As promised, I have an amazingly simple, yet delicious recipe for green beans for you all today. You can make this in 20 minutes (or less) and you only need 5 ingredients to make it happen. The green beans are crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside. Crisp bacon and caramelized onions are sprinkled over the top to boost the flavor. It’s a great little side dish, gang. Hope you give it a go!
Green Beans with Crispy Bacon
Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up! Inspired by my dear friend Dino Workman
2 pounds fresh green beans
8 slices bacon, sliced
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
1 Tb olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Toss 2 pounds of fresh green beans into a colander and wash them well.
2. Chop 8 slices of bacon into small chunks and place it in a large, deep skillet.
3. Chop 1/2 a small onion and add it into the pan with the bacon. Get the pan onto the stove. Over medium high heat cook the onions and bacon, stirring occasionally. You want the bacon to be crispy and the onions to be translucent. Should take about 7-10 minutes. Once they are done, line a plate with paper towels and carefully place the cooked onions and bacon on it.
4. While the onions and bacon are cooking snip the ends off of your green beans with a pair of kitchen scissors.
5. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease from the pan. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the grease and heat it up over medium high heat. Add the green beans and saute them, stirring occasionally. After about 5 minutes add 1-2 tablespoons hot water and cover the pan. Steaming the beans like this will help the insides to get cooked through. Let them steam for about 3-4 minutes, then remove the lid and give the beans a taste. They are done when they are crisp/tender.
6. Add the bacon and onions back into the pan and hit it all with a bit of salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy!
Have a great weekend everyone!