.
2. Into a 9×9 pan crack four eggs. Whisk them around with a fork until the are frothy. Add 1 C milk, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a dash of salt. Whisk the mixture together until well combined.
3. Into a pie tin or small pan pour 4 cups corn flakes. Take a measuring cup and use it to crush the cereal into smaller pieces. Add 1 1/3 cup sliced almonds and stir to combine.
4. Heat a large skillet up over medium high heat. Melt about 1 tablespoon of butter over the top.
5. Dredge each piece of french toast into the cinnamon batter…
and then into the almond coating. Make sure to press the coating into the bread. You may have a little bit fall off when you are transferring it to the skillet. No worries there.
6. Allow the coated french toast to cook for about 5-6 minutes per side. (Make sure your skillet isn’t up too high, you want the inside to have a chance to cook through without the outside getting too dark. Patience is the key here).
When the bottom is of the bread is golden brown, flip it over and cook on the other side. Remove from the pan when the inside is cooked through. (You can check this by cutting into one of the slices with a fork…you know, right while it is on the skillet. Just give it a taste test or two or three…to make sure it’s good.)
Glorious! Serve them on a plate.
Slice up some fresh strawberries…
and layer them onto the french toast. Oh, baby…this is going to be a morning to remember.
Drizzle some butter cream syrup over the top, throw on some whipped cream and ladies and gentlemen, life will be bliss.
Of this I assure you. 🙂
Enjoy! (See you at the gym…)