Sweet and Savory BBQ Meatballs

Sweet and Savory BBQ Meatballs

My sister-in-law Erin mentioned to me the other day that she has been making some fabulous meatballs using our standard family recipe for Meatloaf. (Click here to see that fabulous recipe). She gave me a play by-play of how to make the meatballs happen I gave it a go this week.

It was the right thing to do, ladies and gentlemen. My family and I absolutely loved them. I served them with green peas and baked potatoes (click here for a tutorial on how to make the best baked potatoes of your life.)

These crispy meatballs are dripping with a sticky sweet and savory sauce. The inside is moist, flavorful and fabulous. They come together very quickly, you only need about 15 minutes prep and 40 minutes baking time to make them a reality.

Make ’em and love ’em, guys. They are a family pleasing kind recipe! Even MyHandsomeHusband (self-proclaimed hater of red meat) loved every last bite. They really are great.

Thanks for the idea, Erin! ­čÖé

Sweet and Savory BBQ Meatballs from Jamie Cooks It Up!

Sweet and Savory BBQ Meatballs

Time: 15 minutes prep + 40 minutes baking
Yield: about 48 meatballs
Recipe slightly adapted from my awesome sister-in-law Erin Jepsen

MEATBALLS:
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 sleeves saltine crackers
2 pounds ground beef (I used 9% fat/91%lean)
3 eggs
salt and pepper
3 Tb honey mustard
1/2 C ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

SAUCE:
1/4 C ketchup
3/4 C sweet baby rays
1 C brown sugar

IMG_2723_edited-1

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Chop an onion up into fine pieces. Now, just a word of caution here. Chop the onions much smaller than the onions you see in this picture. Mine ended up being a bit too big and I wished I had taken the time to chop them in to fine little pieces.

IMG_2727_edited-1

3. Pour 1 and 1/2 sleeves of saltine┬ácrackers into a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Crush the crackers with a rolling-pin…

IMG_2728_edited-1

until they are all crumbly and wonderful.

IMG_2729_edited-1

4. Into a large mixing bowl place the cracker crumbs, 2 pounds ground beef (I use 9% lean), 3 eggs, salt and pepper, 3 Tb honey mustard, 1/2 C ketchup
and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce. Get your hands down into the bowl and mix all of the ingredients together well.

IMG_2731_edited-1

5. Line 2 large cookie sheets with tin foil and spray it with cooking spray. Roll the meat into 2 inch balls and lay them out evenly on the trays. (Look at those gigantic onions…do you see what I am saying here. Chop them up into teeny, tiny pieces won’t you?)
6. Bake them in the oven for 20 minutes.

IMG_2734_edited-1

7. While the meatballs cook away, combine 1/4 cup ketchup, 3/4 cup Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and 1 cup brown sugar.

IMG_2736_edited-1

8. When the meatballs have a nice, crispy, ┬ádark brown exterior take them out of the oven…

IMG_2740_edited-1

and drizzle about 2 teaspoons of sauce over each one. Pop them back in the oven for 15 minutes to allow the sauce to heat through and get all sticky and marvelous.

Serve and enjoy!

Sweet and Savory BBQ Meatballs from Jamie Cooks It Up

Marie
    March 5, 2014 at 6:34 am

Could you substitute ritz crackers or bread crumbs instead of the saltines? Thanks for the recipe!

March 5, 2014 at 7:10 am

Marie,
      Yes, either of those would work out great. Good luck!

Melanie
    March 5, 2014 at 10:39 am

Do you think these would taste ok with ground turkey? I have a whole freezer full.

Amanda
      March 7, 2014 at 6:10 am

My husband doesn’t like red meat so I always make my meatballs (and meatloaf) with ground turkey and I think it turns out great. My recipe is slightly different than this one but I bet it would still work well!

March 7, 2014 at 7:15 am

Amanda,
        Thanks for this tip. I’m going to try it with ground turkey next time. ­čÖé

Patti
    March 5, 2014 at 11:02 am

I’m out of sweet baby ray’s. Any BBQ sauce will work right?

Melanie
      March 6, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I did mine last night with Jack Daniel Honey BBQ and they were delish.

Stephanie
    March 5, 2014 at 11:20 am

I would halve this recipe for us. Could you tell me how to halve 3 eggs lol?

sandie
      August 27, 2015 at 12:24 pm

use 2 small eggs or 1 xl egg for 1/2 the recipe.

Mary
    March 5, 2014 at 11:31 am

Sounds and looks great! Always use saltines in my meatloaf …so much better than anything else! Thanks for sharing.

Pam
    March 5, 2014 at 3:32 pm

What brand of honey mustard do you use & will any store have it?

March 5, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I love all your great recipes! They help me make some wonderful dishes without a lot of work and also give me lots of ideas! These meatballs looks wonderful, gotta try them-thanks to you I’ve gained about 6 lbs:)

Miriam
    March 6, 2014 at 7:56 am

Hi Jamie,
    I just wanted to let you you how much I appreciate your blog. So much so that I nominated you for “Best Family Cooking Blog” at:

You deserve the recognition.

Melanie
      March 6, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Miriam,
      I voted as well. Her blog has saved me more than a few times. Nice to have choices that are family friendly and easy.

March 11, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Making these again today, gonna serve over a bed of rice with teriyaki nooldes and brussel sprouts. I bet they would be awesome on a sandwich with the gravy, mushrooms,onions, bell peppers and swiss or provolone cheese

Natasha
    March 8, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Just tried this recipe tonight. I did use breadcrumbs instead of the crackers, though.

The meatballs were really tasty and moist.

My husband and I enjoyed this recipe for the most part… except the sauce was too sweet. I think if I make it again I will put half the sugar or even less.

Carolyn
    July 5, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Great recipe. I did a big batch of these to freeze for my son who recently moved out. They were a big hit. Any ideas if the recipe would work in a crock pot? I’m afraid the sauce wouldn’t cook on in the same way with the sticky yumminess as baking them.I’d like to know if you’ve tried it that way with any luck.

Jill
      October 23, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Bake in the oven first and then warm with sauce in crockpot.

Carole
    August 11, 2014 at 8:04 am

Could I make this recipe into a meatloaf?

Sue
    September 15, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I read 9% lean ground beef….. scares me that you want to use that. 85% lean ground beef would be very tasty.

April
    January 17, 2015 at 3:28 pm

These were delicious. I made half the recipe but the full amount of sauce.

March 9, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Hi,
    I just wanted you to know that I make this recipe 1-2x per month and I do freeze the meatballs to make it easier. It’s amazing. My kids call is “Saucy Balls.” Just thought you deserved a call-out! ­čÖé

deborah ward
    June 11, 2017 at 5:38 am

I have found over the years many people like the flavor that onions give but not the texture of biting into one so I grate my onion on a hand held grater and it works GREAT no pun intended lol